?

No account? Create an account
_Survivors_
A safe space to share stories and ask questions
I've been having trouble sleeping the past week or so and when I… 
23rd-May-2007 07:11 pm

I've been having trouble sleeping the past week or so and when I finally DO sleep, I'll wake up in the middle of the night with pretty severe and painful body memories.
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for handling them better. Since it happens in the middle of the night I'm usualy not awake enough to do much but wait it out and having to do so is just making my restless nights worse.

Basically, I need sleep I would REALLY appreciate help on getting some.
The only thing that works at keeping me asleep is tylenol pm or bennadryl and it's recently occurred to me that I might be slightly addicted to them and I'm trying to stop taking them.
I'm just under so much stress.

Anyway, ANY suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you.
Comments 
23rd-May-2007 11:55 pm (UTC)
I have something called vaginismus, which is a result of physical trauma i endured. So my doctor recomended i go to physical therapy. It has helped alot, she does alot of relax training with me, and excersise. It helps me sleep better too. You should ask your doctor where you can get some :) i hope that helps, and you sleep better!
24th-May-2007 10:29 pm (UTC)
Thank you.
24th-May-2007 02:32 am (UTC)
Exercise seems to help me. 10 quick jumping jacks, for instance. So does breathing into the pain or discomfort. What I mean by that is: being aware of where my body is uncomfortable or hurting, taking a deep breath in, and when I do, imagine that oxygen going straight to that part of my body. After a minute or two I can usually relax again.

Good luck,
B.
24th-May-2007 10:22 pm (UTC)
Thank you.
I'll try this.
24th-May-2007 02:38 am (UTC)
Something I would highly recommend actually is aromatherapy. If you pick a smell that is comforting, whether it's lavender or just your favorite perfume, you can *instantly* trigger a soothing emotional reaction just by smelling that favorite scent.

It can override even the strongest of body memories, and help get you to a place where you can use your cognitive coping skills faster, which means getting to sleep faster, too.
24th-May-2007 10:21 pm (UTC)
Thank you.
I tried this last night and it really calmed me down.
24th-May-2007 10:40 pm (UTC)
Yay! I'm glad it worked!
This page was loaded Nov 15th 2019, 8:53 pm GMT.