the little brown bear read out of his new book. (anotheryourself) wrote in r_a_r_,
the little brown bear read out of his new book.
anotheryourself
r_a_r_

i had to read ch. 10 twice for a couple of reasons (it's long and intense), but i have some things i will talk about here in a bit.

meanwhile, not a lot of response about next month. someone suggested doing less than a book a month. would that help get more people reading?

(i hope i'm not too pressurey/pestery, i'm just trying to figure out if there's some big reason people aren't reading, that i'm missing. busy-ness and even disinterest is fine, but if this is going in a way you don't want, please tell me.)

meanwhile, as far as next month... books that have been suggested in the past are:

this bridge called my back, ed. cherrie moraga & gloria anzaldua
this bridge we call home ed. gloria anzaldua & anna louise keating
colonize this! young women of color on today's feminism ed. daisy hernandez & bushra rehman
half and half: writers on growing up biracial and bicultural ed. claudine c. o'hearn
killing rage & feminist theory from margin to center & talking back: thinking feminist, thinking black & feminism is for everybody & where we stand, class matters by bell hooks
women, politics and culture by angela davis
loving in the war years (2nd edition) by cherrie moraga
borderlands/la frontera by gloria anzaldua
black feminist thought (2nd edition) by patricia hill collins
zami: a new spelling of my name & sister outsider by audre lorde
notes of a native son by james baldwin
race rebels robin d. g. kelley
colonialism/postcolonialism by ania loomba
power politics & the god of small things by arundhati roy
de colores means all of us: latina views for a multicultured century by elizabeth martinez
caramelo & the house at mango street and women hollering creek by sandra cisneros
how the garcia girls lost their accents & yo! & in the time of butterflies & in the name of salome & something to declare by julia alvarez
wild meat and the belly burgers & blu's hanging by lois-ann yamanaka
the woman warrior & chinamen by maxine hong-kingston
po man's child by marci blackman

passing
notes of a white black woman by judy scales-trent
quicksand & passing by nella larsen
plum bun by jessie raymond fauset

critiques and critical memoirs about whiteness
memoir of a race traitor & my mama's dead squirrel by mab segrest
two or three things i know for sure & bastard out of carolina & skin: talking about sex, class, and literature by dorothy allison
white women, race matters: the social construction of whiteness by ruth frankenburg

"passing for white, passing for black" - adrian piper
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/secret/readings/piper.html

Hammonds, Evelynn. "Black (W)holes and the Geometry of Black Female Sexuality." Differences: A Journal of Feminist Cultural Studies 6, nos. 2-3 (1994):126-145. Reprinted in Feminism Meets Queer Theory, eds. Elizabeth Weed and Naomi Schor, (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1997). Reprinted in African American Literary Theory, ed. Winston Napier, (New York: New York University Press, 2000). Reprinted in Skin Deep, Spirit Strong: The Black Female Body in American Culture, ed Kimberley Wallace Sanders. (Ann ARbor: University of Michigan Press, 2002).

ducille, ann. "Dyes and Dolls: Multicultural Barbie and the Merchandising of Difference" Differences: 1994 Spring, 6:1 reprinted in:The British-American Reader, ed. Gita Rajan. London: Longman's,1994 and in:Black Women Scholars/Work and Struggle: Selected Papers from the 1994 Black Women in the Academy Conference, ed. Robin Kilson.Amherst:University of Massachusetts Press, 1996.

Woman, Native, Other: Writing Postcoloniality and Feminism
Trinh T Min Ha. Indiana University Press. 01 June, 1989.

How To Be a Chicana Rolemodel

Langston Hughes

"Desiree's Baby" Kate Chopin

Black Girl in Paris by Shay Youngblood

Yurugu by Marimba Ani

Race Traitor edited by Noel Ignatiev and John Garvey or Off White: Readings on Race, Power, and Society edited by Michelle Fine, et al (though it might be tough to carry on conversation on an anthology)

Memoir of a Race Traitor by Mab Segrest

Towards the Abolition of Whiteness by David Roediger

Hunger of Memory: The Education of Richard Rodriguez by Richard Rodriguez

The Invention of the White Race, Volume One: Racial Oppression and Social Control by Theodore Allen

Race Rules: Navigating the Color Line by Michael Eric Dyson

Race Rebels: Culture, Politics, and the Black Working Class by Robin D.G. Kelley

Black Wealth/White Wealth: A New Perspective on Racial Inequality by Melvin L. Oliver

The Autobiography of an Ex Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson

Race, Identity, and Representation in Education

"america is in the heart" by carlos bulosan
"becoming mexican american" by george sanchez
"borderlands/la frontera" by gloria anzaldua
"loving in the war years" by cherrie moraga
"dragon ladies: asian americans breathe fire" edited by sonia shah
"the contemporary asian american experience" by timothy fong

black, white and jewish: autobiography of a shifting self by rebecca walker
the isis papers by frances cress welsing

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

so there's lots of things to choose from. or you can suggest more things. anything sound exciting?
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments