[ Calendar | Past Entries ]
[ Memories | Remember ]
[ DNC Blog | Blog ]
[ Join Now | Join Community ]
[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ calendar | livejournal calendar ]

hi!no delete please [20 Apr 2012|02:33am]
leninsbrain
Originally posted by nikitagretzky at что вы вы видите на этой картинке?
Originally posted by diak_kuraev at Как делаются сенсации
... Получилось, будто митрополит согласен с нацистской символикой...
Получилось что "митрополит согласен с нацистами" ?
На самом деле получилось что
1)нацисты согласны с митрополитами
2)Митрополитам похуй кого они ведут за собой
Comment

More hopes or fears for Obama's presidency? [23 Nov 2008|03:25pm]

shustrik
  Check it out: http://fearsandhopes.com
It's non partisan. One can vote for others' hopes/fears or add one's own.
Comment

A Historic Night [05 Nov 2008|12:36am]

liberalgoliath
[ mood | happy ]

Finally. This 21-month-old campaign is over. Various strong feelings are overwhelming me. Not only did we witness a victory for a Democrat, a liberal politician, an educated and cultured man. We have seen a victory for an astute politician, for a community organizer, for a very deserving human being.

Not only that. The most unbelievable, the most noteworthy thing about Mr. President-Elect Barack Obama is that he belongs to an ethnic and racial minority. THAT is the defining mark of this Election in particular and Democracy in general. Our country might be in the midst of a financial crisis but I have a quiet confidence about it. Our Democracy (and thus - our country) will be all right. We are, it turns out, quite capable of choosing people on the basis of their merit, their intelligence, their ideas over the color of their skin, their ethnicity, or religion.

We still have a long way to go. But today was the first day in the new era of our history. I am certain that we will defeat the remaining bigotry and injustice and will assume our rightful place in the world leadership.

We will be the golden city on the hill. We will be the beacon for all nations.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Comment

A final examination from someone who has looked at both sides. [31 Oct 2008|11:48pm]

hallyluia
Painfully Inadequate
Election 2008.

By Thomas Sowell

Now that the two parties have finally selected their presidential candidates, it is time for a sober — if not grim — assessment of where we are.

Not since 1972 have we been presented with two such painfully inadequate candidates. When Election Day came that year, I could not bring myself to vote for either George McGovern or Richard Nixon. I stayed home.

This year, none of us has that luxury. While all sorts of gushing is going on in the media, and posturing is going on in politics, the biggest national sponsor of terrorism in the world — Iran — is moving step by step toward building a nuclear bomb.

The point when they get that bomb will be the point of no return. Iran’s nuclear bomb will be the terrorists’ nuclear bomb — and they can make 9/11 look like child’s play.

All the options that are on the table right now will be swept off the table forever. Our choices will be to give in to whatever the terrorists demand — however outrageous those demands might be — or to risk seeing American cities start disappearing in radioactive mushroom clouds.

All the things we are preoccupied with today, from the price of gasoline to health care to global warming, will suddenly no longer matter.

Much more behind the cut; please readCollapse )
Senator John McCain has been criticized in this column many times. But, when all is said and done, Senator McCain has not spent decades aiding and abetting people who hate America.

On the contrary, he has paid a huge price for resisting our enemies, even when they held him prisoner and tortured him. The choice between him and Barack Obama should be a no-brainer.

— Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution.

© 2008 CREATORS SYNDICATE, INC.
Comment

An endorsement that truly matters [20 Oct 2008|09:53pm]

liberalgoliath
[ mood | cheerful ]

I think that Colin Powell's endorsement of Barack Obama must be seen not only as a momentous event in this presidential election but as a momnetous event in the history of this country. It signifies the possibility of a highly respected member of one party to throw his support towards a member of an opposing party. This is exactly the kind of accross-the-isle politics that Obama has been talking about. Now, we actually see it happening. Obama is managing to obtain support from respectable personalities from the other side. Michael Smerconish, Ken Adelman, and, now, one of the most respected republicans, the only member of the Bush Administration not to entire lose his standing and respect, a true intellectual, Colin Powell endorses Obama.

