Lu (nancy_downs) wrote in pulp_fiction_,
Lu
nancy_downs
pulp_fiction_

Two Sons of Francisco (2005), 7/10

2 Filhos de Francisco (Two Sons of Francisco, Brazil, 2005)
Directed by: Breno Silveira
Rating: "I don't know if it's worth five dollars but it's pretty fucking good." (7/10)

Direction: 4/5
Cinematography: 4/5
Art: 4/5
Script: 3/5
Editing: 3/5
Costume design: 5/5
Soundtrack: 5/5

When my mother came back from her trip to Goiás, after three months away shooting this film, and told me it would be very good, I didn't really believe it. Stop for a moment to consider it: the story of a famous Brazilian duo that plays country music and has the worst kind of fangirl on the planet (yeah, those really squeeky ones). "Yay, mum". I never really liked country music in the first place and, save some very few exceptions, movies about contemporary musicians tend to screw both the film and the musicians themselves.

I started to like it more when I found out that the two of them weren't going to actually act, but only show up eventually in the end of the movie or something like it. A particularly wise decision. We all know what happened to J-Lo.

The film came out and it took me a week to actually find some time to see it. Must say I left the movie theater pretty surprised.

It is good. A very good film. The plot was well developed, and most that could've been screwed wasn't only not ruined, but transformed into a captivating, interesting story that really throws you into the screen and, to be quite honest, made me feel pretty emotive.

The acting of the two young boys is amazing, whom, along with their father, are the best actors of the film. Their singing is pretty good, too, which makes the soundtrack wonderful (even though it isn't my type of music in one bit).

About my mother's costume design, I must say she really knows what she's doing when it comes to clothes for that particular region of Brazil (Centre/Northeast), and this time it was particularly good. Nothing like Casa de Areia, if they can ever be compared, for that was arguably her best work.

Cinematography was pretty good, using shades of yellow for the beginning of the film and a more blue, metal-ish appearance for Brasília, which worked quite well.

I would give it an eight, for all the surprise and the emotion, yadda, yadda, yadda. But there were some flaws that compromised the movie: on the second "act", things got a little out of hand. Not sure, but I think that too much time was spent in useless scenes while the plot could've been developed in a much better way. The first part is so much superior that you leave the movie theater wishing that the film had kept that rhythm. Some merchandising was a bit appalling. Also, the rating quote for seven expressed better how I felt. But, you can just see it as a 7.5.

Even though it is two hours and twenty minutes long, I know it couldn't have been shorter. Passed really fast, though.

A film that had everything to go wrong, managed to turn into something actually good. And to that, I applaud.
Subscribe

• Turtles Can Fly (2004), 8/10

Lakposhtha hâm parvaz mikonand ( Turtles Can Fly, France/Iran/Iraq, 2004) Directed by: Bahman Ghobadi Rating: "This is some serious gourmet…

• Pulp Fiction (1994), 10/10

Pulp Fiction (USA, 1994) Directed by: Quentin Tarantino Rating: "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go home and have a heart attack." (10/10)…

• "Hello, stranger."

- Alice, "Closer" "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... - Star Wars "This is the sad tale of the township of Dogville." - Narrator,…

• Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 3 comments