[Tags|]
[Current Mood |creative]
[Current Music |GLASS SKIN - Dir en grey]

How to go from to

Program: Adobe Photoshop CS2
Difficulty: easy
Translatable: yes
Steps: 14

It's been a while since I wrote a tutorial, and while playing with Photoshop earlier tonight, I realized how I missed icon tutorials that use a bunch of textures instead of selective color play. So after making the icon, I decided to write a tutorial for it. It's pretty easy, and it's suitable for beginners as well as advanced users ^^

1. Crop your image to 100x100 pixels, sharpen it once.

2. Duplicate (ctrl+J) your base and desaturate it (ctrl+U) and set the blending mode to Soft Light at 100% opacity.

3. Duplicate (ctrl+J) the desaturated layer and set the blending mode to Screen at 20% opacity.

4. Grab the texture shown below and rotate it 180 degrees. To rotate the layer, press ctrl+T and then right-click on the image and choose Rotate 180˚, and then press ENTER. Set the blending mode to Screen at 53% opacity. And then using the eraser tool , erase any unwanted parts of the texture.

by iconxraven @ DA.

5. Take the next texture and set the blending mode to Screen at 100% opacity. Again, erase the unwanted parts.

by iconxraven @ DA.

6. Next texture! Set the blending mode to Screen at 100% opacity. And then flip it horizontally (or depending on how it would fit on the image you're using). To flip the layer, press ctrl+T and then right-click on the image and choose Flip Horizontal. Again, erase the unwanted parts.

by iconxraven @ DA.

7. More texture! Set the blending mode to Screen at 100% opacity. And then flip it horizontally. This time no parts to erase! yay!

by iconxraven @ DA.

8. Now, duplicate your base and drag it aaaaall the way to the top of all the other layers, and desaturate it. Then set the blending mode to Soft Light at 100% opacity.

9. And yet another texture! Set the blending mode to Screen at 100% opacity. And then flip it horizontally.

by iconxraven @ DA.

10. Grab the next texture, set the blending mode to Soft Light at 100% opacity. It's going to look a hell lot darker, but don't worry, we need it to keep some warmth in the icon.

by iconxraven @ DA.

11. Duplicate your base again, and drag it aaaaall the way to the top of all the other layers. Set the blending mode to Screen at 100% opacity.

12. Take another texture, and simply set the blending mode to Screen at 100% opacity.

by fatal_complexes at xsakitjiwax

13. One more texture (it's the last one, I promise), set the blending mode to Screen at 100% opacity. Erase the unwanted parts, and move the star to where you want it to be.
In order to move the layer around, grab the move tool and click and hold your mouse on the layer and start dragging it around until you find the best placement for it.

by fatal_complexes at xsakitjiwax

14. Duplicate your base again, and drag it all the way to the top, set the blending mode to Soft Light at 100% opacity.

And you're done!

+ I always like to provide a screen cap of my layer palette, and here's the one for this tutorial ^^

Note: the steps I provided above are not written on stone. You can (and should) play around with the layers and textures to make them suit your icon best. And remember: photoshop likes playing around xD

Happy iconing!
LinkReply

Comments:
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]From: scwolf_10k
2009-04-26 01:38 am (UTC)
Thank you! ^^
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: plastic_robots
2009-06-22 04:27 pm (UTC)
thankyou :) i tried this on my icon and it looked real pretty. but i don't really get what u mean when you say erase all the unwanted parts. erase the unwanted parts on the texture, not on the base right?
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: scwolf_10k
2009-06-22 05:04 pm (UTC)
thanks for your comment! I'm glad that you liked the tutorial :D
and yes, I mean erase the unwanted parts on the texture ^^
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)