?

No account? Create an account

09 June 2006 @ 10:08 pm
AU Contest Entry  
Entry #2!!! yay.

Title The Ups and Downs of Being Unique, or, Compatible
Rating PG-13
Pairing KyuHae, implied Shihan, BiJunki
Summary Inspired by X-men!!!!! Kyuhyun knew from the moment he walked through the magnificent double doors...

Kyuhyun knew from the moment he walked through the magnificent double doors that the Sang-Moon Institute was different from all the other schools that he had gone to. He was about to ask where all the other students were, but his guide, a man who called himself Bi, said, "All the students are enjoying their lunches out on the pavilion. Would you like to meet them?" before he could open his mouth.

"You're wondering how I knew what you wanted to ask?" the teacher asked with a twinkle in his eye.

Kyuhyun merely nodded.

"All of us here at SM Institute are--" he hesitated to find the right word. "Special. Different. Unique, even. Anyway, you'll find out soon enough."

And then Bi led him down the winding halls lined in lacquered dark wood and out another set of double doors to a concrete pavilion with white railings.

x

And find out, Kyuhyun did.

Bi left him at a table of nice-looking folk, who all sat around a round, concrete table, staring with wide-eyes at the newcomer, after a short and clipped introduction.

"He's off, looking for Professor Junki," was the first thing said by a boy with a shock of long, red tresses. "I'm Heechul," he said as an afterthought. "But everyone calls me Cinderella, so I suppose you can, too."

"Why 'Cinderella'?"

"Well, I'm pretty, aren't I?" And then he sat back, arms folded, as though very put off by the whole thing. Kyuhyun had half a mind to apologize, but the other half was focusing on the next boy who spoke to him; he had long blonde hair and gentle looking eyes, but his hands were gloved to his elbows.

"Never mind him," the gloved boy said. "He's a bit narcissistic. I'm Donghae."

And that initiated a round of introductions.

There was:

Shiwon, with spiky black hair and full lips, who sat next to

Hankyung, with strawberry-blonde hair and a gentle smile, who sat next to

Kangin, with a loud voice and heavy grip on his glass, who sat next to

Kibum, with smoky eyes and a shy grin, who sat next to

Heechul, who sat next to

Donghae.

Then, Shiwon leaned toward Kyuhyun, a challenging tone to his voice when he asked, "So, Kyuhyun, what do you do?"

Kyuhyun replied with a blank stare, tilting his head in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"Well," Shiwon began, "Heechul is like Professor Junki--he can change forms."

And Heechul grinned cheekily, bringing his hands over his face and his hair, and when he removed his hands, his hair was blonde. Kyuhyun was shocked into silence.

Shiwon thought he still didn't understand. "And, Kibum can create static and electricity and whatnot."

And Kibum's fingers started to crackle at the tips. He touched Heechul and a loud snap! of charges occured (Heechul cried out, "Ow!" while Kibum continued that shy smile of his).

"And Kangin's super strong, and Hankyung can create ice, and I can control fire."

"What does Donghae do?"

"We don't talk about what Donghae does."

"Why?"

The table fell silent. Finally, Donghae muttered, "Because I hurt people."

"And you? Kyuhyun, what about you?" Shiwon asked again quickly, diverting the attention from his blonde friend.

"I...I make normal people weak."

He and Donghae shared a glance.

x

That night was when Bi led him to his room, and Kyuhyun was surprised--glad?--to find that his roomate was Donghae. "Have fun!" Bi had said all too cheerily, then pranced out of the room.

Kyuhyun looked at all his luggage piled by his bed by the window, then at Donghae, who waved hello from his seat against the headboard of his own bed against the wall.

"Bi knows something's up," Donghae said cryptically. "Or, he's just going to get laid. Probably the latter. Need help?"

"Yes, please."

For the next hour, they unloaded all Kyuhyun's clothes. Donghae kept his gloves on, even as sweat trickled over his shoulders and arms.

x

It's one week later (after Heechul had changed his hair color to dark brunette after 5, 6, 8 times, after Hankyung had taken Shiwon ice-skating on the fountain in front of the school, and after Kibum had broken the microwave and television three times each) before Kyuhyun is able to ask Donghae:

"Do you ever take off your gloves?" while they are getting ready for bed.

"When I'm showering," his friend replied easily.

"Anytime else?"

"No."

"Why?"

Donghae froze in the middle of fixing his bed sheets. He sighed. "Do you want to see why, then?"

Kyuhyun nodded.

X

Donghae led him out to the front lawn, where the fountain that Hankyung and Shiwon had skated stood, spouting water onto the fish in its base.

