Author: volatileflame
Chapter(s): 6/8
Characters: Han Geng-centric, SuJu, Lee YeonHee
Cameos: DBSK, Lee JunKi
Pairings: KangTeuk, YunJae, more to come
Genre: AU, Family
Rating: G – PG (i dunno)
Disclaimers: seriously, do i really need to say it? i obviously don’t own them
Summary: Four-year-old Han Geng finds himself sold away and taken to Korea where he begins the journey to discover that there is more to family than blood. (summary sucks, i know)

A/N I: based on a true story (not mine), but since this is a work of fiction . . . you get the point
A/N II: as usual, dedicated to miracleshining ~ thanks for the encouragement!

Chapter VI

They could still sense the hesitation in Geng’s voice whenever he called them ‘Umma’ and ‘Appa’, but at least he was trying. He would never initiate contact with them, but when they hugged him, he would respond and hug back. At least he was trying. Even though they wanted more, for Geng to feel a part of the family, for him to feel that he was at home with them – at least he was trying. It was the most they could ask for at the moment. They would continue to wait, continue to hope, and continue to love.

“What’s your brother doing?” a neighbour boy scoffed, watching as Geng was carefully practicing his steps. The neighbourhood children were all playing in the snow. Some were building snowmen. Others were building forts and preparing for a snowball fight.

“He’s practicing ballet,” said HeeChul. “Leave him alone.”

The boy, who was older than the rest of the children, took no heed and threw a snowball at Geng, causing him to stumble and fall in the snow.

“Hey!” HeeChul shouted. “I said leave him alone!”

The boy continued to ignore HeeChul and slowly approached Geng, who was picking himself up from the ground.

“Ballet is so girlie!” the boy teased, pushing Geng back onto the ground. “Why on earth would you want to take it? You’re such a freak. Is that what you want to be – a freak?”

“Hey, shut up!” HeeChul commanded, throwing his own snowball at the boy.

“Maybe that’s why no one wants you. You’re a girlie freak. Your own family didn’t want you. No one wants you. Maybe that’s why your mama sold you back in China,” the boy laughed. Geng froze. The boy did not stop with his taunts. “She sold you to the circus to be one of the freak acts!”

In a flash, HeeChul launched himself and tackled the older boy onto the ground, and began to pummel him.

“Shup up! Shut up! Shut up!” HeeChul shouted, punching the boy beneath him. “I told you to leave him alone! Take it back you scumbag!”

“Umma! Umma!” several of the children screamed and ran back to their houses. “HeeChul’s trying to kill DaeSung!”

HeeChul continued to hit the other boy, but DaeSung, being older and bigger, fought back, and the two scuffled until strong arms held them back: YoungWoon holding back HeeChul, and DaeSung’s older brother holding DaeSung. Despite this, the two continued to thrash at each other.

“HeeChul stop!” YoungWoon barked. HeeChul stilled, but kept on glaring daggers at DaeSung. The older boy glared back. “Apologize to DaeSung.”

“Why?” HeeChul demanded. “He was making fun of Hannie and calling him names!”

“I was just joking!” DaeSung protested, turning to his mother and brother. HeeChul had given him a split lip, a bloody nose, and a swelling black eye. “I didn’t know he couldn’t take a little joke.”

“You called him a freak and said that no one wanted him because he was a freak, and that his mama sold him to the circus to be a freak!” HeeChul shouted back, ready to launch another physical attack, but YoungWoon held him firmly.

“DaeSung, is that true?” the boy’s mother asked, horrified at what her son had done. DaeSung did not answer and looked down at the ground. DaeSung’s mother turned to YoungWoon and bowed low. “Mr. Kim, I am terribly, terribly sorry for my son’s horrible behaviour.”

She then straightened up and took DaeSung by the ear. The boy winced at the harsh treatment.

“Apologize to Mr. Kim, HeeChul, and HanKyung!” she commanded. DaeSung scowled, but did as he was told.

“I’m sorry Mr. Kim,” he bowed. He then turned to HeeChul and begrudgingly prepared to apologize.

“Apologize to HanKyung first,” HeeChul commanded. DaeSung glared at him, but turned around to face Geng.

“I’m s— Hey! Where’d he go?”

YoungWoon and HeeChul looked around frantically. To their horror and dismay, Geng was gone.

Geng ran as fast and as far as his little legs could carry him. He did not care where he went. He just needed to get away.

You’re a girlie freak!

Maybe that’s why your mama sold you back in China!

No one wants you!