I must say, I have always had, at least, some respect for Colin Powell. He served his country, he wasn't an ideologue, he was a moderate Republican. He seemed the one member of Bush Administration who was the most resistant, the most hesitant to join the cheerleading corps.

In a way, it was painful to see his "performance" at the UN. I knew he was pained to be there. I knew he had difficulty believing the stuff he was peddling there. I remember wishing he still had his balls attached right then. Well, those balls had been attached as he clearly showed yesterday.

And it won't matter that a chorus of Republican dung-flicking monkey will dump tons of dirt on him. Limbaugh has started already:

General Powell, even if we do not agree on a single thing from this day on, you have regained my respect.

Comment

McCain's Health Care Plan is dangerous. [06 Oct 2008|09:06am]

liberalgoliath
[ mood | satisfied ]

Many people who support McCain at this point do not realize or do not care that McCain's health care plan is disastrous to say the least. Some of these people can afford the private Health Care so they wouldn't care. Some think they're healthy enough not to care about it. And some are just voting against their best interest due to their political or societal (or, perhaps, racial) beliefs.

Here's a pretty good New York Times article about why McCain's plan is so dangerous by Paul Krugman. I am going to post some excerpts from it but i suggest everyone reads it in its entirety. it's not very long.

Mr. McCain, on the other hand, wants to blow up the current system, by eliminating the tax break for employer-provided insurance. And he doesn’t offer a workable alternative.

Without the tax break, many employers would drop their current health plans. Several recent nonpartisan studies estimate that under the McCain plan around 20 million Americans currently covered by their employers would lose their health insurance.

As compensation, the McCain plan would give people a tax credit — $2,500 for an individual, $5,000 for a family — that could be used to buy health insurance in the individual market. At the same time, Mr. McCain would deregulate insurance, leaving insurance companies free to deny coverage to those with health problems — and his proposal for a “high-risk pool” for hard cases would provide little help.

- and -

the people gaining insurance would be those who need it least: relatively healthy Americans with high incomes. Why? Because insurance companies want to cover only healthy people, and even among the healthy only those able to pay a lot in addition to their tax credit would be able to afford coverage (remember, it’s a $5,000 credit, but the average family policy actually costs more than $12,000).

Meanwhile, the people losing insurance would be those who need it most: lower-income workers who wouldn’t be able to afford individual insurance even with the tax credit, and Americans with health problems whom insurance companies won’t cover.

And in the process of comforting the comfortable while afflicting the afflicted, the McCain plan would also lead to a huge, expensive increase in bureaucracy: insurers selling individual health plans spend 29 percent of the premiums they receive on administration, largely because they employ so many people to screen applicants. This compares with costs of 12 percent for group plans and just 3 percent for Medicare.

As you can see, McCain's plan favors those who can afford private insurance and eviscerates those who need it the most - those who have health problems or can not afford health care on their own.

Also, it is a wonderful illustration to show how much we're paying for the administrative expenses all the private insurers incur. And what this article does not address is the advertisement costs and the redundant data processing costs for these companies that ultimately come out of our pockets. When was the last time time you saw advertisement for Medicare? :) And you can rest assured, they have a single (and very powerful) computer system that maintains every doctor and every patient no matter where the patients or doctors are located...

Now to a more pleasant subject - the polls. over the last week Obama's lead seemed to have cemented. More people are realizing the danger to the economy McCain presidentcy (aka Bush Third term) presents. Also, what disturbs people even more is the buttom half of that ticket. Despite GOP putting on a brave face and deceiving themselves about Sarah Palin's "performance" at the Veep debate, it was clear that Biden had easily won the debate. He seemed to have first-hand knowledge of the facts, control of the issues and refused to get down and dirty with his opponent. Palin had actually refused to answer several questions and most people see through that "rural charm" and "folksy" attitude.

