September 22nd, 2009

• escurel

Starting W.W. after significant loss elsewhere

In February, I began my own little weight loss plan and starting at 195, I'm now down to 155 (ETA: I am 5'6"). I'd like to still lose about 15 pounds, but I've completely plateaued. My mom started Weight Watchers recently and I was thinking it may be a good thing to try it with her. Calculating my points with her material, it says I'd need about 22. I calculated a typical day for me, just curious to see how many points I usually consume--it's something like 17/18.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have tons of anxiety about increasing the amount I eat by 4 to 5 points. I've read a few places that increasing calories can usually break a plateau, but since I have been at about the same calories for the past 2 months, I'm scared I'll just gain.

Has anyone else started Weight Watchers after already seeing significant loss by some other method? How did it work for you?

Or should I just shut up and stop worrying so much? :P
Glasses

Week 7 results...

SW: 246
LW: 230.5
CW: 229
Goal: 150

Down to 229, for a total of 17 pounds lost. Yay! I get one less point per day, though. Boo!

My mysterious 3 pound gain last week seemed to be a fluke, as when I weighed myself the next day, those extra 3 pounds were mysteriously gone again. Stupid scale *grr*

I spent last night at work afraid that my pants were going to fall down...not that they were actually going to, but they were so loose it sure felt like it. Still, I'm hesitant to buy new clothes just yet, as I don't have a whole lot of extra cash. I'll wait until the pants really are falling off. :P

emotional/exhausted eating?

Eep.
So I'm not an emotional eater, I'm usually the emotional non-eater... But, on Friday I heard some really upsetting news about a coworker/friend. I was very emotionally distraught for days and the news drained me completely. I feel more like I ate because I was exhausted... I over ate to the point of being bloated 3 out of 4 days. I used up every point I had and them some.
I'm finally out of my funk days later... and my week starts fresh today. I maintained my
weight.
I was super excited because I started out last week doing a killer pilates workout, it totally kicked my but but I really enjoyed it. But, I only did it once, I was sore and then not up to it... I'm off to walk my 6 mile loop I like to do twice a week.
How do you people deal with emotional eating like this?
hatteras

Are Nutritional Labels Accurate?

So we all rely on the stats of a nutritional label to be as accurate as possible in counting points, but the question is.....are food labels accurate?

A lot of them are not. This makes it really hard for all of us who are watching what we eat...and for those who are diabetics to watch their sugar content, etc.

Here's an interesting blog on the topic: http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/09/22/use-food-labels-to-know-what-youre-eating-theres-a-1-in-4-cha/

Maybe it is costly to invest an effort making labels accurate, but I think much time needs to be invested in making labels accurate and educating people how to read them! You'd be surprised how many people can not read a label correctly, or those labels which are so confusing that you really can't figure out!  Seriously, if the US wants to really attack the growing obesity problem, they need to start with something 'as simple' as knowing what we're really eating!

What are your thoughts on this?
workout

To those in the New Orleans area

I am going to visit in November for a week so I would like to attend a meeting. I checked on the website and found a few locations but is it accurate? Is the one in Metairie (the one in Wilshire plaza) still operating?
To be honest I was toying with going to the location on St Charles (Jewish Community Center) so I could take the streetcar to that from the hotel. Alas its a bit early. How is that location though?

Yeah I have a bit of time before I go but thought I'd throw out this question. Thanks!
  • Current Mood
    curious curious