?

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

question from a fan

I have a question and i'm new so please forgive me if i'm being rude by posting this here
I love the Ai no kusabi novels and i read the english volumes and i felt like there were parts from the original novel that were left out .Am i wrong ? I heard the author rewrote the newer novels adding extras plots to it but did she also cut some parts too?

Comments

( 10 comments — Leave a comment )
a_ngua
Sep. 11th, 2014 07:53 am (UTC)
It seems translator (of the last two vol) took liberty to make things “simpler” and thus indeed practically skip some parts from original/novel in Japanese.
Since this information came from Japanese native readers and also people fluent in Japanese who owns the Japanese version I don’t have reason to doubt.
Unfortunately DMP/Juné publisher obviously don’t care about quality and their responsibility to writers/magaka and us, readers and customers.
a_grumble_cake
Sep. 11th, 2014 11:24 am (UTC)
So the same happened with the last volume? I really think someone who speaks Japanese should contact the Japanese publishers and inform them about this.
a_ngua
Sep. 11th, 2014 12:49 pm (UTC)
Unfortunately, I don't think Japanese publishers care beyond selling license, they are concentrated only on Japanese market.
It's confusing to me since there's obviously world wide interest for all genre Japanese manga and novels in English which US publishers use to sell poor quality for high price.
This critic is first and foremost directed to DMI/DMP; SuBLime has better quality, the rest of US publishers are defunct so no point to discus their quality this late...

Edited at 2014-09-11 12:50 pm (UTC)
a_grumble_cake
Sep. 11th, 2014 01:07 pm (UTC)
I'm not sure the first part is true at all - the Japanese are known for the diligence in fulfilling contracts properly, attention to detail and putting out carefully crafted products. I believe if they knew about this, they might do something to rectify it or prevent it from happening again.

I think maybe we're overestimating how big the paying BL market is because otherwise why would we be stuck with a couple of surviving companies like DMP or sublime while the other companies shut down? Is it because all those companies sucked or because not enough people are willing to pay for BL? Or maybe it's a combination of reasons.

That is also why I'm hesitant about possibly hurting DMP, because we are pretty much dependent on that terrible company now. But I do think that a bad overpriced English translation is -worse- than no translation at all so that's why I think it should be reported to the publisher or even the writer.
kitsunebella
Sep. 13th, 2014 10:40 pm (UTC)
>Unfortunately DMP/Juné publisher obviously don’t care about quality and their responsibility to writers/magaka and us, readers and customers.

I'm in totally argument and it makes me very sad. It's also obvious that DMP/June didn't care about this title and the translator of the last two volumes should be drawn and quartered for butchering this story! It is not a translator's job to 'make a name for herself or himself' by taking liberties with the source material that he or she hasn't the right to. UGH! Under US copyright law translations are considered derivative works...but even still a translator's role is just to interpret someone's language into the reader's native one. That's it.
It makes me made and I wish I understand more Japanese...I'd do my own translations, share them with everyone here and hopefully they would be better than what was forced on us. :'(
kamerin_chan
Sep. 12th, 2014 07:51 am (UTC)
The following is mostly conjecture. It's mostly my opinion.

I wouldn't expect much from DMP/Juné, the Japanese licensors, or the writer if I were you. If enough people complained then *maybe* DMP/Juné might do something, but the problem is getting the right number of people. The problem with getting the Japanese company to care is that they probably won't. As for the writer there's the language gap that stops that short. Now for some examples. :)

The way I understand it once contracts are made and the source material from Japan makes it to the Japanese company said Japanese company doesn't have much to do with how the product is handled. For example, Viz Media accidentally got the TV broadcast of Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan instead of the final blu-ray version from the licensors. The Japanese company did nothing and neither did Viz (except a dumb announcement).

DMP/Juné will fix things IF a TON or the right people complain about something. Nao Yazawa wasn't happy with the resolution and size her original manga were being released at and she personally contacted DMP about it at which point they fixed it. She also has voiced her wonder over why English readers don't seem to care about quality. However, she is a very proactive mangaka who speaks English and is a rare case. 95% of the time DMP/Juné will not make changes just because a small handful of people complain.