So, now, the polls are looking more and more to be "predicting" (if that term can be so used) Obama's victory next month. RealClearPolitics.com average value is Obama +5.9%. His current lead in Electoral College Predictions is from 101 to 168 electoral votes.

it is harder and harder for GOP supporters to find solace and that is making me feeling that much better :)
Comment

One hand knows not what the other does? [24 Sep 2008|09:24am]

liberalgoliath
[ mood | bouncy ]

Guess what, according to their Party Platform, Republicans oppose, on the principle, government's bailouts of private companies.

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. Government interference in the markets exacerbates problems in the marketplace and causes the free market to take longer to correct itself. We believe in the free market as the best tool to sustained prosperity and opportunity for all.

How do you like them apples? Not only was McCain against the bailouts before he was for it, he is in decided contrast with his own party's platform. Of course, Republican base will still vote for their candidate no matter what. But it is just interesting to note people's total lack of principle.

Comment

[04 Sep 2008|03:00pm]

severe_scented
I found this on a Daily Kos blog and it made me smile. I added a few things to it.

After watching the malicious speeches last night mocking Senator Obama, and by proxy, cynically attacking all of us who support our local communities, I thought it would be prudent to educate the Republican Party on the historical role of community organizers. For a quick reminder, let's recap Giuliani's snark:

"He worked as a community organizer. (Laughter) What?...Barack Obama has never led anything, nothing, nada."

And Palin's vacuous follow-up:

"This world of threats and dangers, it's not just a community and it doesn't just need an organizer. (Laughter.)"

That these bastions of the GOP would denigrate the importance of community organizers on the same night their party nominates its first female vice presidential candidate shows an utter disrespect for the people of this country and a laughable ignorance of the power we wield. This is what community organizers do...

They change the world. Block by block, city by city, state by state, nation by nation...

So, GOP, meet community organizer Susan B. Anthony. She helped guarantee women's suffrage in the United States by giving public speeches and uniting with fellow advocates of change.

Read more...Collapse )Why would the Republicans spend a whole night of their convention attacking ordinary people?

With the nation watching, the Republicans mocked, dismissed, and actually laughed out loud at Americans who engage in community service and organizing.

Our convention was different. We gave the stage to everyday Americans who hunger for change and stepped up to make phone calls, knock on doors, and raise money in small amounts in their communities. You may have missed it, but we also showed the country a video with the faces and voices of those organizers, volunteers, and donors from every corner of the country.

please visit http://www.mybarackobama.com and join us today, you can help out from home even if you just have 30 minutes a week. Join us and take a leading role in changing YOUR community and our incredible country today.
Comment

Sarah Palin: The Beauty Queen Has Two Faces [04 Sep 2008|02:11pm]

mzflux
[ mood | awake ]

Palin attempted to ban books at local library, threatened to fire dissenting librarian

Palin continued to inject religious beliefs into her policy at times. "She asked the library how she could go about banning books," he says, because some voters thought they had inappropriate language in them. "The librarian was aghast." The librarian, Mary Ellen Baker, couldn't be reached for comment, but news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire her for not giving "full support" to the mayor. -- Time

Attacks, praise stretch truth at GOP convention

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and her Republican supporters held back little Wednesday as they issued dismissive attacks on Barack Obama and flattering praise on her credentials to be vice president. In some cases, the reproach and the praise stretched the truth.

Some examples:
PALIN: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."

THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere."

PALIN: "There is much to like and admire about our opponent. But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform — not even in the state senate."

THE FACTS:[Obama] has worked with Republicans to pass legislation that expanded efforts to intercept illegal shipments of weapons of mass destruction and to help destroy conventional weapons stockpiles. The legislation became law last year. To demean that accomplishment would be to also demean the work of Republican Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana, a respected foreign policy voice in the Senate. In Illinois, he was the leader on two big, contentious measures in Illinois: studying racial profiling by police and requiring recordings of interrogations in potential death penalty cases. He also successfully co-sponsored major ethics reform legislation.

