?

No account? Create an account

20 June 2004 @ 08:49 pm
Drabble  
Drabble, concerning our schizophrenic little hero.

Summary: Zack dies, Cloud breaks.

"No," his breath hitched, blood bubbling at the corner of his mouth, "it's not supposed to end this way..."

Zack stared up, no longer able to turn his head. His chest felt like it was on fire, he could barely breathe. They'd used what, four rounds? Typical Shinra overkill. Four machine gun rounds to bring down one man.

"Zack," questioned a voice to his left, "...Zack?"

He focused, and blond spikes and blank blue eyes came into sight. "Cloud," he sighed, "how did you-?"

Cloud dragged a hesitant finger down the curve of Zack's cheek, smearing the blood onto his own hands.

"Zack..." Cloud's blank, glowing eyes flickered, "we're going to get out, Cloud. Soon. Soon. And we'll be free. Right, Zack? Free?"

"How did you get over here?" Zack coughed, feeling like he was drowning for a minute, struggling to breathe through red, "You can barely move."

Cloud looked down at his muddied hands, now spattered red, and the earth and ooze caked on his clothes from crawling. He blinked, hands idly splashing in Zack's blood. "Run from Hojo, and i'll take you to Midgar. We can hide there... I'm in SOLDIER, you know." Cloud cocked his head to the side, "Won't that be nice, Cloud? Zack- find him, and-" He shook his head, confused.

Zack half-smiled, not much able to see. "Sorry, Cloud," he rasped, "I... don't think I'll be taking you to Midgar."

"Zack?" asked Cloud quietly, putting his dirt-streaked hands on the older man's chest, "...Zack...?"

Zack didn't move. There was no rise and fall of breath, no heartbeat.

Cloud panicked. "Don't leave me!" he screamed, "Don't leave me alone!" His hands closed convulsively, tearing clumps of grass from the ground. "Don't leave me here!"

Suddenly, as if all the life had been drained from him in a moment, Cloud sat still, hands no longer gripping the ground, eyes glowing and empty. "We'll be free, right, Cloud?" he whispered, staring at nothing, "Right? Free?"

Rain began to patter down, going from a trickle to a downpour in no time at all. Cloud looked down at his own hands, black and red and white in streaks, running off with the rain. If he was crying, he couldn't tell.

The rain splashed in the bloody puddle, diluting it, feeding the plants with Zack's life. He put his hands to the ground.

"Beautiful," he crooned, "beautiful..." His smeared fingertips made such nice patterns on the wet grass, and he steadfastly ignored the cooling body of his only friend. "It's nice, isn't it Cloud? Isn't it? We have to get out, Zack. Yes Cloud, yes, soon, hold on a little longer..."

Cloud giggled, an insane shriek of laughter, and pressed a bloody hand to his face.

Current Music: Stringmachine (Corel prison remix)

Flyckertubaplayerjk on June 21st, 2004 03:08 am (UTC)
I liked it.
Ansem, seeker of the cock: Kadaj - tantrum & grinpowercorrupts on June 21st, 2004 03:25 am (UTC)
NICE! I adore the attention to details. Though, I don't think Cloud is schizophrenic, which is really just being paranoid and hearing voices. If anything, he's one of the dissociative disorders.
But really a delightful drabble!
darkazriel on June 21st, 2004 03:38 am (UTC)
I'm not entirely sure what Cloud is... He's just kind of broken in the head. But Thank you! ^_^
kristenicemilk on June 21st, 2004 04:38 am (UTC)
i agree that cloud is just broken in the head. XD (nicely put!)

though if i've have to label him with anything, it would be avoidant personality disorder. which means that the individual has a desperate need to be apart and fit in (socially or otherwise), but is hindered by an incredible fear of failure/inadequacy.

wonderful drabble, by the way. i loved the way you hinted at the transition of cloud turning into his idea of 'zack.' that's something that i've always been too scared to touch in writing, because it always felt so delicate and complicated. bravo.
Xpseudomachine on June 21st, 2004 07:13 pm (UTC)
taking abnormal psychology, are we? XDD!!! <3

yeah, he just seems like the dissociative identity disorder type. hurray.

-mod
halloweenvixias on June 21st, 2004 03:49 am (UTC)
just...wow.this was amazing.