The Urban Quilter (urban_quilter) wrote in _weightwatchers,
The Urban Quilter
urban_quilter
_weightwatchers

Discretionary 35 - to use or not to use?

I had a mini-breakthrough earlier this week.

On Tuesday, March 30, my 10% goal was so close I could taste it. At 205, (18 pounds lost), 22.3 pounds was only (I thought) a week or two away.

I like to use about ten of my discretionary points per week, just to mix it up - and because I'm always extra-careful on Sunday and Monday (weigh-in day is Monday) I generally use some of those extra points on Tuesday.

- On Tuesday, I had plus 4 points. I used a couple of my regular points plus some of the discretionary, to indulge in some ice cream. Deeeee-licious.

That would have been fine, under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have felt the least bit guilty.

- On Wednesday the 31st, I ate well for the most part - for a treat I had a teaspoon of peanut butter on my chocolate curves bar - but I was only one point over for the day.

- On Thursday, Apr 1, it was a friend's birthday, and I had a slice of cake, putting me 10 over for the day.

- On Friday April 2 I knew I had had enough treats and it was time to get back on track. I was scrupulous in what I ate all day, even tracking a bit under, and that evening when I went out with friends for dinner, my plan was to have a steak dinner - eat a deck of card-sized portion with my steamed vegetable side, a 67 calorie beer and call it good.

But instead, I had pizza. Which put me 8 points over for the day.

In just four days, I had eaten 23 of my extra points. I wasn't too worried, that's what discretionary points are for after all, so I just got back on track, kept to my points on Saturday and Sunday and didn't worry about it.

on my weigh in day, Monday, April 5, I weighed 208 pounds.

Now before you come in and talk about water weight and differences in clothing - I track everything. EVERYTHING. Including how much liquid I drink. Everything was the same, and I wear the same dress for every weigh-in.

My conclusion:

It wasn't that I had used 23 of my discretionary points that was the problem. It was that I had used 23 of my discretionary points for useless sugar and fat filled foods. I know this, because I have had one other week where I used 19 discretionary points - and I lost my (so far) standard 2 pounds that week.

I didn't beat myself up over it, although I definitely gave my head a shake - I just got back on track, stuck to my points, and stepped up my activity.

I'm happy to say that two weeks later, I'm once again on track to my ten percent goal, and am now only .3 pounds away from that goal. I'll definitely reach it by this coming Monday's weigh in.

I lost two weeks. Not because I used my discretionary points, but because I wasted my discretionary points on crappy food.

- I will - in fact I had a 1/2 cup of ice cream yesterday. I knew from the outset that I wasn't going to live the rest of my life eating no-fat food and light butter. I don't like chemicals in food, and studies have shown that many "light" and "no-fat" foods have chemicals in them that inhibit your body from accessing and storing fat (good, I suppose) but also from accessing and storing nutrients, very, very bad. In addition, I just don't want to live my life that way.

I want to live normally, eat healthful, tasty food, and learn how to negotiate a good (and good for me) sustainable life.

So, "yes" to occasional, guilt-free treats. NO, NO, NO to a steady diet of them, even if they're within my points.

So, that's what I learned. I know that was long, and if you read along this far, thanks! I hope you learned something from my poor example too! :)

ETA: It took me TWO FREAKING WEEKS to lose the four pounds and everyone is completely convinced it was WATER WEIGHT?

I am fat because I ate fat and sugar filled foods that were full of empty calories. Not because I retained enough water to fill Lake Superior.

I have taken steps to change that - and I have lost 23 pounds of fat in two months, not 23 pounds of WATER.

And when I gained 4 pounds three weeks ago, after "co-incidentally" eating fatty and high sugar foods, I didn't (also co-incidentally) gain four pounds of water. I gained four pounds of FAT that it took me two weeks of eating carefully and exercising to lose just like the other 18 pounds of fat I lost.

The end.
Subscribe

• New!

Name: Jenna Age: 32 Height: 5'7" SW (starting weight): 267 CW (current weight): 264 GW (goal weight): 150 Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this…

• First week!

I have done weight watchers in the past with success, but difficult life circumstances and using food as comfort have led me to start again. This was…

• how did they know i would come back?

I started Weight Watchers in September 2011. I jumped out of Weight Watchers in October 2012. I lost what I wanted, but I joined a new YMCA and…

• Post a new comment

Error

Comments allowed for members only

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic
  • 14 comments

• New!

Name: Jenna Age: 32 Height: 5'7" SW (starting weight): 267 CW (current weight): 264 GW (goal weight): 150 Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this…

• First week!

I have done weight watchers in the past with success, but difficult life circumstances and using food as comfort have led me to start again. This was…

• how did they know i would come back?

I started Weight Watchers in September 2011. I jumped out of Weight Watchers in October 2012. I lost what I wanted, but I joined a new YMCA and…