?

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

I was organizing my Ai no Kusabi collection when I realized there is no unified list of all official Ai no Kusabi content, which is a real shame because it means lots of fans miss great stuff like the wonderful side stories. This is work in progress so I need your help to fill in the blanks, correct mistakes and verify information (marked with ???).

Latest updates: February 26, 2018, added "Ai No Kusabi: Space Between- Unchained Edition", the dubbed OVA by Anime Works.

Novel:
[Click for Ai no Kusabi novel information]1986-1987 Ai no Kusabi (magazine serialization).
This is where the story was originally published over 6 issues of the yaoi magazine Shousetsu June. It includes a few illustrations.

1990 Ai no Kusabi (hardcover).
The 6 parts that were published in the magazine were slightly reedited and assembled into one hardcover book. This version did not have any illustrations.
Translation: A partial fan translation is available here but no longer updated, it was first translated from Japanese to Spanish and then from Spanish to English.

2001-2010 Ai no Kusabi (paperback series).
The story was expanded and some parts rewritten and released as a series of 6 paperback books. Each volume includes several illustrations.
Copyright issues led to a situation in which the paperback series was released by two different companies in Japan, using different illustrations and covers, and the English version is a combination of both of those releases - read more here.

Translation: The series was officially released by DMP manga via their yaoi imprint, Juné, as an 8 volume series. The official English release of volumes 7-8 were found to be very lacking and so there are partial fan translations for important parts: volume 7 misc., volume 8 ch12, volume 8 ch13, volume 8 misc.
Additional languages: French (ongoing by yaoi-ouji).

Video (OVA):
[Click for Ai no Kusabi anime information]1992-1994: Ai no Kusabi (2 parts).
A two part OVA released 2 years apart.
Translation: A fan translation is available on aarinfantasy. Additional languages: Italian dubbing (official release), French (by yaoi-ouji).

2012: Ai no Kusabi (4 parts).
Known as the 2012 remake, 4 Episodes were released out of 13 planned but further production stopped, apparently due to poor sales and lack of funding.
Translation: There are 2 official English releases - 2013 edition with English subtitles by Media Blasters and 2018 edition with English dubbing by Anime Works, both can be bought cheap at Amazon etc. Additional languages: French (by yaoi-ouji).

Drama CDs:
[Click for Ai no Kusabi drama CD information]1989 Ai no Kusabi audio book (???An audio book released on cassette???).
1993 DARK-EROGENOUS (Covers Riki’s training. Translation: Yes, here. Check the bottom of the page for the subbed visualization).
2000 Shiozawa Kaneto Memorial (???A digitized re-release of the cassette audio book from 1989??? in memory of voice actor Shiozawa Kaneto).
2007 〜DESTINY〜       (Covers Iason and Riki’s meeting and Riki in the black market. Translation: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (in progress)​).
2008 〜NIGHTMARE〜 (Covers Riki's time in Eos. Translation: None available).
2008 〜RESONANCE〜 (Covers Riki's time in Eos up until his return to Ceres. Translation: None available).

Soundtracks:
[Click for Ai no Kusabi soundtrack information]Note: Several tracks on these soundtracks contain character monologues but none of them have been translated yet.

1992 Original Soundtrack
1993 Sense of Crisis
1994 Ambivalence
1994 Sympathy
1995 Sound Selections ~Oracion~
(2 CD set)
2001 Music Best ~ Iason

Side Stories:
[Click for Ai no Kusabi side stories information]Note: This section is probably missing a lot of information. Please let me know if you have anything to add.

1996 Midnight Illusion (A full length book released in 1996).
Summary: It's possibly a prequel but not much is known about this yet.
Translation: None available.

2010 Illusion Night (A short story published to mark the end of the paperback series in 2010).
Summary: Riki is unsure of his feelings towards Iason after being moved to Apatia.
Translation: Yes, translated by lyrebird.

2012 Daryl short story (Included in the special edition of the 2012 OVA remake DVD release).
Summary: 4 short chapters describing Daryl's life as Iason Mink's furniture.
Translation: Chapter 3: Impulse and Chapter 4: The Night of Disgrace were translated by rainbowfam. Chapters 1-2 have not been translated by anyone yet.

2012 Kizu (Included with the Drama CD 〜RESONANCE〜)
Summary: Bison is celebrating a victory against a rival gang but Riki can't stop thinking about his encounter with a Blondie...
Translation: Yes, translated by lyrebird.