"Come here," Donghae said quietly, and he walked right next to the fountain, taking off his right glove. His fingers looked rough; they were cracked and peeling a bit from both saturation and dryness. Then he dipped his left arm into the fountain, cupping his hand.

Kyuhyun looked on in wonder. Gradually, a small goldfish swam into his palm, and Donghae closed his fist around it. When he opened it again, there remained nothing but a shell, an exoskeleton.

"Satisfied?" Donghae dropped the fish into the grass suddenly, disgusted. He wiped off his hand on his shorts and put the glove back on.

"I never wanted to hurt anybody," he said.

x

No one really understood what Kyuhyun's ability was because he never really exhibited it. Hankyung's and Shiwon's were easy to see; there's ice, and there's fire. Heechul's was easy to see. Kibum's was easy to see.

Then, one day while the students were playing a game of tackle football, Kyuhyun's was easy to see.

Kangin is unstoppable on the field. He pushes people out of the way with a touch of his finger, or a slight shove of the hand. As he runs, the oddly-shaped ball tucked into the nook of his elbow, he gives Eeteuk a particularly hard shove (but that's okay, because Eeteuk just falls through whatever obstacle he comes across).

And then he comes to Kyuhyun, who is standing still right in front of his path. Is it shock that makes him unable to move his legs? The momentum that Kangin has collected does not allow him to stop, and both Kyuhyun and Kangin hold out their hands to brace for the collision.

Only, Kangin's hand comes into contact with Kyuhyun's hand first, and when he runs into Kyuhyun, he feels all the strength leave him; it's like hitting a brick wall.

The ball falls out of his arms. He stops, suddenly feeling weaker than he has ever felt before.

"I make normal people weak," Kyuhyun had said.

x

That's when they started to experiment.

If Kyuhyun held onto Hankyung's right hand, the ice cream still melted in his left. If Kyuhyun leaned against Shiwon's shoulder, Shiwon couldn't burn the tips of Heechul's ever-changing hair. If Kyuhyun ruffled Kibum's hair, televisions and microwaves would go unbroken.

Kyuhyun didn't try it with Donghae, though; Donghae wouldn't let him.

x

Two months later, it was suddenly winter, and Donghae loved it because he didn't look like a total fool wearing gloves all day long, and Hankyung loved it because he was in his element (although Shiwon hated it; he would sit by the fire for hours and hours unless Hankyung pulled him outside with promises of heat later), and Heechul loved it because the weather made his cheeks attractively rosy, and Kibum loved it because the dry air made the electricity crackle with more zeal.

Kyuhyun hated it, though. He had always hated winter.

One day Donghae pulled him outside to make snow angels and snow men, and Kyuhyun hated the cold so much that the next day he faked being sick so that he could stay within with walls of the school.

He didn't mind, though, because Donghae, feeling guilty, stayed with him, bringing up trays of soup and medicine.

x

It was three months later, in the beginning of spring, when Kyuhyun finally felt at home (after Kangin had plowed right through one of the walls of the mathematics room, after Shiwon had set fire to the couch in the recreational room in the attempt to warm himself, and Hankyung had turned the couch into solid ice, after Kibum accidentally burnt Cinderella's hair while staying too close to the outlet as Heechul used the hair-dryer). He didn't mind all the strange people anymore, or Bi chasing a bewildered Professor Junki, who at one moment would be a cat, and the next moment a beautiful woman, and the next, himself. He especially didn't mind Donghae, who sometimes talked him to sleep on restless nights, and always put his covers back on if Kyuhyun kicked them off during sleep.

So Kyuhyun said one night as Donghae sat on the edge of his bed, "Hyung, why don't you take off your gloves, now? You won't hurt me."

But Donghae only fell silent for a very long time, and then he rose, making the bedsprings creak.

They went to sleep without another word.

x

Two weeks later, he tried again. But this time, Donghae was asleep. It was three o'clock in the morning.

Kyuhyun rose from bed silently, slipping out from beneath the covers, watching Donghae from across the room. He didn't stir.

He let himself sigh when he was by Donghae's bed, and gasp when he slipped off a glove from Donghae's right hand easily. Once again, the cracked skin.

Donghae's hand was rough and calloused to the touch, and when Kyuhyun clasped the older boy's hand in his, nothing happened.

x

Nothing happened until Donghae awoke suddenly, surprised at the contact, terrified at the contact. He sat up and pulled his hand away, leaning away from Kyuhyun as much as he could.

"What did you do?" he whispered harshly. "What did you do, what did you do?"

"I just--I was holding your hand, Donghae. I was holding it and nothing happened to me." He tried to take hold of Donghae's hand again, but the blonde kept pulling away.

