December 14th, 2004

Belated introduction

Here I've been posting for a couple of weeks with no introduction. How anti-social of me.
I'm Matt, age 39, 5' 6".
Weight when I started WW: 194
Current: 185
Initial goal: 176
Long term goal: ????

I've weighed within 5 pounds of 185 for about the last 15 years, regardless of what condition I was in. When I was doing significant regular exercise I weight about the same, it was just distributed a little differently.
This is the first time in my life I've done anything that has had a significant impact on my weight. It has also had an effect on my general sense of well being. Right now I'm trying to figure out how far I want to go with this. According to the "statistical averages chart" my goal weight should be around 145lbs. I haven't weighed that since before high school. I"m kind of in limbo right now so I'm just taking it a week at a time to see how it feels.

I want to bring up an interesting occurrence in last weeks WW meeting. When one of the attendee's got her 5 pound star the meeting leader brought out a piece of "fat". Take a look at My Pet Fat.
He handed her a 1 pound piece of "fat" and said "You've lost 5 of these". It was both a little disgusting and quite an eye opener. Visual aids are a fascinating way to help continue weight loss motivation, or maybe get motivation going.
  • Current Music
    Just the sound of the heating vent

Just wanted to introduce myself after lurking for the past week. I'm 28 years old mother of 3 living in NY state. I have always had a little extra weight all my life, 5-10 pounds. After my 2nd pregnancy 7 years ago I ended up gaining A LOT!! (around 100 pounds) I didn't do much about it till about 2.5 years ago when I went on Low carb and managed to lose 65+ plus pounds in a little over 7 months... It was then that I found out I was pregnant with number 3... I once again ended up gaining alot of weight... pretty much everything I had lost in the months before. The little guy just turned 1 and in the past 6 or 7 months I have tried to restart the low carb lifestyle, but find I just can't stick to it this time around. After 3 or 4 weeks.. I give in. I have decided that it just isn't for me anymore. Day after tomorrow will be my first weigh in at Weight Watchers. I am hoping that will be what I need.

Current weight(by my scale) 254
Goal 145

Just an Intro...

Hi everyone. I wanted to post a quick intro before I start posting or commenting around the group (it's only right...hehe). My name is Jessica, I'm 29 and live in Connecticut. I have have an issue with my weight my whole life but I was awakened to how bad it was about a year ago when my sister who is 4 years younger than me and was always bigger than me (she's always been at least a size or two larger than me) went on a modified Atkins diet and went from a 28/28 to an 18/20 in less than a year. She started bringing me bags of clothes that she didn't fit into anymore and it was quite depressing (mostly because we've had a very competitive relationship our whole lives, but that's a WHOLE other story). I've always been the "pretty one" and she's always been the "smart one". What really tipped me off to the problem was one day when I was at my parents house and she had some things there that she didn't want that included things that she just didn't want and my Mom was going to take to a donation center. In there were clothes that had been mine when I was in college that were size 20. OMG I couldn't believe it!! Was I REALLY a size 20 in college??? I'm a 28 EASY now...that was only a little less than 10 years ago!! So I went home, cried and cried and finally told my fiance that I had finally come to the end of the line and I had to do something serious so I joined Weight Watchers. I signed up online on 11/6 and have since started going to meetings and I love it. It doesn't seem like it's been a month but it has and I don't imagine I'll be looking back any time soon. I hope that being here helps me to stay on track as well and that I can help others when people are feeling the need for a little motivational "kick". :)

My Stats:
Height: 5'7"
Start: 280
Last Weight In (from Monday): 262.5
Loss So Far: 17.5
First 10% Goal: 252
Ultimate Goal: 150
  • Current Music
    The Pretenders - Show Me