?

No account? Create an account
_Survivors_
A safe space to share stories and ask questions
Hi All. I think this is my first time making a post here, Im not… 
13th-May-2007 10:35 pm
newdefault
Hi All. I think this is my first time making a post here, Im not sure though.

Well, this week has been hell. My rapist was arrested for raping another girl and now the police want me to testify. After they wouldnt help my in the first place!! Am I the ONLY one who thinks this is pure BULLSHIT!!! Im so MAD!

So its like im starting all over with the nightmares, and flashbacks, and panic attacks. I just dont know what to do. Should I? Shouldnt I? I think I might just pull my hair out!

Ok, Im done screaming and whining for now. Im just so tired of crying and having this asshole invade my life, I just want to move on for fucks sake!

Comments 
14th-May-2007 08:25 am (UTC)
I don't know if you should or shouldn't testify (I never got to make such a decision), but all I know is I wish I could punch those officers who wouldn't help you and needed another person to be raped to take it seriously. That is total bullshit! I am sorry you went through that, and I'm sorry that dealing is so hard right now.
14th-May-2007 03:14 pm (UTC)
Welcome to the community.

It's so frustrating that they're now asking for your help after not believing you the first time, however that's how a lot of police stations work - until there are two complaints on record, they won't move forward with charges. It's a stupid, stupid policy that a lot of people adopt - and it burns more bridges between the police and survivors than anything else.

It's tough that your symptoms have gone back up since they contacted you - try to take an extra few minutes every day to do something you really love, as that can help you get a bit of a break from the flashbacks and panic attacks.

What I'd recommend is asking the police what they want. There's a big difference in stress level between having to submit a written testament of what happened to you and having to sit at a court and be questioned - and that could really help. Ask them what your options are, because some states give you the option of video testimony of an "impact statement" which can spare you the cross-examination of the rapist's defense lawyer.
This page was loaded Nov 12th 2019, 3:49 pm GMT.