?

No account? Create an account

09 September 2009 @ 12:32 pm
[mod post] Suggestion Post  
Do you have any questions or concerns about the community? Any suggestions on how we can better run it? Ideas for things that we could impliment? Maybe you want to know why we do something the way that we do? Or just an opinion you want us to consider? This is the post to leave it in! We run this community for you, and we would like to know the things our members find do or don't work for it, and how you feel we could improve our running of the place.

We can't say that we'd be able to do all, or even any of the suggestions that may come up, but we will definitely consider and discuss any that may arise! We're always trying to think of ways that we can improve, but please bear in mind that this is a huge community designed to be a place for anyone and everyone to come to, post in, read from, and share their fanworks, and as always with large communities, there is no way to please everyone.

But first and foremost, we cannot better ourselves, this community, and the way we run it unless our members tell us what it is they want to see (or not see)! And this is where you come in. So if you have anything you want to say to the mods, to suggest or to know; if there's a question you would like us to answer, or just something you think that we could add to the comm, please comment to this post! If we can't see what you think about something, we can't do anything about it :(

All comments will be screened and kept confidential!
And because posts get easily overtaken here, the link to this one can be found in the link list on the community main page, along with links to every other important post you may need! :)
Tags:

(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on March 9th, 2010 07:47 pm (UTC)
You must request at the Moderated Membership post, which is located right here.
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on April 20th, 2010 02:11 pm (UTC)
In our original mod post about the tagging system we did outline all of our possible options, and the pros and cons for each, and this was one of the options we mentioned, but as people told us, for a lot of members the username tags are more important to them than even the pairing tags. In the end, to make tags useful and helpful for everyone, we decided to keep tags with usernames, so those who search by that will still have that option.

And whilst it also might be easier for us if we went down that route, it would also be a lot more time consuming for anyone searching for a particular username. I hope that all makes sense!
(Deleted comment)
luminous being: suju - donghae why so cutetaylormercury on July 12th, 2010 04:55 pm (UTC)
This is exactly the place to ask questions or suggest things, so don't worry!

We actually had a post a few months ago asking for people to join our new rec team, but there wasn't enough response from people >_> we've mentioned a few times maybe trying again though, if there's enough interest, we'd be happy to start the rec posts up again though! We'll discuss it between ourselves and see what's the best thing to do!

And thank you! We do try our best! :D
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on August 4th, 2010 09:39 pm (UTC)
If you are really interested in knowing the full details pertaining to the tags, you can find a mod post all about it if you go through the 'modpost' tag, but basically: we cannot tag anything currently, and have not been able to do so for over a year. We ran out of tags, as LJ only gives us so many, so we are currently re-arranging how our archiving system is going to work, and it is a slow process, considering both how old the comm is, and how many fics have been posted here.

I'm sorry that it is hard for you to find your fics, but searching, and the request post is all we can offer you for the time being, until we are finished rearchiving everything.
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on September 8th, 2010 09:59 am (UTC)
No, we ran out of tags, and are currently doing our best to re-organise our entire archiving system. As we are a community that is 4+ years old, it is not a speedy process.

As for the challenge suggestion, the 100 SuJu Fic challenge was started quite a long time ago, long before Zhou Mi and Henry joined Super Junior M, and it already has so many members participating, and it's such a large amount of fics to be writing already, that it seems quite unnecessary to create a 127 SuJu Fic Challenge, and have both things running at the same time. And Technically, Zhou Mi and Henry are not part of Super Junior, only Super Junior-M.

So it's a nice suggestion, but I don't think it's something that we'll be implementing, I'm afraid.
(Screened comment)
(no subject) - taylormercury on September 10th, 2010 10:47 pm (UTC) (Expand)
(Screened comment)
(no subject) - taylormercury on September 11th, 2010 05:32 pm (UTC) (Expand)
(Screened comment)
{ howling at the autumn moon  }+{ s h i g u r e }hyperballad on November 7th, 2010 01:36 am (UTC)
Absolutely! The list of prompts was made before their debut so we just never got around to editing it. Feel free to use them, though. ^^
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on November 9th, 2010 10:53 am (UTC)
If you were to read back through some of our replies throughout this post (especially on the first page) you would see that myself and the other mods have already answered similar questions several times over. There is a lack of recent tags because we reached the limit LJ gave us for tags a long time ago, and as we were already such a huge comm at that time, with a massive amount of fics and tags, it's not going to be quick to completely re-arrange how we archive fics, out of necessity, and to then start retagging fics from 2+ years of this problem.