PALIN: "The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes, raise payroll taxes, raise investment income taxes, raise the death tax, raise business taxes, and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars."

THE FACTS: The Tax Policy Center, a think tank run jointly by the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute, concluded that Obama's plan would increase after-tax income for middle-income taxpayers by about 5 percent by 2012, or nearly $2,200 annually. McCain's plan, which cuts taxes across all income levels, would raise after tax-income for middle-income taxpayers by 3 percent, the center concluded.

Obama would provide $80 billion in tax breaks, mainly for poor workers and the elderly, including tripling the Earned Income Tax Credit for minimum-wage workers and higher credits for larger families.

He also would raise income taxes, capital gains and dividend taxes on the wealthiest. He would raise payroll taxes on taxpayers with incomes above $250,000, and he would raise corporate taxes. Small businesses that make more than $250,000 a year would see taxes rise.

Anne Kilkenny, Wasilla citizen and long-time acquaintance of Palin, speaks out

I am a resident of Wasilla, Alaska. I have known Sarah since 1992 . . .

Her experience is as mayor of a city with a population of about 5,000 (at the time), and less than 2 years as governor of a state with about 670,000 residents.

During her mayoral administration most of the actual work of running this small city was turned over to an administrator. She had been pushed to hire this administrator by party power-brokers after she had gotten herself into some trouble over precipitous firings which had given rise to a recall campaign.

Sarah campaigned in Wasilla as a “fiscal conservative”. During her 6 years as Mayor, she increased general government expenditures by over 33%. During those same 6 years the amount of taxes collected by the City increased by 38%. This was during a period of low inflation (1996-2002). She reduced progressive property taxes and increased a regressive sales tax which taxed even food. The tax cuts that she promoted benefited large corporate property owners way more than they benefited residents.

The huge increases in tax revenues during her mayoral administration weren’t enough to fund everything on her wish list though, borrowed money was needed, too. She inherited a city with zero debt, but left it with indebtedness of over $22 million. . .

I have long believed in the importance of being an informed voter. I am a voter registrar. For 10 years I put on student voting programs in the schools. If you google my name (Anne Kilkenny + Alaska), you will find references to my participation in local government, education, and PTA/parent organizations. . .

I looked around and realized that everybody else was afraid to say anything because they were somehow vulnerable.

thanks to dabroots, krypt_kycker, and cieldumort
Comment

Sarah Palin - an attack dog. Nothing more [04 Sep 2008|10:58am]

liberalgoliath
[ mood | accomplished ]

After hearing Sarah Palin's speech, I thought to myself "This is not something America might like". This thinking has been vindicated by the CNN comments people had left to the article about Sarah Palin's performance at the RNC:

Justin

updated September 4, 2008
Listening to Palin's speech tonight, I cried. Not tears of joy, hope, or happiness. I cried because i am scared that her rhetoric will affect people's decisions about America's future. This speech was scarier than ...more
Listening to Palin's speech tonight, I cried. Not tears of joy, hope, or happiness. I cried because i am scared that her rhetoric will affect people's decisions about America's future. This speech was scarier than any movie, any war, and anything I can think of. If people believe this obvious pandering of ideologies, I pray we can get through these next four years. less

ContinueCollapse )

Comment

Media taking the road of least resistence? [04 Sep 2008|01:34am]

liberalgoliath
[ mood | aggravated ]

Had you read any media coverage of the RNC and Sarah Palin, in particular? In fact, have you read any political media since she was pronounced a Republican VP candidate?

A few things should become as strangely apparent as the media's self-torture over the real or perceived wrongs they had themselves heaped on this poor girl-next-door-turned-Republican-rising-star Sarah Palin.

Everywhere you look you see media pundits attacking the media (who? themselves?) for not being friendly to Sarah Palin.

