?

No account? Create an account

22 February 2012 @ 11:33 pm
Mod post - posting template  
Please do not change the default text settings of your post. What looks great in your journal doesn't look so good on the friends list on someone else's journal.

Most of the time the problem of the default text being overridden is caused by people using the rich text format posting option. It's highly recommended that you don't use the rich text posting option (because it's evil.) Bad coding on a RTF post can result in broken layouts and a lot of people getting cranky.

In place of using the RTF option I would recommended downloading a LJ client, there is a list of them here.

Otherwise, here is a handy posting template containing all the coding you need for your post. Just copy and paste the text in this box into the HTML posting option, enter your own text, insert the link to your fic where indicated and you are good to go.

If you are unsure about anything ask the mods before posting. If you have any comments, questions or concerns, pick a mod and PM them or drop us a line in the suggestion post
Tags:

ink_river10: Sungmin hotink_river10 on February 23rd, 2012 12:44 pm (UTC)
Does this mean we no longer need to use disclaimers in our headings?
Fidomom: thirteen plus twofidomom on February 23rd, 2012 03:41 pm (UTC)
I would suggest that all authors protect themselves.

Partial quote from wiki page on disclaimers on real person fan fiction:

"Morality and legality

The morality of Real Person Fiction is debated. Most RPF authors state that they have no intent to claim these fictional portrayals reflect the real activities of the "source figure" in any way.

Some authors feel that fanfic based on fictional characters is on shaky enough legal ground, barely tolerated by "the powers that be" (authors, producers, copyright owners) and that RPF, especially real person slash, may turn corporate and public opinion against fan fiction as a whole.

The often included disclaimer in story headers, stating that the work is pure fiction, protects Real Person Fiction from slander and libel.

To date, unlike traditional fan fiction, only one cease and desist letter is known to have been issued against RPF: FanDomination.Net received this letter on March 17, 2003 from a representative of one of the members of the New York Yankees baseball team. The substance of the complaint against the site was related to a story's depiction of a present-day homosexual encounter between former Yankees players Virgil Trucks, Rugger Ardizoia, and Eddie Bockman, all of whom are currently in their nineties, was harmful to the Yankees brand and to the reputations of the players depicted.

Real Person Slash (RPS), aka real-life slash (RLS), involves homosexual relationships. These are usually complete fabrications, not based on any real-life indications of the subject's sexual preference, but on the fantasies of the author and the desire to experiment with perceived or invented homoerotic subtext between the idols in question.

The content of the stories can range from the mildly romantic, involving deep friendships and innocent boyhood or girlhood crushes, to carefully written homosexual love stories, all the way to profoundly explicit erotica.

With the advent of boy bands, fans wrote an explosion of fictional stories about male members being involved in romantic relations with one another.

As slash became more acceptable, the amount of explicit sexual content in the stories also began to rise. Erotic fan stories have certainly been around for as long as other types of fanfic, but they were often a closed-door affair, circulated only in private among friends, and it is unclear whether homosexual content was a common theme.

With the advent of the Internet (allowing easy distribution of stories and relative anonymity for authors), stories with explicit content suddenly became much more widespread.

Due to the potentially libelous nature of some stories, and the knowledge or fear that some celebrities dislike slash fiction involving themselves, some fan fiction communities denounce RPS fiction and do not allow it on their websites.

Reaction to real person fic

For the most part, celebrities remain indifferent to Real Person Fic. Problems begin to develop when fans of the celebrities try to bring the celebrity into the community or show their adoration for that celebrity by giving them examples of stories. This can lead to some uncomfortable moments.

In 2008 a man was arrested in the UK for writing and publishing on the internet a story featuring various members of the band Girls Aloud under the Obscene Publications Act. The story described the kidnap, rape and murder of the girls. He was subsequently found not guilty and claimed that he had never intended to frighten or intimidate the band members."

Source link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_person_fiction

I'd suggest authors to specify that you made it up and that you won't make money from it. The internet is forever and it's very hard to prove the fact or fiction of most things on it. Disclaimers help, IMO. =)

~FM :)
ink_river10: Hot B&W Gengink_river10 on February 23rd, 2012 03:48 pm (UTC)
I completely agree, that's why I was kind of surprised when I didn't see it listed in the headings. I don't think anyone should not use a disclaimer - no one wants to get an email saying they're being sued!
Fidomom: thirteen plus twofidomom on February 23rd, 2012 03:53 pm (UTC)
I only meant to point out that whether a community requires it or not that we should all use them, anyway. I'm with you, I don't want to be sued/charged, either so I heavily disclaim on all my fics. >.<

~FM :)
Pretentious McBoobieslightly on February 24th, 2012 04:58 pm (UTC)
That is a very good question, I had to ask the opinion of another mod since there is nothing in the rules about needing a disclaimer. The community doesn't require that you put a disclaimer in your header, and I never use them so in all honesty it never occurred to me to put one in the coding.

It's fine if you do and it's fine if you don't. Though, I can edit the code box to put one in if it will make people feel more comfortable.