?

No account? Create an account

18 January 2010 @ 09:21 am
[tutorial] posting on miracle______  
I've noticed that there has been a lot of confusion due to the font rule on miracle______ . I hope this helps some of you who are fairly new to LJ and don't really understand the options, yet, but want to abide by the rules and have a pleasant experience.

To post a fic at Miracle, you have two options.
First, you can post it on your journal, and then post a link at Miracle (this is probably the simplest, if you want to find it easily in the future, or plan to edit it at all).
Alternatively, you can post it at the Miracle community, under an LJ-cut.

I will tell you how to do both.

Option one: Link a post from your journal.

Step 1: Post the fic at your own personal journal. Make sure you haven't locked it, or no one will be able to access it, and a mod will ask you to fix the problem.

Step 2: Open a new posting window. It should look like this:

At the top, change the Post to: field to miracle______, as shown.
Do not edit the date. If you are not breaking the rules by trying to post more than once per day, there is no reason to touch this. It messes up the community archive and makes you look pretty silly, if you do.
Pick your userpic.
Now, look over on the right-hand side, where I've circled two little tabs. Rich text is probably singlehandedly responsible for most of the lj-cut fail we see at miracle______ . It's unwieldy, difficult to edit, and makes it impossible to fix mistakes, half the time. I strongly suggest you do not use it. Instead, make sure you have clicked on HTML, and your window looks like the above picture.

Step 3: Enter your header. It should look something like this:

Note that I have listed my fic title in the Subject: field, and title, pairing, rating, some notes, and a teaser/summary line in the body of the post. Miracle's rules state that all fics should list title, pairing/subject, rating and summary in the header. This not only allows mods to tag your fic easily, but it allows members to decide whether or not they want to read your fic, by getting a general idea of what it's about.

Note the lack of tags at the bottom. Mods will do this, you don't need to beg them, ask them, or complain about how long it takes. It will happen.
Note the lack of Mood or moodtheme. Nobody really needs to see your enormous, animated moodtheme.
Note the lack of Location. Most members do not actually care if you are in Eunhyuk's left pocket or not. Please save it for your own journal.
Note the lack of Music. This isn't a biggie, but honestly, is it important to your fic? If it is, why don't you just put it on your fic post in your journal?
Don't change the comment settings by screening or disallowing comments. That just makes it look like you knew you did something wrong and you're trying to avoid getting called on it.

(Note: If you used Rich text mode, after everything I warned you about, this is how your entry should look right now. Don't make any edits to the font size or color. None.)

Got all that? Good. Now go to Preview, NOT Post.

Your Preview, at this stage, should look like this:

This is what members would see if they went to the main page of miracle______ and saw your fic there. Note the lack of obnoxiously-sized, multicolored font. All the links work, none of the HTML has broken, so you can continue.

Step 4: Post to miracle______

Do not change the Show this entry to: field. It should be set to public, regardless.
Post.
Now go check your f-list and make sure everything showed up properly and links to the right place. If there are any mistakes, edit and save.

Congratulations, you've posted!

Option two: Post directly at Miracle.

Step 1: Open a new posting window. It should look like this:

At the top, change the Post to: field to miracle______, as shown.
Do not edit the date. If you are not breaking the rules by trying to post more than once per day, there is no reason to touch this. It messes up the community archive and makes you look pretty silly, if you do.
Pick your userpic.
Now, look over on the right-hand side, where I've circled two little tabs. Rich text is probably singlehandedly responsible for most of the lj-cut fail we see at miracle______ . It's unwieldy, difficult to edit, and makes it impossible to fix mistakes, half the time. I strongly suggest you do not use it. Instead, make sure you have clicked on HTML, and your window looks like the above picture.

Step 2: Enter your header, then type (or copy/paste) your fic into the field, like so...

Double-check your HTML tags. You should have the cut tag <*lj-cut text="something here"> at the beginning, and you should close the cut tag with <*/lj-cut> at the end. Take out the * for both.

