Author: volatileflame
Chapter(s): 7/8
Characters: Han Geng-centric, SuJu, Lee YeonHee
Cameos: DBSK, Lee JunKi, Battle
Pairings: KangTeuk, YunJae, more to come
Genre: AU, Family
Rating: G – PG (i dunno)
Disclaimers: seriously, do i really need to say it? i obviously don’t own them
Summary: Four-year-old Han Geng finds himself sold away and taken to Korea where he begins the journey to discover that there is more to family than blood. (summary sucks, i know)

A/N I: based on a true story (not mine), but since this is a work of fiction . . . you get the point
A/N II: dedicated to miracleshining because she is awesome and veiledstar who i hope will cheer up

Chapter VII

YoungWoon tore through the street with Geng in his arms. He went around the deadlocked cars and rushed to the sidewalk, deftly dodging the other people walking on it.

“Stay with me son,” YoungWoon whispered. “Appa’s not going to let anything happen to you.”

He ran past the stalled traffic and pushed by the crowd of bystanders, and was stopped at the police tape.

“I’m sorry sir, but the police are doing their work here,” a uniformed officer informed him.

“And they’ve blocked the quickest route to the Hanyang hospital,” YoungWoon retorted angrily. “My son needs medical attention now!”

The officer looked at the young child in his arms, but hesitated. YoungWoon angrily whipped out his badge (a real feat, considering he had his arms full with Geng).

“I am Inspector Kim YoungWoon and I swear if you do not let me by, I will make sure your superior keeps you at your desk for the rest of your career, however long or short it may be,” YoungWoon snarled.

“KangIn!” another detective immediately recognized YoungWoon and started approaching. YoungWoon just showed his friend the child in his arms, and the other detective immediately knew what to do. “You, let him through! What are you, daft in the head?! Ryu! Are there any accident victims who do not need immediate medical attention? We have another emergency here!”

“Thank you Lio,” YoungWoon breathed, slipping under the police tape.

“Don’t mention it,” Lio quipped.

“Lio! KangIn!” Ryu ran over to them. “More ambulances are on their way, but there are none here.”

“Shit!” YoungWoon cursed. Ryu opened his mouth to say something.

“YoungWoon!” JungSu’s voice interrupted them.

“Let him in!” Lio commanded. JungSu immediately ran inside the tape and joined the three men.

“As I was saying,” Ryu continued. He pulled out a set of keys from his pocket. “Take my car. It’s on the other side of the police tape.”

“You mean . . . ” YoungWoon looked at his friend with wide eyes.

“Yes, I’m lending you my wife,” Ryu answered. “Just don’t go too crazy, okay? She’s powerful, but still delicate.”

YoungWoon nodded and headed towards the back.

“Thank you!” JungSu cried, hugging Lio and Ryu. He released them, then ran after his husband.

“You’re not such a miser after all,” Lio remarked dryly as YoungWoon and JungSu got into Ryu’s prized Moonstone Silver Lotus Elise.

“I’m stingy, not heartless,” said Ryu. He took a look back before returning to work. “Good luck YoungWoon.”

YoungWoon milked the Lotus for all its worth. One: his son’s life was in danger and depended on him getting to the hospital fast. Two: it would probably be the only time in his life where Ryu would actually be willing to lend him his ‘wife’ car. Three: the car made him feel as if he was a part of those Fast and Furious movies. Most importantly, his son’s life was in danger and depended on him getting to the hospital at speeds effectively breaking the sound barrier. If it were not for Ryu’s car being equipped with a light and siren, they probably would have been pulled over for going way beyond the speed limit.
When they arrived at the hospital, JungSu immediately ran out with Geng in his arms and rushed into the emergency wing, while YoungWoon parked the car somewhere away from where the ambulances came and went.

“Please, my son needs help!” JungSu cried out. Two nurses – one male, one female – hurried to JungSu and took Geng. The male nurse carried Geng onto an empty bed, while the female nurse began to check the child’s vital signs. Another female nurse rushed over with a doctor and some equipment. The male nurse then held JungSu back as they hooked Geng up to the various machines.

“Pulse is 53!” one of the female nursed cried out.

“He’s in stage 2 of hypothermia!” the other nurse declared.

“Get this child into the ICU!” the doctor commanded. “Prepare heated blankets and warm compresses. We may also have to perform warm injections and hemodialysis.”

“What’s going on?” YoungWoon inquired, just entering the emergency wing.

“Sir, your son has slipped into stage 2 hypothermia,” the male nurse informed him. “We’re going to try to warm him up externally, but we may have to perform warm injections or hemodialysis.”

“What the hell is that?” YoungWoon demanded.

“We’ll filter his blood through an artificial kidney to warm it and then return it to the body,” the nurse explained. “But we’ll need you to sign some forms.”

