?

No account? Create an account

15 September 2009 @ 07:11 pm
[mod] A Useful Post of Useful Things  
A Useful Post of Useful Things
Just getting started in the world of livejournal-based fanfiction? Wondering how a few things work, like how to link to your fics, or how to rate something, or why a summary might be important? This post includes useful links about useful and necessary things in the world of online fanfiction! So if there's something you've been wondering how to do, the answer may just be right here!

• Need to provide a link to your fanfic but not sure how? LJ's FAQ how to add a link!

• Not a fan of rich text, and want to know how people get their text to do all those different neat tricks? Basic HTML for formatting text!

• Not sure how to go about rating your fic? Official (US) film ratings!
    This is a good basic guideline to keep in mind when rating your fic. But remember, stories are not movies, and words don't have the same immediate impact that pictures can have, so it's a good idea to stop and think for a moment about how you wrote your fic, the events/situations protrayed within it, and how you show them happening. Keep in mind the kind of language used to express things; harsh, violent, explicit language? Does it describe exactly what's taking place in detail? Is there violence, or sexual situations, or other kinds of adult situations (like drug use, explicit language, dark themes)?

• It's a good idea to try and visualise your fic, and then decide from there how it would look to other people, and who you think should or shouldn't be able to read about it.

• Not good at writing summaries? How to write a summary!
    Summaries are important things, they are what will sell your story to potential readers, and a lot of the time will be the deciding factor in whether or not someone will choose to read your fanfic. It's all about advertising yourself, in a short amount of words, outlining what your story is about, but not giving away the whole thing (or else, who will want to read it, if you've just told them what happens?) And this page explains the whats, hows and whys behind writing a good summary for your story.

• It's easy to get right, but even easier to get wrong! Don't put those potential readers off by making a bad first impression!

(It should also be noted that things like 'I suck at summaries, please read anyway!' do not make a good impression, and most people will be inclinded to believe that you also suck at writing fics. Leave insecurities somewhere else, preferably a personal journal! It's also not a good idea to ask for comments in this section, either. Proper typing/spelling always helps, too!)

• Wondering how to improve your writing skills? fandom_grammar!
    It's a good community as far as actual writing/technique is concerned. If you're looking to improve your writing, learn more about English grammar and the way it works, or just want to learn about something you might not have known before, then this is the community to look through! There are posts about spelling/grammar, technique, writing tips, and all sorts! It's very informative, for those who are interested in how to use language to their advantage in writing.

• And lastly (for now) I'd just like to run through quickly what a proper fic header is supposed to look like! All over the internet, wherever you might post fanfiction, the same kind of information is considered required and necessary! (And here at miracle______ we also ask that all fics contain full, proper headers).
    That information generally tends to be: the title of the story; the rating; the pairing (or subject/focus, if its not a pairing), a summary, and warnings if there are any.

• Other information that can also be included is the author of the fic, the genre of the story (is it romance, angst, horror etc?) and any additional, necessary notes that you feel relevant to the understanding of your fic prior to reading.

Information in the header should also be easy to read and identify. A good template to follow for one is this:

Title: The Things That Go Bump In The Night
    Rating: PG-13
    Pairing: Donghae/Shiwon
    Summary: Donghae, a curious boy by nature, has always wondered what creatures make the bumps in the night, but his curiosity leads him into a situation even he'd never imagined.
    Notes: AU.

That's just a basic outline however, and your header doesn't have to look exactly like that, different people like to format headers in their own way! As long as potential readers can clearly see all the necessary information, the layout of your header is fair game! If you're not sure, it's a good idea to look at other posts made to the community and see how other people do it!

(I'd like to make a quick note about warnings, too. Things like 'un-betaed' are not warnings - and if they are, it's the wrong kind of warning and won't make people want to read your fic. In a similar vein, beta's are not always necessary either, I rarely use a beta myself, because I always proofread my own work. It's an excellent, and recommended, thing to do! You should always read over your own work a few times before posting, to catch any mistakes that you can!)

(However, if you're writing in English and it is not your native language, or you know that you aren't particularly good at spelling/grammar, a beta in that case is a very Good idea!)

And that brings me to the end of useful things you may want to know! I hope this provides some help to people, especially those who are new to the world of online fanfiction, and posting it to livejournal. If there's anything you'd like me to expand upon, or anything else useful that ought to be included, feel free to leave a comment!

Happy writing :)!

Current Mood: cheerful
    Current Music: David Bowie // Moonage Daydream

let's pack our bags and find our own way.fabriclies on September 16th, 2009 12:20 am (UTC)
    (It should also be noted that things like 'I suck at summaries, please read anyway!' do not make a good impression, and most people will be inclinded to believe that you also suck at writing fics. Leave insecurities somewhere else, preferably a personal journal! It's also not a good idea to ask for comments in this section, either. Proper typing/spelling always helps, too!)
    lmfao, this, so hard.

thanks for taking the time to do this. ♥
    luminous beingtaylormercury on September 16th, 2009 07:23 am (UTC)
    That was an excerpt from the Do's and Do Not's Of Writing Fanfiction that I want to write, but never will XD
    { howling at the autumn moon  }+{ s h i g u r e }hyperballad on September 16th, 2009 02:06 am (UTC)
    You're such a hottie.
    The answer with a question mark: stitch - hug menemesae on September 16th, 2009 06:19 am (UTC)
    You finally did it and made that post 8D