(Note: If you used Rich text mode, after everything I warned you about, this is how your entry should look right now. Look at the instructions on the picture for how to do an LJ-cut using Rich text. Also, be warned that you can't actually fix a mistake with an LJ-cut in Rich text, easily. You should really just do it in HTML instead. Again, don't make any edits to the font size or color. None.)

Go to Preview, not Post. It should look like this:

The preview will not show your LJ-cut as it actually appears on your f-list or on the Miracle main page, so this is deceptive. If there is an error in the LJ-cut, you won't find it until after you post. At any rate, you can check for typos here and at least make sure the font looks normal.

All set? Then continue.

Step 3: Post to miracle______

Do not change the Show this entry to: field. It should be set to public, regardless.
Post.
Now go check your f-list and make sure the LJ-cut works, and didn't just vomit broken HTML all over LJ. It happens to everyone, sooner or later. If there are any mistakes, fix them and save.

Congratulations, you've posted!

What Not To Do:
If at any stage, the preview of your final post looks like any of these, you've made a mistake. Fix it before a mod has to come point it out, and save yourself a warning.

In the first, I've forgotten to close a 'bold' tag, and all of my header is subsequently bolded. This is really unnecessary, and I should correct it by fixing the majority of the font back down to default.

In the second, it looks innocent, but I've actually bumped the font size up one level from default. It's bigger than normal, may look creepy on a lot of people's f-lists, and will net me a warning if I don't fix it.

In the third, I've not only bumped it up to bigger-than-default size, but I've plastered it all in an obnoxious color that will probably make people angry when it hits their f-list. I need to avoid doing that.

And in this one, I'm just demonstrating a complete disregard for every other member of miracle, everyone on the mod team, and my future reputation as a poster on the community. All of you want to stab me in the face right now, right? Well, that's how everyone feels when they see it on their f-list, too. Don't do it.

*posted with mod permission.

i enjoy wookgasms!thundersquall on January 18th, 2010 12:28 am (UTC)
HOMG FUU I LOVE YOU LAUGHING FOREVER OMG (that last one is the winnest of the win)

That said, thank you for the very detailed tutorial and the time you took to do this!

Edited at 2010-01-18 12:29 am (UTC)
shihan_aishihan_ai on January 18th, 2010 12:39 am (UTC)
thank you for all your (and other mods') hard work and for clearing up some things for people, it's needed i think

I know this is serious, but the last one just made me LOL =D
the golden bitch: Heechul | ♥umberela on January 18th, 2010 12:48 am (UTC)
ilusfm ♥
luminous beingtaylormercury on January 18th, 2010 01:06 am (UTC)
I love you so hard for this 8D
Victoriaicerose1224 on January 18th, 2010 01:36 am (UTC)
thanks for this! awesome job. :) the last what not to do was the most epically funny one. :)
a constellation-making machinenotablender on January 18th, 2010 01:47 am (UTC)
dead XD
몰리 야: Sungmin1tehgirlwonder on January 18th, 2010 02:26 am (UTC)
Hahahaha, I love you. >w<
The last one burst me into a fit of giggles.

But thank you for the time you took to make this for those who need it~ :)
Aurore: Siwon ♥ Jongwoon ♥ Kibumabcangels on January 18th, 2010 02:47 am (UTC)
I wanted to do the same for my community but I am a lazy ass. but now I think I'll send the members to this post. :D

The SILENT READERS GOT TO HELL made me giggle like the horrible girl I am. ♥
bundles and bundles of loooooove: hangengmearii87 on January 18th, 2010 02:51 am (UTC)
Words cannot express my utter love for you. <3 Thx for the hard work (and as serious as this is,the last bit made me lol, so thanks.)
ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノmawaru_berry on January 18th, 2010 03:09 am (UTC)
THAT LAST ONE. LAUGHING FOREVER.

I'll be sure not to bold anything anymore!

(sorry, I usually just copy&paste from my journal—and I'm dumb. FORGIVE ME)

Thank you for taking the time to do this ^_^
ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノmawaru_berry on January 18th, 2010 04:42 am (UTC)
Oh wait, I read this wrong. I've been a good lil poster. Nevermind.

But this just further proves that I'm dumb.

