March 3rd, 2010

(no subject)

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I've posted so I thought I'd let you know how my journey is going. I had hit a plateau for a while there, but I've lost 4.5 lbs in the past 3 weeks. This could be due to the fact that I'm training for a half marathon in MAY! Eeek.

So my big accomplishment on Saturday was that I stuck to the training plan for the half marathon and RAN 7 MILES! Omg, I was so scared of that number, but it didn't kill me. I did it an 1 and 24 minutes and walked about 15 minutes of that total time.

I'd like to say it's always my luck that sodium/bloating, etc always gets me a day or so before my weigh in! My scale at home had me weighing at at 171 over the weekend, but of course it goes up for my weigh-in day. Grr! Still, it's progress

Here are my current stats:

Height: 5'6"
Starting weight: 220
Current weight: 174.2
Next mini-goal: 165 (the weight that my driver license says. lol)
Second mini-goal: 155 (where I"m no longer overweight)
Ultimate goal: 140
  • Current Mood
    sleepy sleepy

WW Endorses Several McDonalds Menu Items in NZ

I just heard this on the radio!

Anger over Weight Watchers' endorsement of McDonald's

• 'Diet-friendly' menu to roll out in New Zealand
• Nutritionists says tie-up does not promote healthy eating

Weight Watchers in New Zealand is endorsing their logo on several items on the MCDONALDS menu. The surprise is that it's their fish-filet, chicken mcnuggets & a sweet chilli chicken wrap.

I'm sorry, but if you're going to promote something on their menu, this is the WRONG way to go. I certainly hope WW thinks twice about doing this in the USA. I know that WW might want to change their image a little so it's more appealing to more people, but come on....the filet-o-fish? That's 9 points!

What's your opinion?

Ch-ch-ch-changes.

Hello. I've been away for a while.
I joined WW in May of 2008. I lost about 45 pounds.
Despite losing weight and feeling great, there were still things about my body that didn't feel so great. I had great losses in the summer and very slow ones in the winter. I had really bad stomach pain/issues when I ate really high fiber things. I had 2 or 3 times where I had had a 4 pound weight increase from meeting to meeting, and would lose a pound the following week.

So I'm going to leave out some details... but I haven't gained a pound since I stopped tracking in December. I was using the The Daily Plate to track there, it's pretty nice but I've stopped that too.

I am being tested for Celiac Disease next week. I have taken out all gluten for the past week. And feel better. 90% better. If this is the case, I won't be following any sort of weight loss diet, just a diet that makes my body not fight itself.

I'm leaving the community, it was great while I was on WW. But,my focus has taken a dramatic change. WW really works, but you have to stick with it. Remember, it's about a lifestyle change, not dieting. I wish you all the luck you'll need.
Running

Nike+ review

Now that I've had a few days with it, I really like this device.

Nike+ consists of a sensor that goes under the insole of a Nike+ shoe or can be used in a pouch under the laces of other brands of shoes but apparently placement is critical so the shoes produce the best results. There is also a receiver that plugs into an iPod (Nano, Touch or iPhone). You then calibrate the sensor to your stride, enter your weight and the iPod can give you tons of information about your walk or run including distance, time, average pace and calories burned. One of the neat features is the ability to set up a "Power Song." When you press the center button, the selected song overrides the playlist. The idea is to bring up a particularly motivating bit of music for when your energy begins to wane.

It really gets interesting once you sync the iPod. It uploads the data to Nike Running. At this website it tracks ALL manner of data about your run, including information regarding the terrain, weather and how you felt. The information can then be displayed in any number of ways including a very spiffy chart of your speed over time. The website also gives you the ability to set yourself goals in calories burnt, miles run or number of runs completed. It can post some of this information on your Facebook wall or into your Twitter feed. One of the more cute bits of feedback is your "mini." It's an avatar that you create at Nike's website that gets more animated as you run more...and it can be added to your Facebook profile. The website also contains a coaching segment that will give you a training regimen from a novice "Walk to Run" workout up to full blown Marathon runner training. There is also a section for setting up online Challenges to participate in running programs with a huge online community or something with a group of friends.

It's worth noting that when I say "run" the device supports walking just as well.

At the $30 retail, this is a bargain if you walk or run for exercise BUT one word of warning!
Do not buy this thing mail order. The support is virtually non-existent and DOA sensors happen from time to time. I'll also save you a day of grief and regret that I went through. If the device starts losing your pace, coming up very short on your walks or runs and refusing to calibrate, return it. There really isn't anything to be done in the way of fixing and you need a new sensor.