?

No account? Create an account

14 March 2004 @ 03:57 pm
Here's a discussion that has nothing to do with sequels and remakes :D  
This should make for a good opinion collector. Final Fantasy VII is definitely my favourite RPG of all time, and since It was my first Final Fantasy play, It automatically hold a dear place in my heart. (awe :D). But here are a few questions that I thought of while playing Final Fantasy VI (released as Final Fantasy III). I guess I was comparing the two while I played it, since my ex and I have "discussions" on which is the better FF- 6 or 7.

The questions (my answers will be in italics):

Favourite part in the game that you could play over and over?

The raid on Midgar was my favourite, I guess because since after you leave Midgar you don't really go back to it at all through the majority of the game so Its kind of like revisiting It. And Its just fun beating up on Hojo, Proud Clod, and the Turks.

Least favourite part that you wish you didn't have to do?

I suck at Battle Square, so I tend to just stay away from that unless I'm in the mood to earn some Battle Points. But I don't really like doing the strategy game thing at Fort Condor, probably because I had to do it twice when I accidently knocked into my Playstation and somehow froze it when I was almost done with it. >.<

Favourite Character that was NOT in your party?

Hmmmm..... I always liked Reno from the Turks.

Favourite FMV sequence?

Probably the Sephiroth/Jenova/Nibelheim Sequence. I'm not a big Sephiroth fan, probably because everyone kept telling me before I played the game that he was so bad-ass and awesome and I found that he was just a little dissapointing on the "bad-ass" scale. That's just me however. But, I will give him props for the whole Jenova/Nibelheim sequence, Just because I find the whole Jenova thing fascinating and It was one of those really awesome sequences that really defined a strong moment in the game game.

If there is anything that other RPG's (FF or not) had (special powers, summons....etc.) that you wish was in Final Fantasy VII or do you think It fine the way it is?

Hmmm.... Well, since I'm playing FFVI at the moment, I think the magitek armor is cool and how in the beginning of the game when Locke gets some mogs to help fight was cute, but I think the way the summons, magic, materia....etc. works just fine without anything special, because that's just an essential part of the game and what makes It FFVII. Knights of the Round would make an awesome sequence to remake.

Everytime you play the game over again, is there something new you discover that you either forgot about or never knew that it was there?

At Costa Del Sol, when everyone is resting and there are kids playing soccer, you can kick the soccer ball and have It hit Red XIII. lol. I think that's the last thing I discovered that I never noticed before, on accident, the last couple of times I played it.

Current Mood: busybusy

Suragan: Ooh Aah! // insanegerbillvcifer on March 14th, 2004 01:03 pm (UTC)
Cool questions! Here are my replies.

I actually played the Kalm/Nibelheim sequence over and over again my first time around, 'cause I was such a big Sephiroth fan. T3T I just thought it was so angsty.. did I even know what angst was when I was 10? Probably not. XD

Um. Hm. I... really don't think I had one. o_o

I'd have to agree with Reno; he was badass. Reno and Sephiroth.

Favourite FMV sequence?
The whole Nibelheim thing.

If there is anything that other RPG's (FF or not) had (special powers, summons....etc.) that you wish was in Final Fantasy VII or do you think It fine the way it is?
I think it was fine the way it was.

Everytime you play the game over again, is there something new you discover that you either forgot about or never knew that it was there?
I always forget about Ifalna. Period. I just forget she exists. ROFL ::smacks self::
OH, AND, the guy in the pipe. I forget him, and yet... <3

-Mod
shinken on March 14th, 2004 07:04 pm (UTC)
I always forget about Ifalna.

Same here... we're both guilty on that one. The whole ifalna and prof. Gast thing... considering there not mentioned 47934793 times in the game is probably why I totally forget them so much.
(Deleted comment)
Suraganlvcifer on March 14th, 2004 02:13 pm (UTC)
Re: Mucho Funno
Yesss, me and you with the pipe guy. I did the same thing; I kept going back to him. When I played the game the second time around, and I got to the pipe guy, my first thought was "SEPHIROTH CLONE???!//1/oNE//slash!?!" because the pipe guy talks weird like the clones did. wooo.

-Mod
shinken on March 14th, 2004 07:07 pm (UTC)
Yup. Most recent was the guy in the pipe. Mr 'i look so very much like a certain rolemodel of cloud', lol. That theory has some serious cred to it. Makes a lot of sense. I always used to wonder why aeris commented on him. Seems to make a little more sense now. Gosh, I remember going in that pipe numerous times thinking i could help the poor guy but never being able to, lol. Really annoyed me, i thought i was missing something.