T_T
halcyon_mornhalcyon_morn on January 18th, 2010 04:47 am (UTC)
...best thing I've read on miracle______ in ages. XD & ♥
she's a ma-ma-ma-ma-machine~razi_a on January 18th, 2010 05:18 am (UTC)
I cracked up so much and I think I love you.

Thank you for taking the time to do this ♥
AnaBananabunnylla on January 18th, 2010 08:47 am (UTC)
*loading...*

I've committed a few crimes like this before. =))
gummylovesmegummylovesme on January 18th, 2010 10:20 am (UTC)
Just curious, I always link the fic to my journal, and I don't use the tags but I can still change what appears on the screen to a line on my work. I guess that's not against the rules right?

Anyway, thank you for this, and the last one made me LOL so hard.
gummylovesmegummylovesme on January 18th, 2010 10:40 am (UTC)
I meant the tag
g_myzo on January 18th, 2010 10:50 am (UTC)
love it lol XD
i y a f a c e。♡conflate on January 18th, 2010 03:15 pm (UTC)
Girl, you are hilarious ♥
mister fish, did you die?tees2mai on January 30th, 2010 08:17 am (UTC)
HOLY SHIT. This must have taken hella long to do! Thank you for taking time out of your life to help people out.
This was funny XD
luhyukhae on April 19th, 2010 09:57 am (UTC)
just asked one thing since I really want to upload my fanfic here. hehe
I click post but I couldn't find miracle________ at the post to bar.
thx before
{ ha . to . ri ||| マブ達の三人 }coyotecolored on April 19th, 2010 10:11 am (UTC)
you need to be a member of miracle______ to post at the comm. have you requested to join? ^^
(Deleted comment)
{ ha . to . ri ||| マブ達の三人 }coyotecolored on April 19th, 2010 12:58 pm (UTC)
there's also a post on the community where you have to comment. check the sidebar to find a link, ok? ^^
luhyukhae on April 19th, 2010 12:58 pm (UTC)
mmm yep.. maybe 3 times?
I just opened my email and they said that my request has been declined.

why?
thx before^^
wannabeyourfourleafclover. ♡piinkduck on May 31st, 2010 06:27 pm (UTC)
:x uhm i cant find miracle________ on my post bar. ;o
i requested to join the community.
{ ha . to . ri ||| マブ達の三人 }coyotecolored on May 31st, 2010 10:05 pm (UTC)
you also have to comment on the community post about moderated membership. check the sidebar to find the link, ok?
wannabeyourfourleafclover. ♡piinkduck on June 1st, 2010 12:08 am (UTC)
ooh. thank you so much (':
allriseryeong15 on June 25th, 2010 11:22 am (UTC)
hi thanks for this!
hi again, i'm Just new here, i have a problem, i can't change the post to: allriseryeong15 to miracle_____:(((
what should i do? please reply, THANKS SO MUCH!! :))
{ ha . to . ri ||| マブ達の三人 }coyotecolored on June 25th, 2010 01:53 pm (UTC)
Re: hi thanks for this!
First you've got to join miracle______ and request membership at the request post.
allriseryeong15 on July 5th, 2010 08:46 am (UTC)
Re: hi thanks for this!
how to request? thanks so much!!
anncho: annanncho on November 8th, 2010 12:32 pm (UTC)
Help needed...
Hey....am still in confusion about posting my fics from my journal...ummmmm....i don't know how to link it from my journal to community....if you have time...can you explain it to me, as am not able to get it through my thick head....will be really obliged for your help...Thank you..
{ ha . to . ri ||| マブ達の三人 }: some like it roughcoyotecolored on November 8th, 2010 12:40 pm (UTC)
Re: Help needed...
Ok, did you post the fic in your personal journal already?
annchoanncho on November 8th, 2010 12:51 pm (UTC)
yeah... i have done that....
{ ha . to . ri ||| マブ達の三人 }: surprise! you're bleeding! :Dcoyotecolored on November 8th, 2010 12:53 pm (UTC)
ok, then follow the steps for Option one, above.
all you need to do is make another post, set the post to: field to miracle, and then type up a header, and point the link to the post in your journal.
annchoanncho on November 8th, 2010 01:01 pm (UTC)
eeehhh??????? hehehehe..this will sound funny but, that's the link am not getting..
{ ha . to . ri ||| マブ達の三人 }: surprise! you're bleeding! :Dcoyotecolored on November 8th, 2010 01:14 pm (UTC)
ok, go to the fic you want to post, in your personal journal. look at the address bar at the top of your browser. copy that link address (it should look like http://anncho.livejournal.com/some numbers.htm).

