December 30th, 2010

Running

Book recommendation: "no need for speed"

I was given this book as a Christmas gift and I can only say that I wish it had been a gift last year when I started getting more active.

The book is as the subtitle says; "A beginner's guide to the joy of running" but a lot of what you learn there applies across the board to the "adult onset athlete." You will find only one (very minimal) training schedule, no specific eating plans and very few uses of absolutes. The whole gist of the book is learning to take a sensible approach to eating and fitness. This isn't a book for those looking to go couch to 5k or get a better time in their next marathon. It's a book for out of shape people to find a way to make fitness a part of their lives for the rest of their lives.

Admittedly, running is the reason for the book but a practical book on living with our limitations, learning to celebrate our triumphs and learning to set OUR goals has value to anyone wanting to be more active for the rest of their life.
  • lys0119

new program

i am very lucky to have a WW consultant who works as a therapist full time at my work and does the WW part time.  She holds mini meetings at work weekly ect..  so next tuesday she is coming in and going over the new plan with us.  im a little nervous,  the old way worked great when i stuck to it.  on the old plan i could only have 20 points a day and i never used my weekly allowance.  if i did it would be from my occasional bud lite on the weekend.  any tips or suggestions from anyone on the new program.  i did go out and buy the new cookbook they have for the new system,  i havent even opened it yet to take a look.