Log in

No account? Create an account

teaching English with a Shimer degree

About anything but ordinary

Previous Entry teaching English with a Shimer degree Jul. 13th, 2006 @ 02:49 pm Next Entry
hi everyone,

I was writing because I'm applying for a one-year post-bacc teacher certification program through a local community college. Because of the No Child Left Behind laws, in order for a person to teach high school English (for example), they need to be "highly specialized" in their field. So basically I need to have 24 credit hours in my subject matter. Unfortunately, my Shimer transcript lists things like "Hum 1" and when I told them it was the equivalent to Literature, they told me lit classes don't transfer to "English" and in fact I'd need to have ENG or COMP (English or Composition) classes in order for those credits to count.

Since I already am $15,000 in debt for a degree I haven't ever really used, it would be nice to not have to spend an extra year and couple thousand dollars taking English or Composition classs.

Has anybody had this problem? Maybe a nice letter from Shimer indicating that ALL the classes were HEAVILY focused in Composition would help?

Thanks in advance,
Current Location: Tucson, AZ
i am: frustratedfrustrated
Leave a comment
Date:July 17th, 2006 05:44 pm (UTC)
I think calling the registrar at Shimer (good luck getting through, I imagine) would be helpful. Good Luck!!!
Date:July 17th, 2006 05:45 pm (UTC)
oops, that was me, psyche!
Date:July 31st, 2006 04:01 am (UTC)

Calling the Registrar at Shimer is Pretty Easy

The number is in their online directory and they've got a form to e-mail her. I got my transcript in 48 hours. It's fine.
(Leave a comment)
Top of Page Powered by LiveJournal.com