The pipe guy..... who is that? Oh jeez, I think I totally forgot as to who he is and where he is in the game. lol
Suraganlvcifer on March 15th, 2004 03:38 am (UTC)
He's in Midgar, Sector.. 6...? (oh geez, I'm even forgetting my sectors .-.) anyway, its the place right before aerith's house.

they never really say who he is, I remember thinking that he was a seph clone.

OMG, I JUST REMEMBERED SOMETHING.F Afdfaijkmfdagra *revelation* WOW. ::posts to main journal::
shinken on March 15th, 2004 07:47 am (UTC)
Oh yeah! *smacks head* I know who that is now.
kristen: 7icemilk on March 14th, 2004 01:23 pm (UTC)
- i seem to never get sick of dressing cloud up real pretty. i also really like the lifestream scene with tifa and snowboarding.

- for some reason the corel prison really bothers me... i think it's because freaks follow you around and look like they want to buttfuck you or something.

- rufus. :D

Favourite FMV sequence?
- shiiiit. i like it all. the ending, perhaps.

- fine the way it is.

- omg, when sephiroth controls cloud right after the temple of the ancients (after cloud beats up aeris), there's a little ghost-like image of child cloud that appears and you can actually CONTROL HIM. it took me five years to realize that you could move him around and stuff! i was amazed.
Suraganlvcifer on March 14th, 2004 02:12 pm (UTC)
OMG, RUFUS. I FORGOT HOW MUCH I HAD A RUFUS FETISH AND ACTUALLY RPED HIM AND SHIT.

omg.

omg rufus. rufus was so fking sexy.

fslkjfsjfkdsjkmfadfoimfad

ok. <3 Hey, I love your icon. I don't really know whats going on in it, but its still great.

-Mod
shinken on March 14th, 2004 06:14 pm (UTC)
Its like the girl in Costa Del Sol said (the one that was laying on that plane looking thing when you first arrive): "He's rich, he's blonde, and he looks great in a double-breasted suit."

Glad I'm not the only one who's going to be like "*_______*;" at Rufus if he's in AC (which he just has to be).
shinken on March 14th, 2004 07:10 pm (UTC)
- for some reason the corel prison really bothers me... i think it's because freaks follow you around and look like they want to buttfuck you or something.

- rufus. :D

ROFLMAO @ the freaks at Corel. I've never really thought of it that way... but now if I play that part again I know I'll think of that.

there's a little ghost-like image of child cloud that appears and you can actually CONTROL HIM. it took me five years to realize that you could move him around and stuff! i was amazed.

I never even noticed that.... damn that makes me want to go back through and play that sequence just to do that one thing.

Rufus = hot
xlydiax on March 14th, 2004 01:27 pm (UTC)
This sounds like fun!

-Favourite part in the game that you could play over and over?-

Uhm, that would have to be the beginning when you're in Midgar. I have no idea why. (especially Crossdressing!Cloud)

-Least favourite part that you wish you didn't have to do? -

That would be in the mansion where Vincent is, with that stupid safe, where you had to battle that physical-magical monster. I had to wait till i was a really high level to beat that stupid thing.

-Favourite Character that was NOT in your party?-

That would have to be either Elena or Scarlet.

-Favourite FMV sequence?-

The very last one.

-If there is anything that other RPG's (FF or not) had (special powers, summons....etc.) that you wish was in Final Fantasy VII or do you think It fine the way it is?-

I think it's fine the way it is.

-Everytime you play the game over again, is there something new you discover that you either forgot about or never knew that it was there?-

Yes. But i can't think of any examples at the moment.

P.S. Mind if i yank this and post this in a FF9 community, with credit to you?
shinken on March 14th, 2004 07:12 pm (UTC)
That would be in the mansion where Vincent is, with that stupid safe, where you had to battle that physical-magical monster. I had to wait till i was a really high level to beat that stupid thing.

I'd always go over on the combonation and it took me awhile to beat him the first time I played the game.

Feel free to post it in a FF9 community. :D
darkazriel on March 14th, 2004 01:52 pm (UTC)

The crossdressing Cloud scene is very amusing... And Honeybee inn. *snerk* Also the motorcycle sequence.

Cloud's thing with Tifa in the lifestream. It goes on and on and on...

Zack. I love Zack and don't know why, exactly.

Favourite FMV sequence?

Aeris' death, Sephiroth freeing Jenova... And Cloud crashing through a plate-glass window in an immense motorbike. ^_^

I wish I could get some of FFVIII's GF ablilities- specifically Revive, Restore, Treatment, and a counter that counters everything including magic attacks.

