?

No account? Create an account

09 September 2009 @ 12:32 pm
[mod post] Suggestion Post  
Do you have any questions or concerns about the community? Any suggestions on how we can better run it? Ideas for things that we could impliment? Maybe you want to know why we do something the way that we do? Or just an opinion you want us to consider? This is the post to leave it in! We run this community for you, and we would like to know the things our members find do or don't work for it, and how you feel we could improve our running of the place.

We can't say that we'd be able to do all, or even any of the suggestions that may come up, but we will definitely consider and discuss any that may arise! We're always trying to think of ways that we can improve, but please bear in mind that this is a huge community designed to be a place for anyone and everyone to come to, post in, read from, and share their fanworks, and as always with large communities, there is no way to please everyone.

But first and foremost, we cannot better ourselves, this community, and the way we run it unless our members tell us what it is they want to see (or not see)! And this is where you come in. So if you have anything you want to say to the mods, to suggest or to know; if there's a question you would like us to answer, or just something you think that we could add to the comm, please comment to this post! If we can't see what you think about something, we can't do anything about it :(

All comments will be screened and kept confidential!
And because posts get easily overtaken here, the link to this one can be found in the link list on the community main page, along with links to every other important post you may need! :)
Tags:

(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on September 9th, 2009 12:34 pm (UTC)
That layout actually is a new one, and when I first posted it up I gave my reasons for why it is the way it is. Not only did I want it to look simple, I wanted it to say straight away what the community actually was, which the little banner for it does do. And besides that, I'm not a particularly good banner maker, and I felt the one I did make for the community looked better than any picture graphic I could have made.

I guess if it really annoys anyone though, I'd accept a well made, good-looking banner made by a member if it fit with the layout, if anyone actually wanted to do that :)
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on September 9th, 2009 12:30 pm (UTC)
We hit the 1000 tag limit some time ago, and we're currently working on implimenting a new system in which we can continue to re-tag (if you're interested, you can find the specific posts about tagging a little further back under the 'mod post' tag). Because we hit this limit, we cannot actually add any new tags. Before, us mods took it in turns to tag all fics every day, as you would see if you ever had to go months back through the community. But as soon as we have finished rearranging the memories and removed certain tags to allow for new ones to be added, we will go back and tag the months we have missed, and from that point onwards allow members to tag their own posts!

I hope this has helped, and thank you for commenting! This is exactly why we made this post ^^
(Screened comment)
(no subject) - taylormercury on September 9th, 2009 12:53 pm (UTC) (Expand)
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on September 9th, 2009 12:35 pm (UTC)
Please read my above response to a similar question, as it explains clearly why this is currently not happening. When we have cleaned out spaces in which we can actually add new tags, all entries will be tagged, just like we've always done, before the limit was reached ^^
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on September 9th, 2009 02:17 pm (UTC)
Yes it's perfectly okay to edit a previous entry to add other fics! Actually, this is what we ask people to do if they forget and break the two posts a day rule anyway! :)
(Screened comment)
{{ a y a m e | mabudachi trio }}hoyah on September 10th, 2009 01:17 pm (UTC)
Those who rec are encouraged to read as much fic as possible and most of them inform us that they go through everything. We expected personal bias for certain styles to go through, so we tried to have as diverse a rec team as possible, but if you feel it's all too biased by author, we'll pass this on to the rec team and hopefully the recs will be more varied in the future. Also, if you're interested in the rec team and have a different idea of what kind of fics that you like, you are more than welcome to apply. :)
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on September 11th, 2009 10:35 pm (UTC)
Whilst you're not the first to suggest this, we're still not sure what we want to do as far as this is concerned, but we will discuss it! Although, and this will work out better when the tags are sorted, you can still find the ratings you're looking for if you're scrolling back through particular pairings! We have to weigh up the options of if it would really be worth adding this to the tagging sytem, and how useful it would even be, when there are still other ways to find the ratings you're after, and keeping in mind tag space too, since we've already reached our limit twice!

But thank you for much for commenting, and we will discuss it!
(Screened comment)
{{ a y a m e | mabudachi trio }}hoyah on September 10th, 2009 01:21 pm (UTC)
Re: the posters
The posters are those who applied. We didn't consider status or anything like that in fandom, our only criteria was that they read through the community often and could write their recs comprehensibly.

Re: popularity contest
We've stressed from the beginning that the rec posts are there to help members find good fic - it's never been about who's writing, so it's not a popularity contest. See my comment to a similar response two threads up, about preference for style, etc.
(Deleted comment)
{{ a y a m e | mabudachi trio }}hoyah on September 10th, 2009 01:22 pm (UTC)
taylormercury answered a response to a similar question here
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on September 11th, 2009 10:42 pm (UTC)
Well that is an idea, but hoyah, hyperballad and myself are all friends, and comfortable with each other and know how we like to run the community between ourselves, so adding someone new might disrupt the balance we already have. And besides that, between us we do catch all the people violating the rules. I check the community several times every day just to make sure things are okay, and when we have the space to do the tagging we do take turns to get it all done!

It might not seem like it at the moment, with the tagging issues, but between us we do keep the community running just fine, I feel! And we do always try our best, and not hesitate, in coming up with ideas for the community between us three.

But we are considering maybe gathering some willing people (because it's all well and good to say these things, but people have to want to help out first XD) to perhaps just focus on the tagging! So thank you for your suggestion! :)
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on September 11th, 2009 10:45 pm (UTC)
This is definitely something we've been considering! I know we get a lot of those request posts, but we want to know if other members would like this idea/find it useful. We have to weigh the idea up alongside the fact that, if we have a master post just for requests, most people just wouldn't bother to check it and help out! And it's not very useful, if no one goes there to answer request help.

But if we get more feedback on this idea, we'll discuss it some more! Thank you for commenting! :)
(Screened comment)
{{ a y a m e | mabudachi trio }}hoyah on September 10th, 2009 01:23 pm (UTC)
We have coyotecolored, who is actually doing that very job right now.
(Deleted comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on September 11th, 2009 10:46 pm (UTC)
I answered the same suggestion a couple of comments up, if you'd like to see our response to this idea!
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on September 11th, 2009 10:48 pm (UTC)
We're very fond of holding competitions, and I'm sure we'll discuss holding another one soon, when people have settled into the new school year and have time to write again! Because the contests are only so good if enough people have the time to enter!

We've also been running low on ideas for what kind of writing contests to hold, so if when the time comes you have any suggestions for contests you'd like to participate in, look out for posts about it and let us know! :)
(Screened comment)
luminous beingtaylormercury on September 13th, 2009 10:54 am (UTC)
If you were to go a few mod posts back, you'd see that we had a post discussing the new system we're working on implimenting, which includes re-doing the memories! Which is what we're currently doing, and why it's taking awhile to get done, the memories are massive and in need of re-organising anyway! What we're actually doing is moving all of the authors from the tags into the memories (so from when we're finished, all the authors will be found in memories) and moving all of the pairings from the memories into tags! So that way people can still search under whichever method they prefer, and the memories are unlimited, which suits are ever growing amount of authors!

Hope this helps, and thanks for commenting! ^^
(Screened comment)
{{ a y a m e | mabudachi trio }}hoyah on September 14th, 2009 10:20 pm (UTC)
:) taylormercury is working on a new banner now.