now start a new post, to the miracle community. it should look something like this.

write your own header, with title, pairing, rating, and notes. then, at the bottom, you write the text you want to show up as a link to your journal post where the fic is, and put < a href="http://anncho.livejournal.com/whatever numbers you copied earlier.htm"> around that text (without the space after the '<'). last, preview, click the link in your preview window to make sure it takes you to the right place. that should be all you need to do.
annchoanncho on November 8th, 2010 01:21 pm (UTC)
Re: Thanks...
Ahhhh...i get it now...And really thanks for helping it out....*hugs*..
readysetdroolreadysetdrool on November 13th, 2010 08:58 am (UTC)
thank you for sharing this. reading is not bad. it helps! thank you! <3
iqa_qeefaiqa_qeefa on May 24th, 2011 03:12 am (UTC)
aahh....why i cant do it??the lj cut tag??TT__TT it was my 1st time at here..
Minsawesomenesskyuminaddict on October 4th, 2011 05:07 pm (UTC)
Thanks lots!!! Im new to LJ and thanks to your tutorial I have posted my fic on LJ. But there are still so many questions I have to ask.
You dont mind me asking do you??

T___T hehe!
ruspring on October 11th, 2011 03:15 am (UTC)
So... I know it says I don't need to ask about tags, but am I doing something wrong? I've posted several fics here (starting back in June, I think) and they still haven't been tagged. I suppose you guys are busy and stuff, though.
Keypumpkinpurin on October 27th, 2011 12:24 pm (UTC)
i laughed so hard when i was reading the last part!!
Muahahaha oh My GOD!
Portertrinkdufreak on November 4th, 2011 12:53 am (UTC)
wow, thank you for this.
it helped so much you have no idea :/
The Warrior of Lightcloudpriestess on February 7th, 2012 10:58 am (UTC)
Thanks for this, I'm still a bit newb in this community and this really helped me out.

LOL on the last part XD
vlmasj825vlmasj825 on March 22nd, 2012 02:57 pm (UTC)
hi! ^^
i just wanted to ask
if you post at miracle, then will the post appear at your own journal?
if it doesn't, does that mean we have to post it again in our own journal to be seen at both places?
thank you lots!!
bonchan24bonchan24 on June 4th, 2012 08:41 pm (UTC)
I want to ask. When I happened to post a new fic, it showed : "Error updating journal: Client error: Maximum queued posts for this community+poster combination reached". What shoul I do?
kpoplyrics9 on December 5th, 2012 07:22 am (UTC)
ahn young haseyo KPOP Fan^^,

Just to let you know that the $.99 version of KPOP Lyrics for iPhone is now free.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kpop-lyrics-plus/id469029548?mt=8

We gave away 7 prizes last week for our KPOP Blogger event and looking to give away more money and prizes.

It's simple, just blog anything about KPOP Lyrics and post your link here:

http://www.facebook.com/KpopLyrics/app_161683100556760

We will be choosing more winners and look forward to your participation!!

Your fan,

KPOP Lyrics
syenyayenyen: ZhouWook 2syenyayenyen on December 27th, 2012 02:22 am (UTC)
Hi there! I'm a new member here and having some problems with posting, in that I don't have posting access to the community... I looked around everywhere and couldn't find anything to say that new members can't post for a certain amount of time, or you have to do something else, or anything like that, except in a previous comment and answer that said you had to comment on a request post (I found that and saw the big red banner that said it was no longer necessary... so yeah.)

Also on the community profile it says that posting is open to all members, so I went to look at the LJ FAQ. It said that if you don't have posting access to a community you had to contact the owner or maintainer and ask them to give you access... so if it's alright, could someone please help me out? ^^