?

No account? Create an account
Brittany the Keyblade Master! [userpic]
About the Mods
by Brittany the Keyblade Master! (magic730dreams)
at June 1st, 2006 (11:53 am)
current mood: accomplished

Well, Holly wrote the sweetest welcome note on our user info page-so check that out if you haven't yet. Due to the comments about commenting (lol), there will NOT be a rule saying someone has to comment often to be a member. But please do comment when/if you can. I know I don't comment often because of my lack of internet access, so I understand wanting to and not being able to comment. However, even a comment about a hug, or how you understand, or you've been there too, or that the person is not alone, or it is not their fault, can help so much. If you are having a difficult time even and can't read the post because you feel sensitive and may become triggered, you can still comment. I once had a girlfriend of mine comment to a long post I made in _survivors_, and she told me that she hadn't read my post because she was having a hard week, but then talked a little about how she knew I was strong and brave and could make it through whatever was going on. That comment still means a lot to me, and I made that post over 6 months ago. Just goes to show that you never know what your words will mean to someone-so spread the love!!! :-)

Holly's got some great ideas about tagging posts and making us more organized, and going through our interests lists. So, if anyone has an interest that they feel should be added or removed, please let us know. Watch the user info page off and on over the next couple weeks, and let us know how you feel about it. This is your place as much as it is ours, and we want everyone to feel safe here.

Sooooo....hope everyone has a great week, and take care of yourself! -Brit

Name: Holly
LJ User Name: dramaqween2788
What made you want to be a Mod? Brittany needed some help, and it's easy and fun!
What is your own therapeutic history? I've been on meds/seeking therapy for depression/anxiety since 2003. I go at least once a week.
What issues are you dealing with now? Depression, Anxiety, my medial situation/disability, being more social with my age group, and finding myself as a person. It always changes though!
What type(s) of therapist do you currently see? Psychiatrist, Psychologist, school Social Worker.
Why do you believe in therapy? I resented it in the beginning, but now I can't cope without it. It is in my sessions, that I feel the most support - other than family and friends who may have bias thoughts/opinions. I believe therapy can be beneficial to everyone if they want to help themselves for the better!
Do you like to read books about self-help? Why or why not? I'm starting to. I find it emotionally hard sometimes.
What is your favorite thing about yourself? My ability to advocate and be assertive for myself - this is much needed when you're disabled! :)
What are you most proud of in your life? This is a hard one! I often need someone else's help in order to see my accomplishments and their impact. I can't take the fact that I'm alive and strong for granted though!

Name: Brittany
LJ User Name: magic730dreams
What made you want to be a Mod? I started _the_couch_ because I couldn't find a community that was based on a common ground of therapy. I was (and still am) in communities for specific issues I had, but there wasn't a general place. So I made one! :-)
What is your own therapeutic history? I went inpatient after a few suicide attempts in Fall 2004. I did a day program after I became outpatient for a couple months, and then moved to a few days a week, to once a week. I now go once a week, and go online to internet support groups (likes ours) about once a week or less, since my resources have been restricted.
What issues are you dealing with now? I am in a process of becoming a confident, self-aware and secure woman. I was sexually abused as a child (thus I have PTSD), raped in high school, and I habitually cut myself for about six years. However, I am making awesome progress and feel good about it.
What type of therapist do you see? I currently see a woman named Christina, we do talk therapy and a number of other types from time to time, depending on the situation and my needs then.
Why do you believe in therapy? I believe in the strength of a person to help themselves, and therapy is a tool that helps me. Therapy is really just someone helping you to fix your own issues and learn to take care of yourself-not to downplay what therapists do, but really, we do the work.
Do you like to read books about self-help? Why or why not? I used The Courage to Heal by Laura Davis and Ellen Bass as a Bible when I was starting to heal. Now I don't read as many, but I believe they can help a lot when the time is right.
What is your favorite thing about yourself? Oh goodness...I like my courage, and my strength. It took me a long time to see that I have some, and now I am very pleased with it. :-)
What are you most proud of in your life? I am proud of what I am doing now. I am working to try and figure out what makes me happy, and what works in my life. Even though my family does not like it, a lot of my friends don't understand it, and it's harder than all hell, I am working my ass off and getting it done. I am most proud of that-for sure.

Comments

Posted by: Unseen (nadirri)
Posted at: June 1st, 2006 05:45 pm (UTC)

Holly, if you don't mind me asking, how are you disabled? I can relate to what you said about needing another person to point you to your accomplishments. My therapist often tells me that i don't take any credit for my progress and accomplishments; i am always reluctant to - it always seems like it's not good enough, like i could have done more and better.

Posted by: Holly (dramaqween2788)
Posted at: June 2nd, 2006 12:28 am (UTC)

Hi!

I have a strictly physical form of Cerebral Palsy (CP). I've noticed my social worker pointing things out to me more recently, but it still feels like I'm a burden or letting people down! I'm right there with you:)

Posted at: June 2nd, 2006 01:10 am (UTC)

Brittany,

I fixed the interests. I can create a memories section called "resources" if you put the stuff on the userinfo under it. Instead of links on the side bar, maybe we can do insparational quotes? That's it for now - have a good weekend:)

Holly

Posted by: Angela (aka: Ang) (4pawsntail)
Posted at: June 4th, 2006 01:28 am (UTC)

Love the inspirational quotes section! I think it's a great idea!:)

Posted at: June 4th, 2006 01:34 am (UTC)

Now we just have to find quotes lol. Will work on that and the memories/tags tomorrow! :) -Holly

5 Read Comments