Community for Hell's Kitchen on Fox

[ website | Official Hell's Kitchen Website ]
[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Beef Wellingtons [Jun. 6th, 2012|04:41 pm]
Community for Hell's Kitchen on Fox

hellskitchen_

[yunafire]
I'm watching the season 10 premiere now and they're having an issue with the wellingtons. One of the girls said the problem with cooking them is you don't know if they're done until you slice them. And if the meat is raw, well, you're fucked.

Okay, I've worked in a kitchen before. So I just have to ask: Wouldn't a thermometer tell them if the meat was raw? Less dramatic for tv, but still. It seems like a huge waste of meat otherwise. :/
LinkReply

Comments:
[User Picture]From: lisasimpsonfan
2012-06-06 08:48 pm (UTC)
I have never made Beef Wellington but since it's meat sealed inside of a dough piercing the seal might mess up the cooking process. I don't know but that is a good question.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: seldelaterre
2013-08-07 01:53 am (UTC)
Usually you put in a little chimney so that steam can come out, it helps the pastry, I've cooked beef en croute before, you have layers of mushroom duxelle, crepes etc, you should be able to probe it to check for temperature, but the skill of the chef should be to time it correctly, allow it to rest for a long time, it shouldn't need that long at all, considering you'll seal the meat first, encase it in the pastry, and then bake, I'd most definitely probe it though to be safe and there's no problem doing that, as long as you're careful.
(Reply) (Thread)