hekidanjo (hekidanjo) wrote in _weightwatchers,
hekidanjo
hekidanjo
_weightwatchers

Lessons from The Biggest Loser

My wife and I watched the latest episode of The Biggest Loser last night and it was great to see some very common lessons so clearly demonstrated this deep into the game. I know a lot of people in the weight loss community slag all over The Biggest Loser because they disagree with the methodology. That's fine but the show is more than worth watching just for the life lessons that are a lot easier to absorb when you aren't the one caught up in it.

First and utterly unrelated to that... Michael's idea for turkey and chickpea meatballs has me wondering what a turkey/butternut/sage meatball would taste like. I'm going to find out.

<SPOILERS! If you watch the show but have not seen the most recent one, GO NO FURTHER.>
The two people who fell below the yellow line each demonstrated classic pitfalls of trying to lose weight. Daris, never did get his mind right. He has an amazing work ethic but he always did deflect the more pointed questions about his motivations and overall dedication to the process. Without having his mind right, his eating failures turned into the classic spiral of shame and denial. Daris, not given to introspection never had that epiphany that he needed to not only re-learn his way of thinking but also his ways of feeling.

Koli showed us what happens when you start focusing on something other than yourself as a motivation and a reason behind your drive and commitment. At the beginning of the previous episode he stopped working to be the best he could possibly be and starting working for $250,000. Not that there is anything wrong with wanting paid...I like money but that's not a good reason to lose weight. Once you start playing a game the game becomes the priority. You start tweaking, overthinking and "chasing the needle" and it never helps. There is also an emotional component that must fuel a personal transformation. and that fuel must come from within to be able to sustain you. Koli went external and he paid for it.

The marathon was interesting if for only seeing some former contestants return. Each and every one of them had gained some of the weight back. This just underscores the truth that for anyone who loses weight, it is a constant, life long struggle. If you want to keep the weight off and stay healthy, you must always remain vigilant and keep pushing yourself... cuz the green machine of season 7 (Tara Costa) just keeps looking better each time I see her.

It will be interesting to see who wins and who manages to keep the weight off but as always, I watch it to reflect and learn so that I know one person who WILL win and WILL keep the weight off...ME. (xposted to my personal journal as well) 
Subscribe

• New!

Name: Jenna Age: 32 Height: 5'7" SW (starting weight): 267 CW (current weight): 264 GW (goal weight): 150 Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this…

• First week!

I have done weight watchers in the past with success, but difficult life circumstances and using food as comfort have led me to start again. This was…

• how did they know i would come back?

I started Weight Watchers in September 2011. I jumped out of Weight Watchers in October 2012. I lost what I wanted, but I joined a new YMCA and…

• Post a new comment

Error

Comments allowed for members only

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic
  • 17 comments

• New!

Name: Jenna Age: 32 Height: 5'7" SW (starting weight): 267 CW (current weight): 264 GW (goal weight): 150 Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this…

• First week!

I have done weight watchers in the past with success, but difficult life circumstances and using food as comfort have led me to start again. This was…

• how did they know i would come back?

I started Weight Watchers in September 2011. I jumped out of Weight Watchers in October 2012. I lost what I wanted, but I joined a new YMCA and…