Maybe it's worth mentioning that warnings could be included. Personally, I dislike character deaths and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. What should be discouraged is the use of 'warning: unbeta-ed'. Writers can take the time to read their fic over and then it's technically beta-ed. But that's a personal opinion, of course. Good post though!!
    The answer with a question marknemesae on September 16th, 2009 06:20 am (UTC)
    Oh wait, the warnings ARE included. I completely read over that x_x Maybe that was my compulsion to mention 'warning: unbeta-ed' again...
    luminous beingtaylormercury on September 16th, 2009 07:24 am (UTC)
    Edited to add your note about the unbetaed thing! Because I totally forgot about that, but it is true, it's not a warning XD (or...not the kind of warning writers actually want to send out >> )
    The answer with a question marknemesae on September 16th, 2009 07:56 am (UTC)
    Victorious 8D!
    make happiness a habit ♥yunsias on September 16th, 2009 09:48 am (UTC)
    Hmmmm...if I want to state the inspiration of the fic or why I want to write this, it should be under "AN", right?
    luminous beingtaylormercury on September 16th, 2009 03:57 pm (UTC)
    Yeah that kind of information would go in your A/N! :D
    Cokilifebandaid on September 17th, 2009 10:31 am (UTC)
    Do we still need to put the "I do not own Super Junior" disclaimer or no need?
    luminous beingtaylormercury on September 17th, 2009 10:39 am (UTC)
    Well at this community we don't ask that members include a disclaimer, because it's obviously a given to all of us here that no one owns Super Junior and what's being written is all fiction!

It's up to the individual author, but I find it entirely unnecessary when posting to this community. We all know, afterall XD And personally, I have a disclaimer in the profile of my own writing journal, but never mention it again afterwards! It being fanfiction automatically means no one owns what they're writing about XD
    Cokilifebandaid on September 17th, 2009 10:42 am (UTC)
    Okay thanks ^^

I saw some others putting it, and then some of my friends were all, "You better put it or you'll get sued!" XDD
    luminous beingtaylormercury on September 17th, 2009 10:52 am (UTC)
    No you won't get sued XD And actually we have a general disclaimer in the community info, which I think voids entirely the necessity for individuals to include disclaimers of their own!
    (Deleted comment)
    luminous beingtaylormercury on September 24th, 2009 12:06 am (UTC)
    I'm glad you find it helpful! I hoped it would be! Thanks! :D
    The Black Cloud to Every Silver Lining: Donghae'snaked?oatmeal_peril on October 1st, 2009 08:12 pm (UTC)
    Oh wow you're so <3 for taking the time do do this!
    I didn't know how to do bold and italic and whatnot in HTML (yeah, I'm a bit of a technophobe) but now I do~

Thank you soooo much! ^__^v
    yesungismine1 on November 28th, 2009 03:09 am (UTC)
    hahaha. you would use sihae as your example pairing.(:
    Shy_Mizunoshy_mizuno on May 25th, 2010 08:54 pm (UTC)
    This is probably a waste of time, but along with an entry, could I put in a search request? If not, do you know where I could do that?
    luminous beingtaylormercury on May 26th, 2010 08:32 am (UTC)
    No, you could not. A more thorough read through of our comm rules in the userinfo would tell you this, as it's against the rules to make posts to the comm in search of a fic, and there is a masterpost for fic requests. This is located in the community sidebar, so if you're looking for fics, please leave a comment there and if another member knows what it is you're looking for, they may be able to help you.
    Shy_Mizunoshy_mizuno on May 26th, 2010 05:28 pm (UTC)
    Thank you!
    jasminezilla on January 4th, 2011 12:00 pm (UTC)
    OMG, this is really helpful. I'm really happy to have read this now, because I only browsed through it at first. *is kicked* This is really helpful, thank you! I'll keep those in mind always :D
    luminous beingtaylormercury on January 4th, 2011 12:16 pm (UTC)
    Exactly the reason I make these entries, to help people! I'm glad you found it useful ^^
    babo_lovebabo_love on March 27th, 2011 04:08 pm (UTC)
    Your posts are really helpful!! Will you make a tutorial on how to do a Master list as well?
    Thank you so much!!*bow*
    luminous beingtaylormercury on April 1st, 2011 03:14 pm (UTC)
    Well I don't really write tutorials, my resource posts like this one are just to help people learn how to post fic correctly to this comm, and to adapt to posting on LJ in general, and a master list doesn't really have anything to do with this comm, or our posting rules ^^;;

I'd suggest taking a look at how other people organise their master lists in their writing journal, and really it's just including all the standard fic information (title, pairing, rating, summary, fandom, etc) and linking the fics.

But if you have a comm or journal that is soley for your writing, with proper tags you don't even need a masterlist anyway! It's up to you, but I've never made one myself (I use tags) so you'll have to see how other people do it ^^;;
    babo_lovebabo_love on April 2nd, 2011 02:37 am (UTC)
    :) Thank you for helping me <3
    yoolingyooling on June 17th, 2015 04:06 am (UTC)
    When posting multi-chaptered stories
    Hi, I'm not sure where to ask this or if it has been asked before (been lurking around for a day and still couldn't find it lol), but if I were to post a multi-chaptered story that's still ongoing, do I repost when new chapters are up, or just one post per story is allowed and it's up to people to check out the story whether it's been updated or not?

Thanks so much and sorry if this isn't where this question should be posted...