Here's Ben Shapiro screaming of the sexist treatment of Sarah Palin in print, and National Review's Yuval Levin attack on what he saw as "A Shameful Week for Press", and the Telegraph's Janet Daley comparing Sarah Palin's Treatment by Media to Margaret Thatcher's

Wherever you look you see media attacking its own coverage of Sarah Palin. Is this some sort of a new Sado-masochistic fashion that has embroiled our MSM in the desire to out-self-lynch the other media outlets? Is this the guilt trip of realizing they're not being gentlemanly to a pretty lady? And if there are so many angry condemnations of the Palin condemnators, how come there are more of the former than there are of the latter? And how come all we see is this outright gushing over Mrs. Palin from every corner of the MSM, which drowns the few realistic voices, which rightfully and justifiably point to Sarah Palin's hypocricy, inexperience, and downright extreme religious fundamentalism?

But, perhaps, as Joe Cline of Time states Media are just doing their job?

Perhaps, we should ask ourselves a question: why should anyone really feel angry at media vetting a VP candidate? Or is it because the campaign themselves failed to vet her? Is the media forced to ask tough questions because McCain's people failed to do so? Or maybe the very amazement at a presidential candidate naming a running mate who he's met only ONCE before passes for savagery these days?

Or, perhaps, calling Sarah Palin for what she is, an inexperienced-girl-next-door-Christian-fundamentalist-anti-choice-anti-gay-right-hypocrite-authoritarian-governor-corrupt-politician-befriending-earmarks-requesting-flip-flopper-two-years-removed-from-a-tiny-town-mayorship Republican VP candidate, is somehow unbecoming for our media?

If Political News Media did not ask these absolutely necessary questions, they would not be media any more than gossip columns or obituaries. And for campaigns, their cheerleaders, or political pundits to feel offended by this is a true subversion of freedom of speech and, dare I say it, Democracy.

Comment

[03 Sep 2008|12:31pm]

severe_scented
During a forum today, Tom Delay said that the Dems have a better ground game than the Republicans.

lets keep the momentum going by actually making sure that we get out the vote in November.

On that note, I would like to rally all democrats, liberals, independents, and yes even republicans who support Barack Obama and Joe Biden to join us at some point over the next few weeks and to become a part of this campaign.

From the start Barack Obama said that this campaign was unlike any other, and if you look at what's driven it you'll notice that it's people. It’s up to us to use every bit of energy and enthusiasm that we have to help Barack Obama get elected and change the course of our nation.

Now, you might not have a lot of time to help out or get involved or you don't have money to donate. But this campaign is not just about money or for hiring staffers to do all of the organizing. It's about us getting to know our neighbors and to actually use this campaign to transform our communities by becoming more involved in them. Just last week I met a 38 year old woman who can only volunteer for 2 hours a week, so she began to have phone banking events right from her living room, and she didn't even spend a dime on it. She used her free weekend cell phone minutes.

So, if you have just 15-30 minutes a week or if you want to go all out and volunteer for 1 or 10 hours a week. We need you! There are even ways to help out and volunteer right from HOME. If you have free weekend minutes you can help us make phone calls, send messages, sign postcards, etc. So regardless of your situation you can still own a piece of this campaign and be a part of it.

To find out how to help out from home or right in your community please check out http://www.mybarackobama.com where you will have to register (no spam) and after that you can click on Action or Events - The Events feature is amazing! all you have to do is type in your zip code and you'll be able to see all the local Obama related house party, voter registration drives, book reading meetings, church events, and a variety of other local event that are both Obama and non-Obama related. So if you want to be a part of this historic campaign or if you just want to learn more about local politics, check out the "events" site feature. Below are some other ways to get involved.

Get Involved with your Local Field Office

The very first thing you should do is contact your local field office. The campaign has opened dozens of offices in states across the country. Check out this National map and find the office closest to you,

Your local field office will ask you to help in their efforts on the ground.

