January 12th, 2008

There are no words, really, except what I'm trying to write here...

Hello everyone.

I just finished watching the two OAVs for the... 4th time straight through, maybe? I can't recall when the last time I really watched them was. I've actually owned a fansub VHS for probably six or seven years now. I can't really remember; I know I was in high school; I'm 24 now. Anyway, I literally sobbed for a good five minutes during the last half and after. Again. Ai no Kusabi is one of the most powerful things I have ever watched.

Some of the background story might not make a lot of sense and whatnot, but I don't think it matters. It just still amazes me after these number of years how something like AnK could make me cry for so many different reasons. Not just about what happens in the end. How cruel society can be or what emotional and physical feelings can do to us. I'm sure most of you feel the same way to some degree, but I just wanted to share my thoughts with some other people. I don't usually watch anime with other people.

Another thing that popped into my head while I was thinking about writing this post was the fact that this is really just a yaoi story. I actually think it would be just as meaningful if either Riki or Iason... or even Guy, I guess, were a woman. I don't know if this is a stupid idea or it might not make sense since a woman would be in a totally different position in the world of AnK, but I digress.

Anyway, I'm sorry this post was so ranty but I just felt like making it. For those of you who seriously sat down and watched AnK, how did it effect you? Especially the first time. Even if you were maybe just watching it for the sex or something, what impression did it leave? I'm curious.

I just recently found out that Yoshihara's original novel was being officially translated and it made me want to watch the OAVs again. I can't wait to get my hands on the novel; I've been wanting to for years. ...I'm really going to stop before I make this too jumbled. I'm sorry~ I'm still kind of reeling. :D

- Rebecca