2012 Musk (A short story published in Chara magazine Vol. 25).
Summary: Riki's life after his return to Eos.
Translation: The first 4 pages were translated by rainbowfam and subaru_san. The rest is not yet translated.

Sources: ainokusabi.net, wikipedia, google, this livejournal community.

Comments

( 19 comments — Leave a comment )
passiflora182
Nov. 1st, 2015 03:39 am (UTC)
Thank you so much for your hard work :)
utauda14
Nov. 1st, 2015 09:03 pm (UTC)
This is great! It makes it easier to find everything. :D Thanks so much!
maneleleina01
Nov. 2nd, 2015 11:22 am (UTC)
waaah thank you so much, i couldn't find the soundtracks before so this is awesome
domi75
Nov. 2nd, 2015 06:30 pm (UTC)
thank you so much:)
la_prime
Nov. 4th, 2015 09:12 pm (UTC)
Thank you so much for incredible work!
rath08
Nov. 7th, 2015 09:18 am (UTC)
this clearly makes everything easier to find, thank you! :)
syzygy_lestat
Nov. 8th, 2015 01:02 pm (UTC)
Great idea and effort! Thanks a lot for putting this together :)
mysweetfetish
Nov. 17th, 2015 03:32 am (UTC)
this is awesome! thank you :)
ank_art
Nov. 26th, 2015 12:57 pm (UTC)
Thank you very much for this. :)~
kitsunebella
Jan. 3rd, 2016 05:39 am (UTC)
AnK Officially Published Master List
I actually did something not too long ago in spreadsheet format, mainly for my own use as a means for cataloging my AnK collection so far. Unfortunately, when my external crashed, I lost the entire thing!!!! And that included my entire collection!!!! :(
BUT that goodness I also wrote everything done so it would not be too hard to redo the list. Mine included release dates of everything so I would be able to develop a chronological publication list.
The only thing I excluded off of my list were the side stories which were only included as bonuses in other materials.
This is awesome!
I was able to locate translations of a few of the dialogue tracks from the soundtrack CDs via various tumblr blogs. Whether or not I'll be able to share them here I'm not sure. Since I was able to purchase 3 of the CDs I was also able to do translations of the cover inserts. Those I'd love to share! :)
I have to rescan the inserts when I have a chance.

Edited at 2016-01-03 05:57 am (UTC)
a_grumble_cake
Jan. 6th, 2016 10:50 pm (UTC)
Re: AnK Officially Published Master List
Your entire AnK collection was gone? Nightmare material! I have one backup that I keep but it's often out of date, I should keep backups better... I don't know what I'll do if I ever lose my hard drive, there's so much stuff there.

I hope more translations will turn up. The newer drama CDs for eample seem to have all sorts of scenarios and conversations that weren't in anything else, for example of blondies talking about Iason when he's not around and things of that nature. More Raul scenes too.
kitsunebella
Jan. 7th, 2016 01:21 am (UTC)
Re: AnK Officially Published Master List
>Your entire AnK collection was gone? Nightmare material!

Well, to clarify: as things happened and I checked to see what files I did have...it didn't turn into as much of a total cluster-f*@# as I originally thought THANK GOD FOR CLOUD-FLIPPING STORAGE!!!! My cloud drives literally saved my arse! Especially, where all my translation work is concerned. Geez! I was imagining the heartbreak if I lost EVERYTHING I've done so far! I'd want to commit seppuku! Although I'll have to salvage most of my collection of AnK-related fan art (I managed to save the bulk of the more important ones), between what files I had on my various cloud sources and document files that I printed out, I managed to rescue most if not all of my collection. Phew! I got out of that one.

But the drive I lost had all of my other blog and other files....I had a lot of other yaoi/shounen-ai and other anime and manga stuff on there too! Plus some other things. UGH! It was a nightmare to lose that. It was another to also with a month of losing that drive, my computer did an imitation of turtle road-kill! :) and it took time to replace that one too. But I'm relieved that things are more or less sorted now.

From this whole experience I learned that it pays to have more than one backup. If you can afford to do, I strongly recommend getting a second external drive and make frequent backups of your desktop computer. That was really the only way I was able to subvert what would have been a total catastrophe.

>CD Drama remakes=translations
Oh my god, yeah! I keep checking around but I don't think anyone attempted to translate them. I also know there are a few stories with Zack and Alec that I'd love to hear. I don't know if the CD's come with any notes/scripts. Hopefully I'll be able to order those soon as well as the rest of the music. I'll post scans of the covers and liner notes of the ones I was able to get so far. It was also be neat if a translation turned up for the very first audio drama (re-released on CD as Shiozawa Memorial)

As for my own translation projects: they're continuing. After a period of reorganization and recollecting my "wits" I can resume things. Just as a quick update:

Musk= I'm past the point where the original fan translation ended so I'm working through the rest of the section. When I get to my end point, I'll proof it and post it.