Get Organized Locally

In some cases, there may not be a local field office nearby, or you may be excited to get started organizing in your own town.

In order to help you in that process, we’ve created a step-by-step guide with all the resources and advice that you may need in that process.

First off, let us know that you are committed to getting your group organized! If you let us know that you're working in your local community, we can better help to empower you.

Don’t be shy in trying to get the word out. The more people that know your event is happening, the more likely you’ll get a sizable crowd.

Finally, make sure your local campaign field office knows about your event. You can find the office closest to you by visiting BarackObama.com and selecting your state.

You can also advertise your event by going to the Events site

I personally know so many first times ranging from 16 - 72 years old who have gotten involved for the FIRST time. People who can only help out from home for 1 hour a week, and individuals who come in and volunteer every single day. What matters is that we need YOU to help us create positive change in our local communities and in turn help to change and reform this country. What matters is that we don't stay home and just talk about this stuff, but actually turn out the vote and get out there and get to know others who are trying to help our country.

Feel free to call your field office or leave me a message w/ any of your questions.
Comment

Obama wowes, electrifies, hypnotizes [29 Aug 2008|08:37am]

liberalgoliath
Obama Magnificent, Presidential, Substantive, and Inspirational in his speech to highlight the Democratic National Convention.

I have seen many speeches in my relative short life. They have been acceptance speeches, attack speeches, campaign stump speeches. Obama's speech at the end of the Democratic Convention was all of that and more. He's usual oratorial brilliance was expertly interwoven with powerful attacks at McCain and detailed description of 29 points of Barack's presidential platform. Obama looks more and more presidential despite the polls remaining close. However, RCP is starting to register a convention bounce and the convention only ended yesterday.

People are still talking about this speech and will continue to talk about it. In the four day span that had seen many electric speeches, such as the one by Ted Kennedy, Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Joe Biden, <a href='http://thedemocraticdaily.com/2008/08/28/al-gores-dnc-speech/">Al Gore</a>, this speech stood on its own, at the pinnacle of political speaking. This speech alone may have created the case for why Obama should be the president. And if there is still any lingering division in the Democratic ranks, I do not see how it could still be significant. And another thing this convention had symbolized: how many powerful, magnetic, inspiring personalities are leading the Democratic Party. The party is carried by true giants. Accross the isle, we find a party devoid of leadership, mired in corruption and cronyism. This should be a no-brainer. <font color=red size=5 face="Courier new">Obama! Obama! Yes We Can!</font>
Comment

No Way, No How, No McCain [27 Aug 2008|12:31am]

liberalgoliath
[ mood | inspired ]

This is what I wrote on my own LJ page: "I am still on the emotional high from what I (and millions of Americans) had just experienced. Hillary Clinton certainly delivered. I can not imagined how she could have done her assignment any better. Hillary was gracious in defeat and committed to continue the fight to prevent the Republicans from continuing the occupation of the White House. She reminded everyone that what she has fought so hard for all her life, Obama will fight for. And all that she stands for McCain stands against. Which is why she supports Obama against McCain and which is why we all should. She has called on her supporters and, indeed, all Americans, to stand with her in support of Barak Obama and Joe Biden as they fight for "we the people" against the "we the few". After this speech, if there is still any of her supporters who will not support Obama, perhaps, nothing will change their mind. A great majority of them will support the Democratic ticket. As she had said herself, if people had supported her platform, rather than supporting herself personally, they must unite with Obama supporters to fight for their united platform. Today, those who can be reasoned with were inspired. Those who can't - never will be." I am wondering if there are still Hillary supporters who see their candidate wholeheartedly and forthrightly commit herself to join Barak Obama in support of our Democratic platform and, yet, not supporting Barak Obama (or even worse - vote for McCain). I'd like to meet these people, talk to them, and hear their reasoning (if there is any). I know two such supporters, my own parents. They will not vote for Obama (in fairness, they will not vote for McCain, either). But when prompted for their reasoning, they did exactly what Hillary had warned against in her speech today at the DNC, they supported HER not what she stood for... I do not see this as an objective reason for a Hillary supporter not to vote for Obama come November. What does everyone else think about that?

