January 27th, 2004

Bushitler

All I have to say is...

It had better be good!
I know I'll get a LOT of crap from Square fans, but I hated FF9, didn't like X all that much, and really didn't care at all for X-2. Tactics Advance had the weakest storyline of any rpg I've ever played. The Spirits within had horrible character development, and almost no storyline.
Now don't get me wrong, I *love* Squaresoft. Square is my God. But they're storylines/plots/characters have, on the average, gotten progressively weaker ever since 7. Now, I *loved* those aspects of 4 and 6 (5 was alright, too). What this brings to me is a lot of anxiety about AC!
I really don't mind the deficiency in the game series. (Actually, that's a lie. I was pissed about FF9, but that's because I *really* thought it sucked, AND, they got me all excited saying they were going back to the old format.) First, they could always make a comeback. Second, they are separate works. That's why this scares me. Here, they are playing with SEVEN. It's one thing to screw up 9, it's another to screw up 7!
Also, all of my friends who make fun of my FF7 obsession could see what it's all about! I totally lost all credibility when Spirits came out. This has the potential to be one of the greatest movies ever made, which simultaneously gives it the potential to be the greatest disappointment ever.
There was a deep, twisted, psychological aspect to seven; a mysterious puzzle of memory and ego. Much of the story was internal to Cloud, and Sephiroth was not just some evil badass -- he, too, had true depth and character; a deeper evil. To tamper with this legacy is *dangerous.*
I have my fingers crossed...

BTW, I REALLY hope that Uematso does the music!!
  • Current Music
    FF8 -- liberalis fatali; FF7 -- one-winged angel