April 4th, 2010

Running

Setbacks as motivation

I just touched on this as a response but I thought this was in fact worth a post.

I'm a firm believer that as helpful as the WW program is, it's not the most important tool to success. That is mindset. If your mind isn't right, despair, doubt and rationalization creep in and it makes it so very easy to go off program. So many people see a very small loss or even a gain as a cause for those feelings. It opens the door to negative self-talk and all the bad behavior that can come of that. There is another way to look at these moments.

The very hard part is to be willing to write yourself an IOU on a pity party. Sure, come and vent here, vent in your meeting, vent at every venue you have available but STAY ON PROGRAM. Trust yourself, trust the program and trust a higher power if that's a source of strength for you but no matter what stick to the program....because you know what's going to happen the following week right? If you keep your points on, follow the GHG, get those APs and when get on the scale it will start to go down.

This will in turn provide you with one of the best psychological tools possible: Tangible proof that you can overcome. Look, it's right there, you DID IT! Days when I wake up and my headspace is just not right; I want the pizza, I don't want to work out, I need an RC, where are the Reese's cups!?! Those are the days I pull up the chart.

Right there is September 27... the day I didn't quit. That's a 14.2 pound gain. At the time it crushed me. Looking at the chart with a bit more experience, it was quite obviously a water issue since I had manged to lose it and a little bit more by the very next week. The emotional beating and negative self talk were all for no good reason. This chart is now a tangible reminder not to despair, nor fear, nor doubt myself. Trust in the program and keep doing my part.

By now we've all had bad weeks. If you are new don't worry, you'll have one. :-) Look back on them when you encounter another bump and realize how strong you are.
alivicwil

(no subject)

It's the end of my first week and I feel really really good! I don't even feel like I'm dieting, I'm eating what I want, but I feel more conscious of what I'm doing, and how it's going to affect me later (it's hard to get the most out of your points!) Of course, there were some little cheats but I didn't expect it to be perfect. I bought the cookbook today and am making a great dinner for my family tonight :) (I wanna get my father motivated too)

Quick question: I've been doing this from things I've read online and my parents' previous knowledge of the program, because I'm a little tight on cash. Would you say it's worth it (even necesssary?) to actually "join" Weight Watchers and go to meetings?

(btw, have a great Easter, Passover, whatever holiday you may celebrate, or plain old beautiful weekend!)

P.S: first weigh in, I lost two pounds! :) very happy