trying to be perfect in this fake world (mysticalbliss) wrote in _world_issues,
trying to be perfect in this fake world
mysticalbliss
_world_issues

• Music:

supreme court ruling...

...a major victory for human rights. 

Linda Greenhouse has always done superb work as Supreme Court correspondent for the Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/30/washington/30hamdan.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print

I can't believe this decision, a simple one of human rights, was so close...that bothers me a great deal. 5-3 decision, the Chief Justice had to sit this one out because (haha) last year he ruled for the Bush adminstration in a hearing on Gitmo detainees.

"The ruling marked the most significant setback yet for the administration's broad expansions of presidential power. "

How do you like, Mr. President? You can't change the Constitution. But then, you can't really trample on people's rights either, that ahsn't stopped him...fear is just that powerful a weapon. A marriage between fear and the media leads to terrible things. Can't be sad though, this ruling is just amazing! Which brings me to this:

"The decision was such a sweeping and categorical defeat for the administration that it left human rights lawyers who have pressed this and other cases on behalf of Guantánamo detainees almost speechless with surprise and delight, using words like "fantastic," "amazing" and "remarkable."

Great. All the human rights activists sound like Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes.

"The majority opinion was joined by Justices David H. Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen G. Breyer, who wrote a concurring opinion focusing on the role of Congress. "

Justice Ginsburg went to my grade school and high school! =) I am SO cool! haha

"The dissenters were Justices Clarence Thomas, Antonin Scalia and Samuel A. Alito Jr. Each wrote a dissenting opinion. "

Scalia is conservative. Big shock. Thomas is his lapdog, so you can always expect them to vote together. [Damnit Thomas, get your own opinion.] Alito...I'm not surpised. I disliked him from the beginning. I did think Roberts was a better person, though.

"In the courtroom on Thursday, the chief justice sat silently in his center chair as Justice Stevens, sitting to his immediate right as the senior associate justice, read from the majority opinion. It made for a striking tableau on the final day of the first term of the Roberts court: the young chief justice, observing his work of just a year earlier taken apart point by point by the tenacious 86-year-old Justice Stevens, winner of a Bronze Star for his service as a Navy officer in World War II. "

How true. And I love how Linda Greenhouse writes...

So yeah...that's just my brief summary and commentary on what I think is an 'amazing' ruling, and one very much needed, too.

x-posted
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

Comments allowed for members only

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic

Your IP address will be recorded 

• 0 comments