Comment

Reality and McCain move in different circles... [22 Aug 2008|02:10pm]

liberalgoliath
[ mood | thoughtful ]

McCain came out with a new ad, which alleges that Obama will raise taxes and freely spend it

But is Obama truly the tax-raising spendthrift that McCain and Co have been trying to make him out to be?

As usual, Paul Krugman can be counted on for an expert analysis:

(excerpt)Mr. McCain wants to preserve almost all the Bush tax cuts, and add to them by cutting taxes on corporations. Mr. Obama wants to roll back the high-end Bush tax cuts — the cuts in tax rates on the top two income brackets and the cuts in tax rates on income from dividends and capital gains — and use some of that money to reduce taxes lower down the scale.

According to estimates prepared by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, those Obama tax increases would fall overwhelmingly on people with incomes of more than $200,000 a year. Are such people rich? Well, maybe not: some of those Mr. Obama proposes taxing are only denizens of lower Richistan, although the really big tax increases would fall on upper Richistan. But one thing’s for sure: Mr. Obama isn’t planning to raise taxes on the middle class, by any reasonable definition — even that of the Bush administration.

O.K., the Bush administration hasn’t actually offered a definition of “middle class.” But in May, the Treasury Department — which used to do serious tax studies, but these days just churns out Bush administration propaganda — released a report purporting to show, by looking at the tax bills of four hypothetical families, how the middle and working class would be hurt if the Bush tax cuts aren’t made permanent.

And when the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities looked at the report, it made an interesting catch. It turns out that Treasury’s hypothetical families got all their gains from the so-called middle-class provisions of the Bush tax cuts: the Child Tax Credit, the reduced tax bracket for lower incomes and marriage penalty relief.

These all happen to be provisions that Mr. Obama proposes leaving in place. In other words, the Bush administration itself implicitly defines the middle class as consisting of people making too little to end up paying additional taxes under the Obama plan.

Of course, all the evidence in the world won’t stop Republicans from claiming, as they always do, that Democrats are going to impose a crippling tax burden on ordinary hard-working Americans. But it just ain’t so.

Republicans can never be too burdened with truth. We all know that. But, perhaps, this time around, we MUST be much more forthright in combatting the Republican fantasies.

In unrelated, but, nevertheless, very interesting (and wishful) news, Gore to speak on Democratic convention's final night

I wonder what that could be about...

Comment

I think comments are superfluous [22 Aug 2008|01:17am]

liberalgoliath
[ mood | cynical ]

McCain - out of touch, devoid of reality, a terrible perspective for America

Comment

[14 Aug 2008|01:16pm]

mihail_litvinov
THE CAPITAL OF SOUTH OSSETIA IS WIPED OFF THE POLITICAL MAP
THE CAPITAL OF SOUTH OSSETIA IS WIPED OFF THE POLITICAL MAP

The day of August 8 has put a final and irreversible end to the claims of Georgia for this territory. This obvious fact just has to be recognized officially. Today, Moscow possesses an unquestionable moral right for declaring South Ossetia and Abkhazia as territories of Russia. The will of the peoples, expressed earlier at the public referendums, is to be satisfied, as well as their natural desire to be protected by a strong nation.

Saakashvili spent the whole term of his presidency provoking Russia for physical response – to his verbal humiliating statements, to the capture and interrogation of officers of the Russian peacekeeping contingent by his henchmen, to the selection of an alternative government of South Ossetia etc. Thus, when Georgian aircrafts and artillery were systematically bombing living quarters and hospitals of Tskhinval, the center of the breakaway South Ossetia, and killing injured peacekeepers, he was just doing his job. He was doing what he was instructed to do by his US employers. Tskhinvali, as the center of the unrecognized state of South Ossetia, does not exists any longer. What does exist is the Russian city of Tskhinval.

http://www.win.ru/war/463.phtml
2 Comments  Comment

The Audacity of Soap [13 Aug 2008|12:02pm]

virgingloves
Is Barack Obama the start of a movement or the continuation of something that has already begun?

