?

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Translation errors in Ai no Kusabi Vol 8

This is my last post about Volume 8 translation error.
Fan translation done by metakite and me, many thanks to Metakite and her friend Toeko for the discussion!
For Chapter 12 &13, please click on:
http://community.livejournal.com/ai-no-kusabi-/210371.html
http://community.livejournal.com/ai-no-kusabi-/209978.html

Eng vol 8 p.19 // jap vol 6 p.21
あっさり言うものだな。PETを飼うためのとしては贅沢すぎるという声もあるが?

Official translation: “There are those who say it is too much for the likes of a love nest,” Raoul countered.
"I’ll say it plainly; you know there are those who say it is much too extravagant a cage for keeping a pet.”

Eng vol 8 p.38-40 // Jap vol 6 p.54-56
Page order is not correct. The following is the correct one:
page 38, until the line "Iason was likely the only one of them all who ever changed his hair in this manner."
Followed by page 39-40: "It would be hard to sense what Iason was thinking...............Unable to deny the truth of those words."
Followed by page 38-39: "Riki grabbed onto Guy's arm. "Guy, stop."........... What was even more unbelievable was the look on Riki's face, as if he knew."
Followed by page 40:
The slumdogs were only too aware that not only just Riki but Guy..........."

With two translation errors:
俺は俺なりに、ずっと気になってましたよ。あの半軟禁生活は、いったい何だったんだろうかって
Official translation: “I always wondered what those six months of imprisonment meant.”
p.38: "I always wondered what that half a month of imprisonment meant."

p.39

Usually, It would be hard to sense the inorganic nature of Iason.
The grace of his movements…….. bionic optics.
The difference between blondie and other elite was obvious: the gap of absolute hierarchy.
The only thing purely organic were the unaugmented parts of his original brain, but the sense of existence of Iason overwhelmed his artificial nature.
When the Bison’s member knew the one standing in front of them was Tanagura Blondy, they wondered what kind of joke this was, and started to petrify.

Eng vol 8 p.43 // Jap vol 6 p.63
"今更 見栄を張っても 仕方な かろう?" 
Official translation: “It is futile to resist me.” (Iason is speaking here.)
“Nothing can be done about it now even if you flaunt now.”

Eng vol 8 p.58-59 // Jap vol 6 p.90-92

There were sexaroids -- The most common sexaroids did not have sexual desire. Sex was carried out according to the program coded within the implanted IC chip. They couldn't perform skills that were not specified in the program.
Of course, it had nothing to do with pleasure; they only followed the program loyally. "Which was why in Midas none existed. From the most expensive taste to the most……………………….courtesans.

The Blondies being equipped to be the highest grade of sexaroids was unknown save to a very few. Iason was the only Blondie that put his "function" into practice with a poker face.
Iason's tastes was limited to mongrels, which was why he was called a deviant.
Katze did not have a means to feel pleasure..........----- or so Katze thought.
However, Katze was shocked when he knew the humanoid Iason wasn't just obsessed with Riki, he also lusted after Riki.

Did Iason's lust come from the fact that he was the highest grade sexaroid with artificial genitals?
Katze knew that was not the case. It was not about the presence of sex organs. The human brain was the origin of Iason's lust.
All of Iason's senses ..........the reach of an AI.

After all of this time, Katze couldn’t help but understand a fact. Instead of feeling a sense of loss for his genitals he should have, made him possibly deny his own human emotions, what he realized was the inevitability of human coming into contact with one another.

Eng vol 8 p.59 //Jap vol 6 p.92

Katze felt uneasy with what Riki casually said, and he was certain that it was not only a baseless fear.
Katze: "Break it off, it has been years”. (Katze was talking about Riki’s relationship with Guy)
Riki: “ I came by choice and it came back to haunt me ( about Riki’s first meeting with Iason and proposing Iason with sex).Because I swiped/swindled that fellow. (Riki is talking about pick pocketing a man within Iason's view and how he got into the whole mess so swiped works better than words like pilfered, duped, stole from, ripped off etc.) All these years, I’ve been wrapped around his finger and he did as he pleased with me.”
Katze: “If this is the case, then seriously you have to accept it. Dealing with Iason, even if you are justified, it’s no use.”

Eng vol 8 p.60 // Jap vol 6 p.93

違う。おまえが、PRIDE権化みたいなBLONDIEをただのSEXARIODきずりとした張本人だってことをだ。
"No, I'm saying that you are the one who's dragged a Blondie, a man who's the very incarnation of pride, down to the mere level of a sexaroid."

Eng vol 8 p.79 // Jap Vol 6 p.120

Riki was thinking if he should ask Katze the question as an exchange for information, because Katze seemed to wonder why Riki has been moved to Apathia, since Katze didn't asked.

Eng vol 8 p.101 // Jap Vol 6  p.157

なら。俺にはもう、あまえのことを権利まないのか?
"Then, I no longer have the right to think about you anymore?"

Eng vol 8 p.127 // Jap Vol 6 p.202
Official translation:
“Slumdogs don’t belong in Apatia.”
“Riki suits being pet to a Blondy admirably.”

“SLUM雑種に、Apatiaは分不相応はだけだろ
” Blondypet相応だと思うが?
"Apatia is not suited for a mongrel.
It is suitable for a Blondy's pet, don't you think?"

