May 28th, 2010

Running

Enjoy every sandwich

During his final appearance on Late Night With David Letterman, Warren Zevon was dying of lung cancer and Dave asked "From your perspective now, do you know something about life and death that maybe I don't know?" Warren reflected for a moment and replied "Not unless I know how much you're supposed to enjoy every sandwich."

This is relevant since one of the tougher things to do beyond staying motivated is keeping a proper perspective as you go about losing the weight, getting fit and changing your life forever. It's hard work, VERY hard work and it's unrelenting and some days it takes just so much mental energy just to commit to doing it that we forget not only to notice the rewards thus far but the very small moments of delight that make it a lot easier to eat the veggies and move those shoes down the road. Let me share a very small moment I had recently that I could have missed.

Running in the heat earlier this week I found myself stopped by pain...not the usual pain, sweat in my eyes burned (WOW did it burn) so I decided that I needed some kind of headband. I mentioned to my wife that I used to simply used a military issue triangular bandage (they are big green and cotton). She realized that she still had one. So I rolled it up, tied it on and out we went. As we ran along I glanced to the side and noticed that my shadow on the ground was a silhouette I'd not seen in years. It's not exactly right yet but it was close enough to be incredibly encouraging. It was the first time running since it has gotten warm that I wasn't looking forward to the shady spots.