?

No account? Create an account

back after knee surgery

About An Interactive Self Improvement

Previous Entry back after knee surgery Jan. 18th, 2010 @ 11:38 am Next Entry
I had surgery on my right knee last month, and I've been told that I need to build up muscle in my thigh to try and improve the condition of my knee.
I'm a kickboxer and have been given permission to return to my dojo. While I'm not allowed to fight yet (and unable to do most of the kicks, steps etc.), I'm allowed to do some sort of exercise. However, this is not enough, and I'm trying to put together a workout plan for myself which targets the thigh muscles while keeping the pressure off my knee. I had a lateral release, and still have to regain quite a bit of flexibility in that knee. Exercises need to be low impact but highly efficient, and I'm not really sure I know what I'm supposed to be doing. My doctors have told me that it's all up to me now, and I don't seem to qualify for a referral to a physiotherapist. I cannot afford to pay for one, either, but I know I have to do something.

Can anybody help?

I'm also back on Weight Watchers after gaining some weight due to the fact that I haven't been able to do as much as I usually do. I'm aiming to lose around 5 kg (I weigh 62 kg right now, and I'm 1,62 m tall).
Leave a comment
[User Picture Icon]
Date:January 19th, 2010 02:55 am (UTC)
(Link)
It's probably safest to stick with low impact exercises. Elipticals, biking, and swimming are all going to be your best bets. The bike and eliptical would be really good for you if you're really trying to focus on the thigh muscles.
You could try machines to ease the strain of general leg exercises like squats, but I would avoid the isolation machines such as leg extension and the like. The way they are designed actually puts pretty high pressure on your knee joints and ligaments, and they're really only best used at very low weights for a limited time because of physical therapy type purposes.
While avoiding twisting in the healing process is really important, is there any way you can "tai chi" the moves you already know? Practice them slowly, focusing on breathing and form, and for the moment foregoing speed and strength? Ultimatly the best way to get in shape for what you want to do is to DO whatever that is, and perhaps that would be a way to keep that muscle memory sharp.
(Leave a comment)
Top of Page Powered by LiveJournal.com