Yes! It took me three times to realize that Cait Sith is in the Honeybee inn (Why??) and that the games in gold saucer have multiple levels. (i.e.: Snowboarding has the three difficulties, and time attack after you beat all of them.)
shinken on March 14th, 2004 07:14 pm (UTC)
It took me three times to realize that Cait Sith is in the Honeybee inn (Why??)

o_o I never noticed he was in there.... And yeah, what is he doing in there? :o
Suraganlvcifer on March 15th, 2004 03:39 am (UTC)
Is he the one talking to Heideggar? Or like.. am I going crazy and was Heideggar not even in the Honey Bee Inn? In that room... where you look through the keyhole...
shinken on March 15th, 2004 07:46 am (UTC)
I know Pres. Shinra was in the honeybee inn.... but damn, I can't remember if Heidegger was or not... I want to say that he was there. :o
shinra_turk on March 29th, 2004 12:31 pm (UTC)
Cait Sith = Reeve of Urban Development. If you listene to the conversation going on in the room w/ the Cait in it you'll find that the two people are Reeve's parents.
Life's Bonus Stagelifeinreview on March 14th, 2004 02:05 pm (UTC)
Finally - something that won't lead to a horrid debate... let's keep our fingers crossed! Here goes:

The last sequence/dungeon: "the Great Northern Cave." It brings back the fondest memories. You see, when I play any RPG the first time through, I always rush through it to get the basics of the story, which is always a test of my ability, so I'm getting a couple good experiences in. Final Fantasy VII, however, wouldn't allow for that. I entered the Crater with just about lvl29 or so on my party average, but with all great equipment and decent Materia collection. The last dungeon was the biggest challenge for me in the game on my first time through and is my favorite part, because I always remember how I felt when I finally completed it.

Some of the methods of attaining the Ultimate Weapons were rather painstaking. I could go without them. Also, the "deep past" categories of Barret at North Corel. I could have seriously gone without the deal with him. I have nothing against Barret, but he was never a really deep character, in my eyes, and he could have been fine without having to suddenly give him depth.

Tseng always got my vote. Does everyone forget that he was the first of the major/minor cast members to die? Everyone forgets him because Aeris dies shortly after, but he went in much the same manner. I really liked the way Tseng was so damn professional and concise about his work.

Favourite FMV sequence?

You know, there's two that stick out in my mind: the first, because I find it hilarious - the sequence in which the Weapons come out of the Earth. Tifa's fall had to have been the most gratuitous breast animation ever since Dead or Alive came out a short while before it. That gets me laughing... almost as much as the person who grabs her first. None other than Barret, of course!
On a serious note, though, I'd have to say Aeris' Death was possibly the most powerful FMV sequence in any game, period. It was very simple, very to the point, and very emotionally powerful. This FMV rocked the gaming world, and there's no doubt about that in my mind at all. That also holds true for me; it changed the way I hold characterization, because before... I never really cared, attached myself to any games I played. From that moment on, all that changed. Sephiroth's ass was mine.

You know, as much as I loved the Materia system for its simplicity, the only thing that would have made that game better would have been to include a Job System. I swear, that is Square's biggest ace in the hole, and if they could include it in the game somehow [not in the Dressphere way as many of you might think], that would kick an unbelievable amount of ass.
Also, I would have liked to have seen more Moogles.
One more thing, before I get on a ramble, here, is that if Aeris leveled up a lot quicker than the rest. You do know that she's an Ancient, or Cetran, and she's the only one left, and only lives for one disc, so why not make her "special" in the EXP area, and let her level up quicker so we can make better use of her! I bet it'd help a lot more people get attached to her, too.

The one thing that I keep forgetting about is the letter Hojo leaves in Tifa's house in the "New Nibelheim". It always grabs me when I find out from a source outside of the party that the entire thing was a hoax.
Another things I keep forgetting about when I play... well... is Cait Sith. I really never, ever use him. It's not that I don't like him... I just never get around to it! XD

There ya go. Hope you liked it!
shinken on March 14th, 2004 06:11 pm (UTC)
Tseng always got my vote. Does everyone forget that he was the first of the major/minor cast members to die? Everyone forgets him because Aeris dies shortly after, but he went in much the same manner. I really liked the way Tseng was so damn professional and concise about his work.

I liked Tseng, and I remembered that he died. He always seemed very cool and smart, and one of my favourite lines was when Elena was going on and on about Junon and he says "Elena.... You talk too much."

