?

No account? Create an account
The War on Drugs [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Aspects of Criminalization

[ website | Definition of a Drug ]
[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Links
[Links:| Drug Abuse Resistance Education - Drug Enforcement Administration - Drug War Facts - NORML - Stop the Drug War ]

Injustice for some?? [Nov. 17th, 2005|11:12 pm]
Aspects of Criminalization

_war_on_drugs_

[mommy1152004]
[Current Mood |pissed offpissed off]

Some one answer me this please. I took a "random" drug test on the 7th of Nov. I haven't taken anything other than the following things in the past 3 months: Prozac, Benadryl, a tetnus booster, birth control pills, ibprophen, and ETOH (alcohol, but I tested positive for benzodiazapines (valium, ativan, xanax). I am in grave danger of being dropped from my nursing classes because of this. Like I said, though, I haven't taken any benzodiazapines. What could cause this kind of false positive reading? I am really stressing this, because I could be thrown out of school for something that I haven't done. Please help if you know anything about this!! I am making really good grades and I don't want to have done all of this hard work for nothing. I had to jump through a million hoops just to be able to go to school this semester. I am definately not going to do anything to jeprodize my education, and I don't want this to go down without a fight!!!

What's really gotten under my skin more than anything else, though is the thought that this might be something that someone is doing to get me kicked out. I don't want to think things like that, but I know I haven't done any pills like that. Also, I have been told time and again by my instructors that I will not be allowed to see the first two reports from LabCorp. They refuse to even tell me which benzodiazapine I have tested positive for.

I really hope someone can give me a clue at least as to where to look for this information, because I really can't afford to be kicked out of school. I started nursing school once before, when I was 18. I did not appriciate the gift of higher education then, but now that I have a husband and a daughter that will be 2 years old in 2 months, I have a greater apprication for my education. I want to be able to have a career in psychiatric nursing, because when I was younger and needed help myself, I realized how underserved the mentally ill can be.

If anyone knows anything either comment on this posting, or e-mail me at tommy_n_liz_haynes@hotmail.com.
LinkReply

Comments:
[User Picture]From: the_heathen
2005-11-21 08:40 am (UTC)
ETOH??

Have you taken any sleep aids, like Ambien??
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: mommy1152004
2005-11-22 05:53 am (UTC)
nope.
(Reply) (Thread)
2005-12-16 09:37 am (UTC)
Why should something so sudden wreck your planned career for being a nurse? If you tested positive for something like a benzodiazepine I think you would be fine. But you have a family now and should not be worried, and rather keep getting great grades. It really sucks when something like that interferes with anyone's path to being a good and successful nurse.
(Reply) (Thread)
2005-12-23 10:18 pm (UTC)

Your Drug test

Ask them for full disclosure of the test itself. No Test is 100% accurate. Many give false positives and or negatives on occasion, but they won't tell you that will they; unless you specifically ask for that info.
Always get to the bottom of anything, never ever assume anyone actually knows what they are doing, or that they are doing it correctly.

Question, question, question everything that affects your life and accept no substitutes for anything but the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, you might be surprised at what you find.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: txncowboy
2006-01-18 04:39 am (UTC)
Some substances can cause the tests to come out positive, and if an oxidizing agent like bleach ends up in the sample itll cause the test to come out positive. I doubt that they would put a preservative in the samples before doing a drug test on them but some preservatives would cause a positive reading, Id think that if they added a preservative to one theyed add it to them all an there a high enough number of positive results to make them question the results. You can always go to a doctor not associated with them and get tested and if you come out negative then that should give you some leverage on the case against you, and if it comes out positive the doctor might be able to determine something else in yoursystem causing the positive results. Good luck.
(Reply) (Thread)
2006-11-17 05:44 am (UTC)
I used to work at an investment bank in New York - and I heard of lots of false positives - and I believe them. It is a part of a large scale screening. You should be able to clear yourself fairly easily - it will take effort, but...
On the other hand, at that time I was doing tons of drugs, and was never flagged - though I pissed many times (around 9.11 security measures were really tight). The thing they noticed was I was vegetarian - no creatin. So I learned to take a supplement and then pissed just fine.
Go figure.
(Reply) (Thread)
2006-11-17 05:45 am (UTC)
If it gets bad, you can have a hair sample taken, but they should be able to simply screen you a few times - I'm sure they'll scare you, but it happens, believe me.
(Reply) (Thread)