Eleanor (otilu) wrote in adventchildren_,
Eleanor
otilu
adventchildren_

I don't know if this has been pointed out before, but I've gone through about three or four pages of posts in this community and I haven't found it yet. So, a little cameo for you all regarding Tifa's infamous dub line.

'Dilly Dally Shilly Shally'.

I remember someone pointing out that dilly-dally is in fact a correct term, and it is:

dil·ly-dal·ly (dĭl'ē-dăl'ē) pronunciation
intr.v., -lied, -lying, -lies.

To waste time, especially in indecision; dawdle or vacillate.

(From www.answers.com)

But the second part, 'shilly-shally'... I thought that even though it was a correct term, it was so obsolete that it could only have been put there to rhyme with the first one.

shil·ly-shal·ly (shĭl'ē-shăl'ē) pronunciation
intr.v., -lied (-lēd), -ly·ing, -lies (-lēz).

1. To procrastinate.
2. To be unable to come to a decision; vacillate.
3. To spend time on insignificant things; dawdle.

(Ditto)

Until, I went back to reading Dante's The Divine Comedy after the hundreds of repetitions of Advent Children had grown less sparkly. And to my delight, there it was!

( Inferno; Canto II; Lines 37-39 )

And like somebody who shilly-shallies,
And thinks again about what he has decided,
So that he gives up everything he has started,

In fact, Cloud's doubt in that scene mirrors Dante's as he is repelled from climbing the Delectable Mountain by the She-Wolf, the Lion, and the Leopard. (Respectively, the pursuit of possessions (materialistic obsession), pride, and sensuality.)

[Edit:] It wasn't meant to say that Advent Children purposefully references Inferno, that would be a bit far-flung, but it's still an interesting fact that I had to go back to the 1300s for the term, as well as the parallels in character.

Discuss, perhaps?
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic

Your IP address will be recorded 

When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 12 comments