Chungyen Alice Chang (ciscomatisse) wrote in tellitslant_,
Chungyen Alice Chang
ciscomatisse
tellitslant_

From Dan Bernitt:

"Hey folks,

It's been a hectic couple of months recently, and this summer will be even more hectic -- with performances. Just a quick update for what's been going on recently: at the beginning of March, the University of Kentucky held its first annual V-Day performance of The Vagina Monologues; I served as the director for the show. I am proud to announce that those performances combined raised over $4000 for The Women's Place, a campus organization dedicated to ending violence against women, and nearly 700 people were in attendance. At the end of that month I was invited to perform alongside one of my mentors, Shayla Lawson, at the Kentucky Women Writers Conference's Sex and the Country dinner with Candace Bushnell. (And, goodness, do I have stories to tell.)

April and May have, so far, been slow as I have been preparing for this summer. My solo show, Moments of Disconnect, has been selected for inclusion in two (2!) fringe festivals. For those who don't know, the fringe festivals were started in Scotland and were created to offer performance space and options to artists not selected for Scotland's mainstage theatre festivals. What the artists decided to do was head to the fringes of the town to start their own festival -- thus the fringe festival. The idea has popped up around the world, offering a venue for artists who aren't necessary mainstream to exhibit their work. I've been selected to be in two of America's seven fringe festivals. Thanks to a generous grant from the folks at the Kentucky Center for the Arts and the Kentucky Governor's School for the Arts, I'll be able to perform without any financial concern.

This summer I will appear in Cincinnati and Provincetown. Below is information on ticketing and directions.

June 2-4, 8, 10, 2005 - Cincinnati, OH
Memorial Hall, 1225 Elm Street
Tickets: $10
(Presented by the Cincinnati Fringe Festival)

* Thursday, June 2 - 8:00 pm
* Friday, June 3 - 10:00 pm
* Saturday, June 4 - 5:00 pm
* Wednesday, June 8 - 10:00 PM ***(LOCATION CHANGE: Ensemble Theatre of Cincinnati, 1127 Vine Street)***
* Friday, June 10 - 8:00 pm

( Get Tickets ) and ( Get Directions )

------------------------------

July 22-23, 26-30, 2005 - Provincetown, MA
Provincetown Inn
Tickets: $15/$12 - 9 PM nightly
(Presented by the Provincetown Fringe Festival)

The Provincetown Inn is a small, intimate venue, so be sure to arrive early. The Inn is also wheelchair accessible, air-conditioned, and offers free parking. Also available each night are free refreshments (like wine, seltzer, and lollipops.) Tickets are available online, by calling 508.487.2666, or at the Aquarium Mall (209 Commercial Street) between noon and 8 PM, and at the door. To order tickets online, check out the link below.

( Get Tickets ) and ( Get Directions )

------------------------------

Order your tickets early -- and stock up on gas while prices are low(er)! Also this summer I will be performing with comedian Bernie Lubbers and R&B singer Robbie Bartlett. The dates are still being confirmed, but the cities we're planning to hit are Louisville, Lexington, and Newport. I'll keep you updated.
Thanks, folks. You all have been a tremendous help over the past couple years, and I really do thank you for the support and encouragement.

Take care and drink your water,
Dan Bernitt
and the staff of Sawyer House Productions
(yes, there's now a staff!)

[[Check out www.danbernitt.com for the most up-to-date information.]]

PS: Know of any gay and lesbian artists (any art form: dance, visual art, instrumental music, vocal music, creative writing, film, theatre, fire-breathing and whatnot) in Kentucky? E-mail queerartists@danbernitt.com with information on their work and how to contact them. I'm looking to start a Queer Artist Alliance in Lexington and have a performance/exhibition gala in Spring 2007."

I <3 Dan Bernitt....
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 10 comments