And then Kyuhyun lunged. He lunged so that he was nearly on top of the older boy and finally, finally, he grabbed his hyung's ungloved arm, and then let his fingers slide down the skin there until their hands were palm to palm.

"Stop it," Kyuhyun hissed. "See?"

Kyuhyun saw that there were tears in Donghae's eyes.

"Nothing's happening," Donghae whimpered. "Nothing's happening to you."

"I know." The darker-haired boy sat up slowly, but Donghae didn't seem to want to break the contact.

Quite suddenly, Donghae had stripped the other glove from his hand, and he cupped Kyuhyun's face gently, unsure of himself. Kyuhyun smiled.

The blonde let one of his hands trail over Kyuhyun's shoulders, then over his biceps, forearm, wrist, then laced their fingers together, while the other hand slowly worked its way underneath the younger boy's tee-shirt.

Kyuhyun gasped again when Donghae's palm was pressed flat against his abdomen, and Donghae pulled away, expecting the worst.

"No," Kyuhyun almost-whined. "Keep it there. Keep going."

And Donghae obliged.

x

Nothing can be more disturbing that walking into a room and finding two naked boys lying in the same bed with their arms wrapped around each other. At least, nothing can be more disturbing to Heechul.

So, Heechul was perfectly within his own right when he screamed shrilly, waking the two boys and everyone else in the dorm.

"Heechul, stop screaming like a girl," one of the boys, the boy with darker hair, said groggily.

"Yeah, 'Rella," his partner said weakly. "Sh'up."

Heechul stopped screaming. He ran out of the room and straight down the hall into Kibum's, forgetting whatever it was that he wanted to tell them.

"Kibum! Kibum, wake up! Wake up! Did you know about this? Did you? Did you know? I just saw Shiwon and Hankyung naked on a bed!"

xx

[AN] Oh, haha I am evil. OMG wow that was very AU. ^_^ Also, I feel like that was the first intimate scene I've ever described in detail. *_* Comments appreciated.

-quix

Current Mood: awake
Current Music: Jerk - YiDa Huang

dbsklove on June 10th, 2006 02:50 am (UTC)
haha what an interesting fic o_o" donghae's kinda like rogue, huh? =P lol poor donghae.. he got all teary~ but im glad that he was able to take his gloves off :D and haha OMG the last scene i was like OMG. NO WAY. WTHECK O.O! and then it was siwon and hankyung LMAO xP
Quixquixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 02:55 am (UTC)
^^'

I suppose, yeah, Donghae's a bit like Rogue.

hehe, I enjoyed putting in the Shihan.
BØX; Daisy St. Patience.: Aiji kirito // mekyuhyun on June 10th, 2006 02:52 am (UTC)
Best. Random. AU. EVER! X-Men+Super Junior = ♥

And I think I'm starting to like KyuHae...o_o;
Quixquixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 02:55 am (UTC)
YAY!♥♥♥

KyuHae is SO CUTE. KYUHYUN IS CUTE TOO. ♥
{ howling at the autumn moon  }+{ s h i g u r e }: Mehyperballad on June 10th, 2006 02:57 am (UTC)
So the ending? Perfection.

If you, say, ever wanted to add a few more parts to this, that'd be pretty cool. I was really digging the idea of SuJu with super powers.
Quixquixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 02:59 am (UTC)
aw, shucks. SHIHAN = WIN

Yeah, there should be a whole SuJu series of them as the x-men, or something. ^^
{{ a y a m e | mabudachi trio }}hoyah on June 10th, 2006 03:01 am (UTC)
xD I love the ending. I love that you ended with ShiHan instead of KyuHae. xD ZOMG what a surprise ending. *dies a LOT*
Quixquixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 03:08 am (UTC)
YAY SHIHAN!

although, now your imaginations can run wild with the kyuhae.
(no subject) - hoyah on June 10th, 2006 03:16 am (UTC) (Expand)
(no subject) - quixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 03:18 am (UTC) (Expand)
★; plays with squirrelschoisiwon on June 10th, 2006 03:03 am (UTC)
I love the ending. XD! So much. SHIHAN FOR THE WIN!!! -has been converted in the last two days-

Suju with super powers is the sexy!
Quixquixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 03:08 am (UTC)
CONVERSION YAY!

Suju with anything is sexy. But super powers are pretty sexy as well.
duntuchdakei on June 10th, 2006 03:15 am (UTC)
awwwwwwwwwwwww CUTE. and heechul so enjoyed it.

i like the implying of bijunki and shihan (although that one's a given for you), too xD
Quixquixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 03:16 am (UTC)
UM.

MWAHAHAHAH?

