February 21st, 2012

riki
  • labingi

Brief Ai no Kusabi 2012 Thoughts

(Very vague, early story spoilers. I'm not bothering to cut.)

I've seen the first two episodes of the new AnK OVA now (the second I've only seen raw). I'm liking this remake and feeling apprehensive about rumors that they're only going to air four episodes: there's no way they'll complete the story in that time, and I have a sneaking fear the whole thing's just going to die half done.

But anyway, the first episode opened--pretty much like the novel--with lots of torture. It was okay; it was AnK. I liked the introduction of Daryl (missing from the 1992 OVA). The second episode, however, has won me. It's showing excellent characterization, doing a nice job of depicting Riki-as-badass-uke and top quality work with Riki and Guy and the understated but undeniable disintegration of their prior relationship. In general, I like the fact that this version is getting the breathing room the earlier OVA lacked to explore the characters and world a little more leisurely.

I knew I would love the original OVA at the moment when Guy hugs Riki. I felt similarly here. When you get good characterization of the boys from Bison, you know you've hit on a retelling that knows what it's doing. This one has it.

I'd like to say something intelligent about Katze, but all his development was dialogue and couldn't catch squat in Japanese; I'll have to wait for the sub. The seiyuu is an interesting contrast to the 1992 choice. This time they've gone more for what you might expect: a soft, quiet voice, at least in the presence of Iason. It kind of makes more sense but is also kind of less original than the very powerful voice of the previous Katze. I wonder how he'll sound addressing his subordinates...

Verdict: So far so good! I hope someday they'll air the whole thing.