You know, there's two that stick out in my mind: the first, because I find it hilarious - the sequence in which the Weapons come out of the Earth. Tifa's fall had to have been the most gratuitous breast animation ever since Dead or Alive came out a short while before it. That gets me laughing... almost as much as the person who grabs her first. None other than Barret, of course!

I always thought I was the only one who noticed that! And the ending movie, when she lifts herself up with Cloud, of course Its her breasts holding her up so she can get the rest of herself up there. My friend and I just shook our heads and laughed at that one thinking.. "Oh Square....."

One more thing, before I get on a ramble, here, is that if Aeris leveled up a lot quicker than the rest. You do know that she's an Ancient, or Cetran, and she's the only one left, and only lives for one disc, so why not make her "special" in the EXP area, and let her level up quicker so we can make better use of her! I bet it'd help a lot more people get attached to her, too.

Another things I keep forgetting about when I play... well... is Cait Sith. I really never, ever use him. It's not that I don't like him... I just never get around to it! XD

I am guilty as charged on that one. XD

Hmm... I'd have to agree with you on that one.
Flyckertubaplayerjk on March 14th, 2004 03:24 pm (UTC)

hmmm, thats a toughy. I guess i would have to say the raid on Midgar, for some reason I liked this even though I hate Midgar.

If I ever have to deal with chocobos again, I think I'll have to shoot myself

hmmm...Well they kind of are in your party but then they all die, of Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse can't remember which one it was but not the girl, not the fat one

Favourite FMV sequence?

hard to say, probably the one where your in the crater for the first time and you give the black materia to sephiroth and then the Wepons pop out, and all that good stuff

Can't think of one at the moment

everytime I get the secret characters, and for some reason I always forget about Yuffie stealing your materia
shinken on March 14th, 2004 07:21 pm (UTC)
If I ever have to deal with chocobos again, I think I'll have to shoot myself

I hear ya on that one, I stopped playing the game for awhile not too long ago because I was getting so frustrated at the fact that every chocobo I caught over in the glacier area wasn't a wonderful one.

hmmm...Well they kind of are in your party but then they all die, of Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse can't remember which one it was but not the girl, not the fat one

I'm pretty sure it was Biggs, since Jessie was the girl and Wedge was the fat one. I hope that's right.
SIR LORD BARON VON VADERHAM: Advent Children/BARRET!!metalsyko on March 14th, 2004 08:23 pm (UTC)
Hrm... Cosmo Canyon. The music is so fecking CATCHY! ^^;

Cloud's flashbacks at Kalm (although I do enjoy the part in the reactor with Cloud and Sephiroth), and the bit at the Lifestream with Tifa. ..I'm sorry... all the girls in this game annoy me. ;_;

Bugenhagen!

Favourite FMV sequence?
Aerith-shishkebab! XD I'm mean, I know. That and the scene of Cloud handing over the Black Materia to Sephiroth, and the ensuing escape of the Weapons at North Crater.

Hmmm... I think it's pretty good the way it is. Although I kinda liked the Item Synthesis from FFIX. It was a neat concept.

Every time I play it, I always forget about the Wutai sortof sidequest. -_-
vt_skorpiovt_skorpio on March 16th, 2004 04:51 pm (UTC)
Weapon attack on Junon, escaping death penalty, and the greatest thing about this scene being my favorite is...None of my favourite characters are in it!I absolutely hate Cait Sith and Barrett, I don't really like Yuffie, and Tifa...Tifa kicks ass but is not one of my favourite characters.
Music, FMVs in that scene are awesome, with the Shinra grunts shooting and all. And Yuffie's disguise rocks. I kept a save game apart from the rest just for this one scene.

From the Temple of Ancients to fighting Jenova Life at the end of CD1. It's just so long and boring, and quite frankly, the only parts of the game without "nonstop action". The huge door was a cool boss, though.

All 3 "fightable" turks. Reno had some real attitude, Rude was a badass, and Elena was...a turk. Never knew why I liked her, but I like her.

Favourite FMV sequence?
Sister Ray being moved to Midgar, shooting the Diamond Weapon, and Rufus getting his ass roasted in his comfy little tower.

Uh....graphics and better quality music?(Don't change the songs, just change the way they sound!)
Hmm seriously...I think Chrono Trigger's double and triple techs kicked ass. They shouldn't be as easy to do as they were in that game, with the materia system and all, but I think being able to hit Double or Triple Limit Breaks after reaching a certain level or by equipping a specific materia to some characters would totally own.

Think Omnislash/Cosmo Memory/Chaos(the magic attack with the skull). Ouch. Would make the game waayyy too easy, though.