“Stop! Stop! Stop!” Geng begged, shutting his eyes and covering his ears. “Leave me alone! Please!”

He could still see the taunting faces and hear the jeering laughter.

“Stop please!” he sobbed, tears snaking down his face uncontrollably. “Go away! Leave me alone!”

No one wants you

“Mama . . . ”

“HanKyung!”

“Hyung!”

“HanKyung-hyung!”

“Hannie-hyung!”

“HanKyung!”

“Any sign of him YoungWoon?” JungSu asked, eyes frenetic and red. YoungWoon shook his head sadly. JungSu burst into a fresh round of tears. His husband brought him close and just held him.

“Don’t worry,” YoungWoon assured him. “We’ll find him.”

Soft flurries began to descend, covering the greying snow on the ground with a fresh layer of white. Sparkling flakes danced around and landed upon Geng’s hair and lashes.
Geng had no idea when or where he stopped, but at the moment, he was huddled against a tree in a small park. His tears had dried and they chafed his cheeks, and his nose and lips hurt from the cold. He could barely feel his fingers or his toes. He was hungry, he was tired, he was cold. He wanted nothing more than to be at home.

But where’s home? a little voice in his head asked.

“I-I-I don’t know,” he replied softly. He closed his eyes and started crying again. “I don’t know.”

“Will Hannie-hyung be okay?” RyeoWook asked JaeJoong. JaeJoong had agreed to watch over all the children, while YunHo joined YoungWoon and JungSu in the search for HanKyung. YooChun and JunSu tried to cheer up their cousins by offering their toys and trying to play with them, but the others were just not in the mood.

“Don’t worry,” JaeJoong assured the little boy. “Your Umma and Appa will find him.”

“Stupid DaeSung!” HeeChul muttered darkly. “If anything bad happens to Hannie, I’ll kill that stupid scumbag.”

“HeeChul,” JaeJoong said in a warning tone. “It’s not nice to say things like that.”

“Well that doofus wasn’t nice to HanKyung!” HeeChul retorted. “I shoulda given him more than a black eye. I shoulda knocked out a few of his teeth. I shoulda— ”

He was going to continue with his tirade when he felt a small pair of arms hug him. He looked down to see ChangMin wrapped around him. ChangMin looked up and gave him a soft smile.

“Hyung will be okay,” the younger boy assured him. “After all, he has you guys.”

HeeChul sighed and smiled back.

“Yeah,” he agreed. “Yeah.”

“HanKyung!” JungSu called out, his voice hoarse and throat dry. It had been an hour and a half since Geng had been missing, and JungSu had not stopped calling out for his son since. “HanKyung!”

“JungSu, why don’t you go home?” YoungWoon suggested. “YunHo and I, and the guys from the station will continue searching.”

“I am not going home until I have my son safe in my arms,” JungSu retorted firmly. “HanKyung!”

“KangIn! KangIn-hyung!” one of YoungWoon’s subordinates called out, using his ‘street’ name. JungSu and YoungWoon turned around to see YunHo and the subordinate rushing towards them with a child in YunHo's arms.

“HanKyung!” JungSu gasped, rushing over, YoungWoon hot on his heels. They examined the child, and it was indeed HanKyung. His nose was runny and red, his lips were blue, and his skin was beyond pale. Except for his shallow breathing and red nose, he looked lifeless. The only obvious signs of life were his eyes moving behind his eyelids.

“We have to get him to the hospital!” YoungWoon declared. They hailed a cab and urgently requested to be taken to the nearest hospital. The cabby complied, and upon seeing the frantic couple and near-lifeless child, offered his services free of charge.

“HanKyung, it’s Umma, you have to wake up baby, please!” JungSu begged, trying to get his son to open his eyes. “Wake up for Umma, please?”

“C’mon son, stay with us,” YoungWoon also added his voice.

“Shit!” the cabby suddenly cursed.

“What?!” JungSu asked frantically.

“There’s an accident up ahead, and the police have blocked off the road,” the cabby explained. “This is the quickest route to the Hanyang hospital, especially since there’s unfinished construction on the street they’re redirecting us to.”

“What do we do?” JungSu turned to YoungWoon. YoungWoon gritted his teeth, then flung open the cab door and started to run.

A/N: agh! this chapter was so hard to write! my only solace is HeeChul, whom i kinda channelled myself into for this chapter (i was a violent child -_-). i actually don't know what to think of this chapter, so i hope no one hates this T^T
Tags: subject: hangeng, with: dbsg
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic

Your reply will be screened

Your IP address will be recorded 

• 25 comments