||[Nov. 3rd, 2007|04:32 am]
How to go from THIS to
I liked how this icon's final look was, and I had a lot of free time (as usual :P) so I decided to put it into a tutorial 8D
You'll need: Photoshop (version doesn't matter AT ALL in this tut, and it's also possible to make in PSP), a screencap (obviously >_>) and make sure it has a blank background (preferred, but not necessary. It's always best to play around and see what happens to your icon by the end ^_^)
1. Crop your base to 100x100px. Sharpen once.
2. Duplicate, set that layer to Soft Light at 100% opacity.
3. Add a light texture and set it to Overlay 100%
4. Type your text (color: black; #000000), set that layer to Soft Light 100%.
5. Duplicate your text layer twice. Set those to Soft Light 100% as well. (actually, since you've already had the first text layer set to Soft Light, the duplicated ones are going to be the same XD)
6. Duplicate your text layer again (choose the one on the top) and set it to Normal 20% opacity.
7. Add another light texture and set it to Multiply 100%
8. Add a border Color: black; #000000, size: 2px
Voila! Your icon is ready ^_^
And for reference, here's the layer palette after the work is done:
Credit: Textures used in this icon are from colorfilter's light texture set03.