In the process of making my CoS icon batch, I accidentally got this result, and loved it. So I thought I'd share the process. (And I'm not done with them yet. It's gonna ba HUGE batch of icons.)
I used Photoshop CS2, but this can be translated into older versions and PSP as well.
I'm not including previews of the process because as a tutorial, it should serve you as a guide, and it's easy, so you won't have any problems with a photo of your choice. ^_^
1. Choose a pic, crop to 100x100px, sharpen once (or twice, depending on the resolution of your pic).
2.Duplicate the base, set it to Soft Light, 100% opacity.
3. Duplicate the base again, bring it to top, desaturate (ctrl+shift+U) and set it to screen, 100% opacity.
4. Create a new layer and add this gradient (or one of your own):
gradient made by me
and set it to Overlay, 100%
5. Create a new layer and add a border brush in #FFFFFF. I used a combination of two brushes, tweaked them a bit and got this result:
original brushes used in the creation of this one are from inxsomniax
6. Pick up the text tool and type any text of your liking. I wrote 'GRANGER' (I know, very creative </sarcasm>) with the following settings:
Size: 12pt (Small Caps)
To get the Small Caps, go to Window >> Character and click on the TT icon.
And viola! Your icon is ready.
Easy, right? I'd love to see what you can come up with. Any additional tweaks would be a plus, and I'd LOVE to see your results!!