Lady Sheherazahde Lachesis (sheherazahde) wrote in _wicca_,
Lady Sheherazahde Lachesis
sheherazahde
_wicca_

Wiccan and Pagan Event, Christian Unity, Fundamentalist Polygamy

Lifetree Cafe to highlight Wicca, Pagans at event
The Fort Collins Coloradoan, January 29, 2010
"The appeal of Wicca and Paganism will be explored at 7 p.m. Sunday and noon and 7 p.m. Tuesday at Lifetree Cafe.

The program includes filmed interviews with Pagans and a Wicca woman who describes her journey into spell casting.

"People are intrigued with Wicca and witchcraft," said Craig Cable, Lifetree Cafe representative. "But there's a lot of misinformation floating around. We'll hear from people who know the facts - and discover what the appeal is of Wicca and Paganism. Might you have a witch living next door? We'll find out."

Admission to the hour-long event is free. Snacks and beverages are available.

Lifetree Cafe is at 1515 Cascade Ave. in the Group Publishing building.

For more information, call (970) 292-4697."
-----------------------
Full Text of Archbishop Hepworths Letter
Catholic Online, 1/29/2010
"Europe, and the world that Europe colonized, has been shaped in its languages, its politics, its law, as well as its religion, in large part by those animosities. The identity and culture of people and nations have been significantly shaped by religious conflict and division.
The healing of religious division has been one of the most welcome features of 20th century Christianity.
[...]
At the same time, Christians in Europe and in the Third World began to experience the challenges of a militant and fundamentalist Islam. Confrontation and persecution began afresh. In Europe and the developed world, a renewed interest in pagan and humanist philosophy, combined with a diminished sense of identity of Christians with their churches led to a dramatic diminishing of religious practice and belief."
-----------------------
Hey! Don't go mixing up my neo-paganism with your fundamentalist monotheism! This "mental burqa" problem is all yours.
The Mental Burqa: National Geographic and Every Woman's Right to Be a Slave
by Jeanette Pryor, David Horowitz's NewsReal Blog (blog), 2010 January 29 ‎
"Today, the radicalized branches of most organized religions promote the “Mental Burqa,” an extremist, neo-pagan concept of the woman and her social significance. This vision considers women, not as an individuals with autonomous significance or unique potential for contribution to society due to their specific talents and aptitudes. They are seen, rather, as contingent, interchangeable, biological functionaries, mindless generatives. They are feared as potential intruders in the “domain of men,” as sexual distractions and, in cases of “aberration,” as superior intellects threatening man’s right to governance.

The Evangelical patriarchy movement, many Traditionalist Catholics, the radicalized Muslims, the Ultra Orthodox Jews, and the Fundamentalist Mormons are all weaving the “Mental Burqa.” Pretending to counter Feminism, it is this error’s mirror version of the Marxist construct of gender struggle."

Pryor is upset about this National Geographic article, which she quotes out of context. I found the article very balanced.
The Polygamists
By Scott Anderson, February 2010
"Yet Melinda's defense of Jeffs underscores one of the most curious aspects of the polygamous faith: the central role of women in defending it. This is not new. In Brigham Young's day a charity rushed to Utah to establish a safe house for polygamous women seeking to escape this "white slavery"; that house sat virtually empty. Today FLDS women in the Hildale–Colorado City area have ample opportunity to "escape"—they have cell phones, they drive cars, there are no armed guards keeping them in—yet they don't.

Undoubtedly one reason is that, having been raised in this culture, they know little else. Walking away means leaving behind everything: the community, one's sense of security, even one's own family. Carolyn Jessop, the plural wife of Merril Jessop who did leave the FLDS, likens entering the outside world to "stepping out onto another planet. I was completely unprepared, because I had absolutely no life skills. Most women in the FLDS don't even know how to balance a checkbook, let alone apply for a job, so contemplating how you're going to navigate in the outside world is extremely daunting."

It would seem there's another lure for women to stay: power. The FLDS women I spoke with tended to be far more articulate and confident than the men, most of whom seemed paralyzed by bashfulness. It makes sense when one begins to grasp that women are coveted to "multiply and replenish the earth," while men are in extraordinary competition to be deemed worthy of marriage by the prophet. One way to be deemed worthy, of course, is to not rock the boat, to keep a low profile. As a result, what has all the trappings of a patriarchal culture, actually has many elements of a matriarchal one.

There are limits to that power, of course, for it is subject to the dictates of the prophet. After hearing Melinda's stout defense of Jeffs, I ask what she would do if she were reassigned.

"I'm confident that wouldn't happen," she replies uneasily.

"But what if it did?" I ask. "Would you obey?"

For the only time during our interview, Melinda grows wary. Sitting back in her chair, she gives her head a quarter turn to stare at me out of the corner of one eye."
-----------------------
Tags: christianity, event, feminism, polygamy, wicca
Subscribe

• Wicca and Christianity.....

Today's discussion topic is about Wicca/Paganism and Christianity and my thoughts on both. Though Christianity, Wicca and Paganism are all very…

• Dear Grammy and Pop-Pop.

Dear Grammy (Grandmother) and Pop-Pop (Grandfather), You have both taught me so much. You both taught me to have great respect for all life on…

• What Wicca and Paganism mean to me.

What do Wicca and Paganism mean to me? To me, Paganism is the worship of the many Old World Gods and Goddesses, such as Egyptian or Greek Gods and…

• Post a new comment

Error

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic

Your IP address will be recorded 

• 2 comments