katchoo_granger (katchoo_granger) wrote in _weightwatchers,
katchoo_granger
katchoo_granger
_weightwatchers

Soup and chutney

So, upon reading Nigella Bites by Nigella Lawson, I found that a lot of her things are very core friendly.

stuff you need
1 small acorn squash
1 can onion soup
1 carton of broth (chicken or veggie depending on preference and if you're a vegetarian)
1 can chick peas (or another bean of choice -- I think the pale/white beans work best with this one)
1 chicken sausage (the "hot dog" size -- but can be eliminated and replaced with tofu for non-meat people)
5 or 6 cut up baby tomatoes 

2 oz of noodles/pasta of any kind (I mixed 1 oz reg pasta and 1 oz whole wheat pasta)
1 stock/soup pot with lid.

I JUST ADDED CHUTNEY TO THIS. It is great. I found the chutney recipe in Nigella Bites by Nigella Lawson. My version was slightly different (more mint, instead of coconut milk, I used vanilla soymilk)

3 jalapeno peppers (seeded and chopped up)
1 inch piece of ginger (peeled, chopped)
4 garlic cloves
1/3 cup soymilk
1 large bunch of cillantro
6 mint sprigs
pinch of salt (NL says 1/2 teaspoon)
pinch of sugar 
juice of three limes (or in my case, three huge squeezes of the lime juice bottle)

Throw everything but the lime juice into the food processor or blender. Once everything is all green and lovely and mixed in, put in the lime juice. NL says that it will solidify in the fridge and that it is good for a month - and that every time you take it out, re-add some lime juice.

And I dumped about 6 good sized tablespoons of it into the soup...and not only did it give the soup a nice Kermit color, but it kicked the soup into another level.

;-)
Tags: recipes
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

Comments allowed for members only

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic
  • 0 comments