Ank: Midnight Illusion prequel novel: Chapter one- translation completed; proofing the translation draft. Chapter Two- translation half completed.

2nd ed. AnK novel: Chapter 4- translation half completed.

And we won't go into all the doujinshi I have lined up for translation. ;) But I want to get through the other three projects first.

Edited at 2016-01-07 01:51 am (UTC)
a_grumble_cake
Jan. 9th, 2016 12:36 am (UTC)
Wow, you've done so much! I don't know how you find the patience, simple translation work is complicated and time consuming enough but AnK is notorious for it's tricky prose so it must be a lot more complicated than usual, it makes me appreciate Kelly Quine's work on the novels, I think she struck a fair balance between literal and readable, although maybe a bit too much on the literal side.

I've had an external hard drive on my shopping list for a few months now but I can't seem to find the extra cash to buy one :/
I hope nothing bad happens before I do get one.
kitsunebella
Jan. 9th, 2016 05:31 am (UTC)
>it makes me appreciate Kelly Quine's work on the novels, I think she struck a fair balance between literal and readable, although maybe a bit too much on the literal side.

I totally agree with ya there. I certainly appreciated the "completeness" of her translation work, which made Vols 7 and 8 pale in comparison. As for my translations: I'll never be able to vouch for their accuracy (though I do my best to get as close to what the author intended with the meaning, and since I'm studying the language, I've been using the translations as a means for practice. At the present time, I'm working on my listening skills by tracking down original Japanese text scripts that are used for sub work and getting a taste of language shadowing. Many of the sentences have been broken up by time stops for each line what would have to be translated for adding and timing the subtitles. It's sort of interesting to learn how this stage of anime post-production is done.

>I've had an external hard drive on my shopping list for a few months now but I can't seem to find the extra cash to buy one :/

Umpf! Part of doing Computer Security risk assessment and mediation is one very important lesson I learned during my whole ordeal: the biggest mistake I made was waiting for disaster to strike and putting way too much faith in my backup arrangement. External drives and desktop hard drives are going to eventually fail.....it's almost as sure as death and taxes. I was fortunate that I was able to replace my computer and added a couple more external drives to my system. But I also invested in cloud storage and it was my iCloud drive (I have all Apple computers) that helped save my butt with a lot of the documents I was glad to recover. Best suggestion I have for you is, locate your most critical or important files (those you definitely can't afford to lose---computer system backups are a good example) and upload them to a file cloud storage site. Most sites give you 5-15GB for free but, it is at least better than nothing. OneDrive, which is a part of Microsoft Office 360, gives you 1TB as part of your subscription. There's plenty of others, but definitely look into storing some of your files on one of those sites. I have my files spread out over these sites: Google Drive, Mediafire, MEGA, OneDrive, iCloud drive, and Dropbox. It will save you a lot of heartache later on.

Edited at 2016-01-09 05:37 am (UTC)
a_grumble_cake
Jan. 9th, 2016 10:46 pm (UTC)
Ugh you are totally right, I shouldn't wait for a disaster to come. I didn't realize there are free cloud services, thanks for letting me know. I'm definitely going to use one to backup one crucial folder I keep my most current and important files in.

Edited at 2016-01-09 10:46 pm (UTC)
celvin Wong
Sep. 20th, 2016 05:19 am (UTC)
daryl short stories
is anyone doing the chapter 1 and 2 of daryl short stories? Idk if this master list is updated so just asking.
a_grumble_cake
Sep. 20th, 2016 12:22 pm (UTC)
Re: daryl short stories
I'm keeping the list updated using this community, the tumblr tag and people notifying me about new things. But as far as I know, no one has translated or is working on those two chapters...
celvin Wong
Oct. 8th, 2016 04:41 am (UTC)
Re: daryl short stories
thanks for telling me and I really wanted to know more about aaron tbh I wish the author would put more side stories or a spin off on another character? I'm always curious about the other pets.
yesterdaz
Sep. 1st, 2017 03:46 pm (UTC)
Ai no Kusabi Drama CD
I noticed that you had translations for the Drama CD, but they are also translated on YouTube if you are interested. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzUptTKIjHM&list=PLwGWuEGE4lucsqr9nRzv2I0zYGl6adsQC
( 19 comments — Leave a comment )