So we are in the process, but it is not a quick one. It's why we have the Request Post, for members to ask other members for help searching for untagged fics ^^
(Screened comment)
(no subject) - taylormercury on November 9th, 2010 01:10 pm (UTC) (Expand)
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on November 10th, 2010 12:25 am (UTC)
If you read through some of the previous comments I and other mods have made about this issue on the first page, and indeed my comments to the user right above you, you would see our explanations concerning the tagging issue.

Essentially, LJ gives you a limit of the number of tags you use (its something like 1000, I think, I forget) and with all the author tags, and then considering SJ itself consists of 13 members (plus 2) that alone is a massive amount of pairings, before you bring in ot3s/ot4s/bandfic, or pairingless and character-centric fics. After a year or so of tagging, we reached the limit LJ gave us.

We currently have a solution to this that we are working on implenting, which is essentially all of the author tags will be moved to the memories (which first need to be cleaned up, as we began archiving with those and abandoned it when LJ implented tags) and then we will begin the massive task of tagging all the 2+ years worth of fic. It will take a long time, but we have a solution for this.

A second comm would not work, because it's a lot easier to keep everything in one community. If we began splitting fics between two comms just because of tagging, then people would never remember which comm the fics had been posted at that they were looking for, and it would only create more work, and more confusion, in the process, not less.

Suggestions are welcome, but we are doing are best to re-organise a massive comm, with a massive amount of fics from five years worth of however many hundreds of members we've had posting, so it won't be quickly ^^;
(Screened comment)
(no subject) - taylormercury on November 10th, 2010 01:11 am (UTC) (Expand)
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on November 28th, 2010 09:46 pm (UTC)
We have had other members suggest these things before, but neither of these are things we're considering adding to our tagging/archiving system. We ruled out these idea of these because, firstly, people don't always rate properly, and before we even introduced the full header rule, which requires a rating, a lot of people didn't even bother to rate correctly, or had mad made up ratings, or didn't rate at all. We would have years of posts before our rating rule was brought in, and we can't go back to all those entries from years ago and ask for people to rate them correctly, and we don't have the time or the desire to read through those fics to figure out a rating for ourselves, it would just be completely impossible to properly implement :/

It's a similar issue with genre, we certainly don't require a genre to be mentioned with each post, so how can we even include a tag for fics that don't have that information? And for us the tag decisions came down to which tags people use the most, which are: author, pairing/ot3, and character. If you're in the mood to read, say, a ShiHae fic, you'd only have to click the ShiHae tag and, as we do require everyone to include a full header, it isn't that difficult for people to look through and see the rating/genre's for themselves as they scroll through the fics.

So it's not something that would even be feasible, I'm afraid! But thank you for your suggestion, it's good to know what people are looking to have on the comm ^^
(Screened comment)
(no subject) - taylormercury on November 29th, 2010 10:39 am (UTC) (Expand)
(Screened comment)
{ howling at the autumn moon  }+{ s h i g u r e }hyperballad on February 26th, 2011 01:20 am (UTC)
First of all, thanks for your offer. ^^

Right now, we're going to leave things as-is but! if we put a tagging team together, I'll definitely get back in contact with you.
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on October 11th, 2011 09:52 am (UTC)
Re: Ryeowook Kyuhyun Henry Love Triangle full chaptered fanfic
Don't post this to the suggestion post, it doesn't belong here.
mod - taylormercury on October 11th, 2011 10:01 am (UTC) (Expand)
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on October 27th, 2011 05:44 pm (UTC)
No, you cannot post your masterlist to the community. If you read through our rules you should see that it's quite clear that only fanfic or fanart should be posted to the community by members. Masterlists are unnecessary, if you post the fics themselves to the comm then they will eventually be tagged, and if anyone is interested in reading the backlog of your work, they will be able to follow your username back to your journal/writing journal and find your works for themselves.

So please refrain from posting anything other than actual fanfic or fanart to the comm, thank you ^^
(Screened comment)
{ howling at the autumn moon  }+{ s h i g u r e }hyperballad on November 3rd, 2011 03:10 am (UTC)
We certainly are interested in doing these kinds of things. Right now, we have a contest running but I'll be speaking with the other mods soon about what our next event will be. Thank you for your comment.
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on February 25th, 2012 09:42 pm (UTC)
Thanks for the recommendation and no, we were not aware of that site before now! As it is with our new mods having just started here, and we have been working on back tagging entries for some time now, we don't feel the need to try and maintain an extra page off site! The tags are on their way to being sorted and from what I've seen most all the requests made to the request post do get answered, but if we do run into archiving problems in future or change our minds at some point then we will look into the site you recommended, thank you! :)
(Screened comment)
sujulovenlsujulovenl on February 24th, 2012 11:25 am (UTC)
I will ask for you.
(no subject) - taylormercury on February 25th, 2012 09:48 pm (UTC) (Expand)