?

No account? Create an account

My letter to Young Kim.

About anything but ordinary

Previous Entry My letter to Young Kim. Jan. 19th, 2006 @ 03:25 pm Next Entry
Hi Young.

Honestly, I haven't read your email until just now- right after I received Chris's recent email announcing the official move of Shimer. I was too scared of what it would say, how it would make me feel.

And more deeply honestly, I'm disgusted. I met a delightful young man recently who couldn't stop talking to me about philosophy- and he wanted to know all about the place I attended college and loved so much- and I relished the opportunity to tell him all about it. I stopped short, however; I wasn't going to recommend that this fragile being with beautiful ideas and a desire to co-inqure to go to a subsidiary of IIT, with God-knows-what kind of atmosphere. How could I?

I'm disgusted. I want you to know that unless I'm seriously seduced by an amazing community at IIT a few years down the road, I'll never recommend that another student attend Shimer. I've already convinced two people to matriculate at Shimer- I've always considered it a solemn duty as a Shimerian.

Now I'm a Shimerian in a strange land, a-sojourner-here. Like I needed to be an expatriate of another realm.

Psyche
Leave a comment
Date:January 20th, 2006 10:44 am (UTC)
(Link)
Glad that you feel strongly against the move. I sort of lost steam towards the end. I sort of feel that Shimer has made all sorts of bad decisions like the many leading to the urgency of this move in the first place.
(Leave a comment)
Top of Page Powered by LiveJournal.com