Again, totally my personal opinion. If you do want to get people bringing awareness to DMP's eyes I suggest doing it in a place that will garner the most attention. tumblr for example gets a ton of traffic and if you get enough people going there then maybe http://digitalmanga.tumblr.com/ will take notice. You'll probably have a better chance trying to change something domestically rather than going straight to the source. Also, you'll have a better time getting them to react by doing it publicly rather than isolated, quiet emails. ;)

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything. I swear. ^^;; Just trying to provide another perspective based upon a lot of reading geared toward English publishers with some anime mixed in.
kitsunebella
Sep. 13th, 2014 10:28 pm (UTC)
Re: Question from a fan
Hi,
The history of the novel in regard to the various versions that were released within AnK's 20+ year history is a tad confusing to say the least; I've been attempting to chart it's course based on what information is available on the web for a fan site project that I've in the works--- planning a comprehensive AnK resource has proven a challenge but I love it! No date on my shrine's unveiling but I hope it will be soon; I'll post the link here when I feel it's ready for visitors.

The way I've come to understand things-- the translations of Vols 1-6 were supposedly based on the re-released vol's that the author reedited and expanded; the English translations of Vol's 7-8 I believe are based on the Chara versions and release of those here in the US was delayed due to DMP having to renegotiate their licensing deal with the new Japanese publisher that had bought the rights to the series for re-issue in Japan. Because of that DMP had to acquire a new translator and the illustrator credited on the English Vols 7 & 8 was the same one as the one for the Japanese Chara versions. Ever since DMP released the final two volumes of AnK caused some controversy amongst fans namely, the accuracy of the English translations of those vols are sketchy, with sections either deleted, or wrongly translated. Also there's some inconsistencies within the later volumes (7 and 8) compared to the rest of them. It would seem as if the editor in charge never bothered to check for continuity errors or simply proofreading the final manuscripts before publication. If I was in charge of their editing department there would be no way I'd let those go out without proper proofreading and checking everything first. But that is just me being picky.

I honestly don't want to believe anything was censored. To play devil's advocate in a way, Japanese is not an easy language to translate and doesn't lend itself to literal translations. From my experience in languages, I find it much easier to translate from French and German into English (both of those languages I've studied and I'm partially still fluent in French and can contextually translate German to English). Just with my fledgling attempts at doing my own translations of the novels for practicing the Japanese I learned so far, it's hard as ass to translate and with this author in particular with her use of uncommon kanji...holy smokes! Also keep in mind--- in most languages there are such things as idiomatic language and Japanese has a truck load of that. Idiomatic language is incredibly difficult to translate into English properly and place into proper context. And some things simply don't translate into English at all.... so there will be things missing and context assumptions made. I really hope nothing was censored from the translated versions because as a literature student and anti-censorship advocate that would just piss me off.

rainbowfam
Nov. 2nd, 2014 07:55 am (UTC)
I made a post two years ago discussing the translation error/ missing plot in vol 7.
http://community.livejournal.com/ai_no_kusabi_/172154.html
Vol 8 is much better with fewer translation errors and missing lines. There was no long paragraph missing, but still some of the short sentences, which were not important to the development of the story, were simplified or skipped. If I have time, I will make a post to spot them out if people are interested to know what is missing in vol 8.
kitsunebella
Dec. 10th, 2014 02:29 am (UTC)
Hi http://rainbowfam.livejournal.com/
Yeah, if you have the time, I'd be very curious to see what was missing from Vol. 8. For practice I'm working on a translation of Chapter 10 from Vol. 5 (Chara edition). It's hard for me to know for sure how I'm doing so far (I'm in the middle of page 215 if that's any indication.
It's also funny that mentioned your other post.... I was looking for it in order to use it as a reference in order to see what you had done as the corrected translation to one of the incorrect ones).
I'll definitely post what I have done so far when I feel brave enough.... ;-)
metakite
Dec. 15th, 2014 12:12 pm (UTC)
Working on it.
I have more proofreading to send to rainbowfam.
( 10 comments — Leave a comment )