“Whatever it takes,” JungSu sobbed. YoungWoon read the forms quickly, but carefully, and the nurse was willing to explain every detail. YoungWoon signed the forms. The nurse then hurried off to hand the forms over to Administration.

“Please wait here,” another female nurse instructed, leading them to the ICU waiting room.

“Pleasedontletanythingbadhappentohimpleasedontletanythingbadhappentohim . . . ” JungSu kept mumbling and pacing. YoungWoon quickly stopped him and held him in his arms.

“Shh, it’ll be okay,” he whispered into his ears. “He’s strong. He’ll be okay.”

YoungWoon did not know who he was convincing – JungSu, or himself.

“Ow!” KiBum yelped, immediately dropping his spoon. Simultaneous cries of pain went up from HeeChul, ShinDong, SungMin, and RyeoWook as well.

“What happened?” JaeJoong asked, dropping his own chopsticks.

“I bit my tongue,” KiBum pouted.

“Me too,” said SungMin. RyeoWook nodded his head.

“So did I,” said HeeChul.

“I just said ‘Ow!’ because you guys all said it,” ShinDong quipped. “Ow! Okay, now I bit my tongue.”

“Oh dear,” JaeJoong muttered. He quickly smiled reassuringly at the children. “Silly children. Chew slowly and eat carefully, and then you won’t get hurt. Here, I’ll get you some ice water.”

He got up and headed to the freezer for ice. With his face away from the children, his brows furrowed together in worry.

I hope you guys are alright JungSu.

Geng was drowning.

It was cold and dark all around him. He could not see. He could not hear. He could not breathe. He flailed around to try to break the surface, but it was no use. He was not strong enough. He felt tired. He felt weak. He wanted to just give up and slip into the dark.

“Please don’t let anything bad happen to him.”

Everything went calm.

I know that voice, Geng thought.

All of a sudden, it became light.

The doctor stepped out.

“Howsmyson?” JungSu demanded. YoungWoon gave his shoulders a reassuring squeeze.

“He’s gotten through the worst,” the doctor informed him. “His heart rate dropped rapidly at some point, as did his breathing, but they suddenly stalled and remained steady. We had to perform the hemodialysis, but his heart rate and breathing have stabilized, and his temperature is rising back to normal. Brain functions are also normal, but he’s still unconscious and I can’t say when he will wake up. He may have also developed pneumonia – which we will treat, if it proves to be the case – but overall, your son should be fine.”

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” JungSu cried.

“Can we go see him?” YoungWoon asked.

“You can have a little time before we transfer him to another wing,” the doctor replied.

“Thank you,” said YoungWoon. The doctor nodded curtly, then left the couple alone. They went inside the room. Geng looked so small on the hospital bed with all the big machinery around him.

“Hey Hannie,” JungSu cooed, taking Geng’s hand in his. He kissed the small palm, then brought it to his cheek. “Umma’s here. You gave us quite a scare little man. I-I . . . Umma thought he lost you.”

JungSu broke down and cried. YoungWoon placed a hand on his shoulder. The other hand went to Geng and JungSu’s joined one.

“Appa’s proud of you,” he said softly. “You made it. You’re strong, just like I said you were. You’re strong like Appa.”

He choked as a strangled sob escaped his lips and the tears fell from his eyes.

“Appa’s so proud of you,” he wept.

“It’s almost your birthday,” JungSu added. “Six more days. You’ll be five. We were thinking of taking you to see Swan Lake. Would you like that Hannie?”

“Excuse me?” a soft voice interrupted. They turned to see a nurse in the doorway. “We have to move him now.”

JungSu and YoungWoon nodded as a female nurse led them out, while two male nurses moved the bed.

“Why don’t you go to the canteen for a coffee or something, and we’ll call you when he’s been settled,” the nurse suggested. YoungWoon nodded and gently led JungSu away.

“Wait,” JungSu stopped him. He quickly ran back to the bed. He bent down and kissed Geng’s forehead. “I love you.”

Geng was now lost in a sea of faceless people. Everywhere he turned, there were people, but all these people had no faces. He was afraid, and he wanted to cry, but for some reason, he did not.

“You’re strong like Appa.”

The voice alone was enough to give him strength and reassurance. He suddenly felt two hands take his. One was soft and gentle, the other was strong and warm. He had no idea where the hands were taking him, but he trusted them. The two hands guided him through the sea of people, never faltering and never letting go. As they journeyed on, everything seemed brighter, warmer, better.

Geng was no longer trapped in a sea of faceless people.

“Umma. Appa.”

A/N: i'm so sorry for the lame humour, but it was just so painful! i also didn't know how to end it, so . . . -_- (oh, and i don't know if Lotus sells their cars outside of N. America, but let's just say they do, because the Elise is a pretty sick looking ride)
Tags: subject: hangeng, with: battle, with: dbsg
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic

Your reply will be screened

Your IP address will be recorded 

• 31 comments