May 19th, 2010

Running

Lessons from The Biggest Loser

My wife and I watched the latest episode of The Biggest Loser last night and it was great to see some very common lessons so clearly demonstrated this deep into the game. I know a lot of people in the weight loss community slag all over The Biggest Loser because they disagree with the methodology. That's fine but the show is more than worth watching just for the life lessons that are a lot easier to absorb when you aren't the one caught up in it.

First and utterly unrelated to that... Michael's idea for turkey and chickpea meatballs has me wondering what a turkey/butternut/sage meatball would taste like. I'm going to find out.

<SPOILERS! If you watch the show but have not seen the most recent one, GO NO FURTHER.>
Collapse )
Running

Don't you wish your grillfriend was hot like me?

With no apologies whatsoever to the Pussycat Dolls :-)

Today is a "rest day" in regards to exercise so that meant we had a lot of running and chores to deal with. By the time we got home we were both HUNGRY. A quick scan of the kitchen turned up a lot of possibilities for dinner but fajitas seemed like the shortest route. I got some salt, pepper, garlic and lime juice working on a piece of trimmed up skirt steak then I fired up the grill. A few rough chops to a couple of peppers and an onion flattened them out for cooking. I drizzled them with a little olive oil and some salt and tossed the whole thing on the now hot grill. Some quick post cooking knife work and some very nice corn tortillas and dinner was served in about 20 minutes from a cold start.

Making time to cook involves clean flavors, smart use of technique, having the materials on hand and not giving up just because you are tired.