Click here to read the full article:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/08/12/151934.php

Enjoy, Alex Hutchinson
Comment

Video [11 Aug 2008|01:58pm]
ben_ramman
2 Comments  Comment

!!! [11 Aug 2008|01:57pm]
ben_ramman
Hi, this video is directed to an American public and the rest of civilized Western world. I am a Russian citizen, I live in United States for a long time, for over 10 years. I happened to be in Russia now and I caught all this "action" that's taking place in South Ossetia, a region in Georgia. I never posted on youtube, but I couldn't hold myself from doing it now. I had to do this.
My message to American public is meant as a wake up call. American and other Western media especially CNN is feeding you complete horse shit! Russia did not invade and did not attack Georgia. It was a response to a horrible war crime committed by Georgian president Mikhail Saakashvili, this irresponsible man who just can't stand Russia, hates us, and will kiss America's and Europe's ass just to get a chance to join NATO and European Union. America has always supported Georgian "democracy" and I suspect actually that it was America who instigated Georgia to commit this crime.... on the first day of Olympics! How ironic is that? But please don't take this allegation too close heartedly, my point is not about whether or not U.S. government had any role in this, my point is to give you truth about what really happened Thursday night

So again, Russia did not invade or attack Georgia, as your media outlets are saying.

A brief geography and history lesson. South Ossetia is a very small region about 40 miles by 40 miles in the northern Georgia. It's population is around 70000 people. It borders with Russia. Today, many of the residents of South Ossetia are Russian citizens holding Russian passports, it's our people. South Ossetia had claimed independence from Georgia in 1992. Obviously it was never recognized by any international organizations. In 2006, they held an election where 99% of the voters supported independence from Georgia, and the turn out rate was 95%, it was monitored by a team of 34 international observers from the West. It still was not recognized by the world. As an analogy I would like to bring Kosovo situation, Serbian region in the south that was illegally snatched from Serbia and made into an independent country. Please look it up on Wikipedia and see how similar this situation is. How ironic is that America never supported Southern Ossetia same way it supported Kosovo. Obviously, it was made to show Russia how unfriendly the rest of the world is towards us.

Thursday night, Georgian military started an attack against South Ossetia. It was yesterday. They shelled the main city of Tshinkvali. They killed over a 1000 people. The excuse was to "restore the constitutional order in the region". BULLSHIT! This attack was an attempt to commit "ethnic cleansing", it was an act of genocide. They shelled civilian houses, schools, hospitals, without any warning. They also captured several villages near Tshinkvali. Reports say that they attempt to kill anyone of the Ossetian nationality. It was a pure act of Genocide. Wake up!

Russia couldn't watch this atrocity happening to its own citizens. We had no choice but to bring in our military into the region and protect our people. Whatever happens next the world needs to know, that the cause of this conflict is Georgia and its president. Before you accept what your media tells you, before you get fired up by McCains irresponsible allegations and comments, try remember all the lies that American media had always fed you, try to read news from other media outlets, not russian, but other parts of the world, other than U.S. or U.K.'s media.

America needs to wake up and stop doing what it's doing. Stop seeing an enemy in Russia. Stop using countries like Georgia, Ukraine, Poland, Latvia, Estonia who are basically acting like prostitutes of U.S. government in their public acts of hatred towards Russia.

And finally need to say, Mr. SSHAshvili that's how we like to call him. S.SH.A stands for U.S.A in Russian. Mr. SSHAshvili will pay for what happened yesterday.
Comment

navigation
[ viewing | most recent entries ]
[ go | earlier ]