?

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

While there is a Master List on the LJ already, I wanted to do my own version and include some new materials that I think will benefit the Ai no Kusabi fandom. I was able to find a lot more official Ai no Kusabi content a few years back and want to share it with the fandom. I know how many fans have been desperately trying to find them for years.

However, because the series is old, the fandom is small and scattered all over the world, and content is only available in Japan, there will be some materials that will not have any links or sources to them. If any fans know where to find some of the missing content on the list or wish to include additional info, please contact me so I can update it. Due to the word limit on LJ, the Master List is split into three parts. Part 2 can be found here and Part 3 can be found here.

Novels:

OVAs:

• Ai no Kusabi (1900s)

Ai no Kusabi was first animated as a two-part OVA by the Anime International Company, Inc. (AIC). The first episode was released in August 1992 and the second episode was released in May 1994.

In 1996, Yamato Video licensed the series and released it in Italy on DVD. The OVAs have not been licensed by any English dubbing company. Aarinfantasy translated the OVAs in English and Yaoi-Ouji translated it into French. The English fansubs can be found on the Internet on numerous websites, such as KissAnime or Watchcartoononline. Yaoi-Ouji’s translations for OVA 1 and OVA 2 can be found on YouTube.

• Ai no Kusabi (2012)

In 2010, it was announced that AIC would release a remake of the Ai no Kusabi series in a twelve-episode season (originally slated to be thirteen episodes, but was later confirmed to be twelve). The first four episodes were released, but due to poor sales and lack of funding, production for the remake OVAs was cut and discontinued.

American company Media Blasters officially licensed the series in English. Media Blasters first released the OVAs on DVD with only English subtitles on April 23, 2013, and then re-released with English dub, provided by Kocha Sound, on Blu-ray on August December 19, 2017. However, due to Media Blasters’ poor business practices, the DVD/Blu-ray releases contain numerous mistranslations and spelling and grammatical errors.

Aarinfantasy translated the OVAs in English, which are more accurate than Media Blasters’ translations; Yaoi-Ouji translated it in French; and Cat&Lynx translated it into Russian. The English fansubs can be found on the Internet on numerous websites, such as KissAnime or Watchcartoononline.

An interview with the author of Ai no Kusabi, Rieko Yoshihara, was included in the limited edition of the first episode in Japan. The interview has been translated by rainbowfam and can be read here.

With assistance from renna_roxaine, we conducted an interview with Brittany Lauda and Matt Shipman, the owners of Kocha Sound and ADR directors and voice actors who worked on the Ai no Kusabi English dub. Renna_Roxaine graciously allowed me the opportunity to send and ask questions to Ms. Lauda and Mr. Shipman when they went to Delta H Con back in July. While I compiled the interview questions, she interviewed them in-person. Renna_Roxaine originally volunteered to transcribe the interview, which she recorded with her phone, into text, but after a while of radio silence and multiple failed attempts of contacting her, it doesn't seem like the interview will be transcribed in the near future or at all.

Drama CDs:

Comments

( 8 comments — Leave a comment )
maneleleina01
Sep. 1st, 2018 11:17 pm (UTC)

Thank you! This helps a lot!!!

utauda14
Sep. 1st, 2018 11:27 pm (UTC)
You are welcome! :D I'm glad fans are finding the Master List helpful!
sscullys
Oct. 20th, 2018 07:01 pm (UTC)
thank you so much! i still love ai no kusabi after all this years, and it is such a shame that we are so scattered. I hope your work collecting all the info can help revive the fandom a bit :)
utauda14
Oct. 20th, 2018 07:11 pm (UTC)
You are welcome! :D Thank you for dropping by a thank-you message, as well!

If you ever want to connect with more AnK fans, check out of the Discord, too!

The Master List is incomplete, so I'll be updating with more content when and if I find some. There are so many fans scattered around the world and "Ai no Kusabi" is a series that I think new fans can find intriguing, so hope the list will be useful to both old and new fans. :) Thank you again for your comment!
blue_cottage
Dec. 13th, 2018 05:15 am (UTC)
Hello! Thanks so much for your hardwork compiling everything into the masterlist! Also sending loves to all people who very generous to share the novel and translation for other fans.

One thing that confusing me is, I watched the original but for the remake, I think I only watched the beginning because I was on semester exam and I need to stop everything abt yaoi lol. But after reading your post, does it mean the remake version is suspended and there is no clear ending? *forgive my english!*
utauda14
Dec. 13th, 2018 05:34 am (UTC)
Hello! Thank you for your kind words! And no worries, your English is very good! :)

Yes, the remake OVAs are incomplete. Because of budget issues, the remake OVAs have been officially suspended and the rest of the novels will not be produced. If you want to find out the full story, you'll have to read the original source, the novels.
blue_cottage
Dec. 13th, 2018 06:22 am (UTC)
I see! Aaahhh..thats so sad.

I think they are doing a good job when promoting it months before the release. It makes us jumping in seats haha. And the publicity for the remake is widely known too, so I never imagined cost will be an issue later. The remake looks delicious lol, but the original one will always be in the heart. Thanks for the heads up ;)
utauda14
Dec. 13th, 2018 07:39 pm (UTC)
Indeed. Unfortunately, there's not really much that be done.

Everyone was looking for the remake OVAs because it was going to stick closer to the novels, so it's disappointing we never see the novels fully adapted into a proper anime.

No problem. :) If you want to interact with other fans, head to the Discord server! We're always glad to get new members.
( 8 comments — Leave a comment )