An update for Chapter 13: Eng Vol 8 p.156 // Jap Vol 6 p.269

Official translation: Iason’s first and last act of compassion.
IASONがその身でしてくれた、土壇場での最初最後好意。それは,過去みをってあまりあった。Iason’s first and last act of kindness, more than compensated for the pain he brought in the past.

Tags:

Comments

( 14 comments — Leave a comment )
a_ngua
Feb. 19th, 2017 04:28 pm (UTC)
Once more we can see how undervalued is work of a translator.
A good one that is. ... lost in translation indeed.
Sometime I think it would be better DMP never took this one and we never read it :(
I'll have to reread volume using your translation this time.

I remember some of the conversations and argues among fans about some things/"facts" in AnK verse and about Iason mainly; and in just few "omitted" sentences (by translator) - it's all there, explained. No need for guessing, contemplating or explaining as we see fit.
For me, AnK stays as forever favorite. It broke my heart and I can only be content that it was not for the wrong reasons.
Thank you so much for this, it's really appreciated! <3

Edited at 2017-02-19 04:29 pm (UTC)
rainbowfam
Mar. 10th, 2017 01:34 pm (UTC)
Thanks for your comment! ^_^
>>Sometime I think it would be better DMP never took this one and we never read it :(
Yea, I agree, the worst thing is we read the simplified version and think it is all we get from the author, and have a wrong impression of the story. But on the other hand, it may be better than nothing because I guess no one will attempt to translate this difficult and long novel...
utauda14
Feb. 19th, 2017 08:58 pm (UTC)
This is really great stuff! Thank you so much again for doing this.

Man, with all the stuff that got lost in translations and got cut out, I really wish that someone just translate all of the novels on the web and post it here. That way, fans can know the read and know everything "Ai no Kusabi" has to offer without relaying on DMP's half-baked translations.

By the way, I wanted to ask you something: Are you familiar with a Tumblr user that goes by the name AmoisLibrary? Here's the link to her blog~ http://amoislibrary.tumblr.com/

She's a really awesome user who's translating all of the "Ai no Kusabi's CD Dramas. Stuff I've never even seen before. I've been thinking about asking her if I can post her translations on the LJ community. I think the two of you will hit it off since you're both doing translations for the series. :)
ngleek
Feb. 22nd, 2017 01:51 am (UTC)
Great news
Time to listen and read the translations!
Thanks =]
utauda14
Feb. 22nd, 2017 03:55 am (UTC)
Re: Great news
No problem! :D
rainbowfam
Mar. 10th, 2017 01:53 pm (UTC)
THANKS A MILLION for introducing this Tumblr blog to me!!!
It’ll be awesome if she could post her work on LJ! I never know there are translations for the drama ^_^
Hope the project is on-going, I’m so desperate for her new translation…

>>I really wish that someone just translate all of the novels on the web and post it here.
Me too! but seems it will never happen :(
utauda14
Mar. 10th, 2017 07:52 pm (UTC)
My pleasure! :D It would be cool if the Tumblr user post her translations on LJ. I've been thinking about asking her, but I think she's inactive? I sent her an anonymous ask a while back ago, a simple thank-you message, but she haven't responded like I check. I bet if more AnK fans contact her and send her messages, she'll know there's still a fanbase out there. :)

As for translating the novels, I'm guessing you won't be able to undertake the task? :(
rainbowfam
Mar. 12th, 2017 07:53 am (UTC)
Her last update was last year.... I'll send a thank-you message too.
As for translating the novels, I'm too busy with real life so I can't take this task...
utauda14
Mar. 12th, 2017 06:41 pm (UTC)
If I'm not able to contact her, I'd like to make an official post so the rest of the community knows about her. But rummaging through her translations is going to take time, which I do not have because of college. T_T

Ah, I see...:( That's a shame, but understandable, of course.
a_grumble_cake
Feb. 19th, 2017 09:17 pm (UTC)
Thank you again for these translations! It's just infuriating that we were cheated out on these last important parts of AnK, after waiting for so many years and shelling out 13$ for a tiny book. I actually sent an angry email to DMP about volume 7 but clearly they didn't care enough to really fix volume 8 before publishing it.
rainbowfam
Mar. 10th, 2017 02:08 pm (UTC)
No problem!
Including the shipping fee, it’s very expensive! I regret buying vol 7, the only thing I can do is not to buy vol 8…
Btw, Vol 8 is better than vol 7, maybe they really did something, (but not enough.)
ngleek
Feb. 22nd, 2017 01:48 am (UTC)
You are all awesome!
OMG! Thank you for these corrections. It makes a lot of difference, at least for me I can feel more passion.
Thank you very much!
Lately, I'v been reading some fanfics if you have some recommendations, please do not doubt on send me an email *wink wink*
*Bow* Thanks!
rainbowfam
Mar. 10th, 2017 02:13 pm (UTC)
Re: You are all awesome!
Thanks for your comment ^_^ I feel the passion too from the original novel but it lost in the DMP translation.
I seldom read fanfics so sorry I can’t give any recommendation.
wraith_fan
Apr. 16th, 2017 06:01 pm (UTC)
Thank you for your hard work and for sharing!!:D

I can imagine that a lot of time goes into translating these things properly, translating literature is always difficult, even light novels, cause whatever translation you end up choosing, something of the original is always lost in translation.

Yeah, I know what you mean, like inaccurate translations in subtitles on tv also drive me crazy! Seriously, one would think that professional translators hired for translating novels and for subtitling tv-shows would be more capable...
( 14 comments — Leave a comment )