SHIHAN = BIGSUPER!WIN, that's why.
Still Into Youthoughtless on June 10th, 2006 03:18 am (UTC)
.................-DIES-

8D!! HOGNMDLghdkhsh HOMG THAT ENDING -dead x's 294325- 8D!! _ _ homg -makes self stop giggling- |D;;;;;;;;;;;;;; -tears in eyes-

asdh YOU USED ONE OF MY FAV THINGS ;o; XMAN!!!The ice skating~~ 8D ringed especially close to home and I could imagine well!! T_T; and I think I might like Kyu some actually cause of your fic.

Lovely.

Please 8D write more~
Quixquixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 03:20 am (UTC)
........||REVIVES!!!!||

OMG A FELLOW XMAN OBSESSIVE!!!! ICEMAN!!!=MY FAVE!!!

It's good that you like Kyu. Kyu needs to be liked. ^^

And I'll try to write more.

hip - hop kid.: heechul with his sexy ponytailshinya on June 10th, 2006 03:25 am (UTC)
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Love. ♥
Quixquixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 03:27 am (UTC)
^___________^

||loves back||
1/3 of the OTOT3 <3 :D: 韩庚: OMG PANDAbooshoo on June 10th, 2006 04:04 am (UTC)
flsdkjsdf ♥♥♥♥ NO WORDS, WOMAN. NO WORDS. *continues pouring on the love* ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Quixquixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 12:22 pm (UTC)
||basks in the love||

^_____________^!!!!!!!

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
⚜ tempest in a teacup ⚜pieces on June 10th, 2006 04:22 am (UTC)
CONTINUE THIS FIC PLSKTHNX.

.. I loved the last part. 8D
1/3 of the OTOT3 <3 :D: 희철: Femme Fatale (boy got curves)booshoo on June 10th, 2006 06:02 am (UTC)
I SECOND THE CONTINUATION VOTE! (and slut!rella icon does too. ;D)
(no subject) - quixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 12:23 pm (UTC) (Expand)
missnhaca on June 10th, 2006 04:47 am (UTC)
I HAVENT EVEN READ IT YET BUT OMFG BIXJUNKI OMFG OMFG OMFG -CANT BREATHE-
missnhaca on June 10th, 2006 04:57 am (UTC)
...Quix. Uhm I love you? Even though this had SHIHAN (YEGADS!!!!) and NewBoyxHae (akjtakl??? I do not understand you or Mica in the SLIGHTEST), this was AMAZING. SJ + XMEN = DEFAULT!WIN.

I just have to words. And BixJunki. pls have sex with me again. I LOVE YOU!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!
(no subject) - quixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 12:24 pm (UTC) (Expand)
is it possible you're using the wrong orifice?: 동해 | ready for lifewishpaper on June 10th, 2006 05:47 am (UTC)
You. Win. The. Internet.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Quixquixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 12:24 pm (UTC)
i suppose that's a good thing.

^_____^

♥♥♥♥♥
``크리시``system_chaos on June 10th, 2006 06:04 am (UTC)
KYUHAEEEEEEEE~~~~~~~

alksdagksdhgfaskjdf *loves*
``크리시``system_chaos on June 10th, 2006 06:18 am (UTC)
that was. :OOO skhdfgksj HAHAHA XDDDDD

the ending was the best. I WAS LIKE HOMG THEY DID IT?!?!?! LITTLE SLUTTTTTS! and it turned out to be shihan which is in NO WAY a disappointment.

X-MEN!!!!!!!! RAWR. Make this into a cheptered fic. :x Or just a continuation. :)
(no subject) - quixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 12:25 pm (UTC) (Expand)
Little Miss I Must Have an Opinion on Everything: prom princessevil_zucchini on June 10th, 2006 06:30 am (UTC)
although Shiwon hated it; he would sit by the fire for hours and hours unless Hankyung pulled him outside with promises of heat later

"Kibum! Kibum, wake up! Wake up! Did you know about this? Did you? Did you know? I just saw Shiwon and Hankyung naked on a bed!"

I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO STICK SHIHAN IN THERE. And the X-Men thing was inspired. Maybe if they put Suju in the cast, I'd have liked the third movie better. xDD

Quixquixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 12:26 pm (UTC)
!!!!!!!!

Xavier's School For Gifted SM Members. YAY.
quiet_morning: heechulrawr!quiet_morning on June 10th, 2006 06:52 am (UTC)
now they really are SUPER junior...lol! <-- ok yea the punchline there was uber lame... so lame it was SUPER lame *"super lame" echos*

but AHHHHHHHH I enjoyed the heck out of this! I could just eat your bouncy Bi he was so cute! and the ending! XD
Quixquixoxotic on June 10th, 2006 12:26 pm (UTC)
^_^!

your puns are appreciated! hehehe.

♥♥♥♥♥♥