December 18th, 2004

Default - Tree
  • saoirse

Some questions...

I've been thinking about starting Weight Watchers, as I am overweight, but would like to do it on my own/online. I don't have the time or reliable enough transportation to make it to weekly meetings at the moment, but I do believe I have the willpower to hold myself accountable for the choices I make. However, before investing in the At Home Program Kit they offer on the Weight Watchers website, I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit more about how the program actually works. (Is it just me or is their website incredibly vauge on the details?!)

I would be doing the Flex Points version, keeping track of my foods' point values and such ... but what exactly does that mean? Since I've yet to get my hands on one of their food guides, I don't know how their point values are assigned. I'm not adverse to counting, I would just like to know what to expect before I get into this.

You see, I love to cook and do a lot of it. (Not so much a dining out person these days, although I'm sure that guide will come in handy from time to time.) What does their Food Companion book look like? Is this like calorie counting, where I'm going to have to tally the points of every ingredient in a meal I cook? Or are their points based on the overall dish?

Also, in your opinions, what parts of these Starter Kits do I *really* need? I'm a bit skecptical about things like Points calculators, but, then again, I've never needed one before and wouldn't know if its a marketing scheme or actually an asset! I guess what I'm asking is, would I be better off piecing together a kit on eBay or is everything that Weight Watchers includes in their kit at the online site actually useful?

Sincere thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me out!
  • Current Mood
    curious curious

(no subject)

So, I found a scale I'd put in the closet a few years ago to hide from myself. I was become way too obsessed with the number because it always seemed so high.

I've been sticking to the plan pretty well. First weigh in, 168.2. Second, 164.4. Third, 162.0.

So I find this scale, think "well, i'm on track with my weight now. I know where I am and I know where I'm going so it won't get to me like it use to." That is until I stepped on it and it said 168.5. That's six a half pounds more than my last weigh in, and its even more than my first! All I'd eaten so far today (it was this morning) was a banana. Is this that "false weight" I hear so much about? How do you know true weight from false weight?