Saru Bobo Kun (saruryujin) wrote in _thelounge,
Saru Bobo Kun
saruryujin
_thelounge

• Mood:
  • Music:

Dour festival report [x-posted]

Two robots disguised as humans: Sue Denim and Dee Plume a.k.a. Robots In Disguise. Dee sing, blast her guitar and love to lie down on the stage floor when singing. Sue also chant and is perfectly grooving as one with her bass guitar. Both shake, shout, throw things, move a lot on the stage, even out of it, as they literally jump, stage diving into the audience when it least expect it. In all that action driven performance they still manage to keep their punkish electro music truculently rocking, adding a little flute or xylophone play at times, all that in a catchy crazy way. In brief: they ROCK!

It's the most funny, groovy and joyful electro punkish duo I have seen for years. For these robot girls, a stage is a playground. The robots' duo was very well programmed on the 15th July at the Dour festival. I haven't seen any major malfunction, so good to know robots can live forever. I suggest that they release a cover version of Prefab Sprout's 'The King of Rock and Roll', I even dreamed up a video for it a few nights after the ride...♡

There were more than 50 bands, DJs and formations on the line up in the many tents and open-air stages at the Dour festival the very same day (and night). It would be impossible to see all these p.a. but I could watch (that's the word) the end of the Vive la Fête p.a. and wasn't moved at all by their music, they were good live a few years ago but now it end up sounding pretty boring certainly with their bad empty repetitive French lyrics and monotonous music riff. All I could enjoy, even from far, was the singer (Els Pino)'s legs not the music.

To me, the most mesmerizing, deep, poetic, profound, sensual revelation of the festival was Chris Corner new formation: I am X. Chris Corner is very charismatic on stage and his music in I am X is a perfect synthesis of electronic rock funky romantica. Hard to describe anyway, so go to see and listen to I am X live if you get the chance they come nearby your area. Don't miss it. I Am X - Kiss and Swallow on Recall is a great electro pop album by the way.

I could also see the Mylo live set, the music was good, groovy, not specially original but tasteful. Myles MacInnes' stage musicians (bass/guitar, drums, synth..) played sharp; maybe too sharp to do it for real as Mylo's music sounds and is electronically created, they might have been faking it and in case not, were playing like a fully controlled sequencer. Most tunes were even played for too long in my view, like they were playing the extended play remix edit but there was however a few little compositional jewels here and there. The public was quite enthusiastic, obviously strongly so when some club oriented tracks were played. One thing is sure, Mylo sound is GOOD.

Amon Tobin gave the most impressive of all p.a., intertwining in his way Drum & Bass with Trip-Hop, Downtempo Exotica, Latin and Ambient soundscape with layers and layers of Glitch and weird noise. He took all of us for a journey into sound and serially dropping fast beats again, with his very peculiar approach to tuning sounds and orchestration. I'm not a dedicated fan of the Drum & Bass genre, and Amon Tobin's music isn't specially that either but he could get me moving and jumping on these kind of rhythm, which rarely happen. It was unique. A one man show I'll always remember. Could you believe it: it was strong and smooth, swaying in fast and slow mode, intricate but full of vibes, multi layered then minimal or sharp as a razor and again effervescent, sparkling, lively mad at times then wisely orchestrated. Tobin was getting us lost in adventurous and cavernous soundry then kidnapping us on a highway to surprise. Note that the sound system was also MASSIVE! I had an USAmercian guest by my side and she was desiring to leave that stage area to go checking the way more formal Mylo act as it started a bit before the end of Tobin live concert. Amon Adonai Santos de Araujo Tobin music is for those who prioritize curiosity or innovation over trendy formula or any style entrenchment. His latest album is the soundtrack for Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory video game. I'm not into games at all, hopefully the soundtrack has been released on Ninja Tunes.

On our way back we passed by the 'last arena' stage, where Hawkwind were playing their last track for the night and when the music ended their very last loud burst on the microphone was just one word: 'Hawkwind' !

In my next web-log I'll write about the 10 Days Off and the Gentse Feeste.
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 1 comment