May 8th, 2010

lily pic

Helpful ideas needed!

My aunt is my weight watcher's buddy.  This is her third go-round on the program, and she has had the most fabulous attitude, and is 2 lbs from her 50 lb mark.  She started losing before starting back officially on the program with me, to help motivate me, so she won't get the 50 lb disc yet, but still, she's doing terrific!  Yesterday her doctor told her she almost positively has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and she has to go on steroids.  She is terrified. Not, as you might think, and as she would have every right to, because of the pain she has in store for her future. She is terrified that the steroids will do what they have in the past and mess with her motivation.  She has become very cranky, and negative, and ravenously hungry every time she has had to take steroids in the past.  She has asked me to help her figure out how to stop herself from binge eating out of constant hunger, and how to help keep her positive attitude and motivation this time around.  The past two times she was on program, she quit after starting on steroids.  I know veggies and lean proteins are the keys to lasting fullness normally. but does anyone have any ideas other than that and lots of water?  She does drink a lot of water now, and lately she has not wanted to eat meat at all, it just hasn't sounded good.  It might change when she is constantly hungry, though.  We also need ideas for shorter bursts of activity and exercise that won't put too much stress on her sore joints. She is not very flush financially, but she is considering a gym  membership to be able to swim.
One last thing if you don't mind.  My aunt's name is Joanne, and if you believe in prayer, could you send one up for her, please?  Thanks in advance for your ideas!
  • Current Mood
    distressed distressed
lily pic

food find

I am an ice cream nut.  One of my two biggest weaknesses, food wise, and I wont tell you the other one, because I haven't found a really good alternative there.  I did, however, discover Skinny Cow individual ice cream this week. Dulce De Leche is honest to goodness a close rival to Hagendas (sp?)  and that is saying a lot.  There are several flavors, for 2 points for a 5.8oz serving.  Oh, my goodness, yummy!  There are also ice cream cones and sandwiches, the cones are equally excellent.  The sandwiches I tried a long time ago, and don't remember being impressed, but I am thinking I need to try again after the recent tries!
  • Current Mood
    anxious anxious
BlueMoon

Not Cool

Normally I'm very good about going out to eat. I can look over a menu and find reasonable-point-value things to eat that I'll still thoroughly enjoy (not just settle for). I do a lot better if I know in advance that I'll be going out so I can plan the rest of my day around that, but still. When I have to wing it, most of the time, I don't get too far off course, if at all.

Not so much today.

We went out to lunch completely unexpectedly and I wound up in a burger mood. I figured half a burger and a substitution of broccoli for fries should keep me in good shape and the other half could maybe be lunch another day or brought to my boyfriend ( who has accepted his duty to save me from myself by eating most of my restaurant left overs for me without much complaint ). I remembered doing something similar on a separate occasion, only I kept the fries, and came out fine so I had no reason to think this would not turn out well.

So, why do 40 point burgers exist?!?! Thankfully I asked for no bacon and the mayo on the side so that brought it down some, but that still put me at almost all my daily points used on just half a burger. Insanity.

It's the weekend so I have time to work it off, and it was a delicious burger, so the world is not coming to an end or anything, but I'm still frustrated. At least it was a lesson learned. While it's perfectly fine to still have "bad" things once in a while, it should be planned - not done on the fly.