mauvedragon (mauvedragon) wrote in _survivors_,
mauvedragon
mauvedragon
_survivors_

Why I hate Mother's Day

I've had a bad day, depression wise. My subconscious has been producing thoughts of self harm again although there is no real drive behind them. It's partially stress, fatigue, me starting to be sick again and partially Mother's Day.

Dear Mum,
I just couldn't face another Mother's Day. I regret that this means I don't get to see my brother for his birthday but so be it. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

You emotionally, verbally and occasionally physically abused me for years. You disrepected my beliefs, my feelings and my wishes. I'll always remember the lack of support when my friend Mark died of cancer in '04. I may not have ever met him but I was still grieving. You'd brought me up to be your little girl and then as a teen and young adult, you failed me again, and again.

I'm at the point where if you don't start respecting the boundaries I set, I will have nothing to do with you. Stop trying to change me. This is non-negotiable if you want to keep having a relationship with me. The next thing we'll be doing is having both of us visit my clinical psychologist. However, unless there's a change, I'm quite prepared to cut down the communication to a bare minimum. I'm prepared for the consequences, are you?

Your loving and angry daughter.
Tags: boundaries, depression, family, stress
Subscribe

• Thought-Stirring Post: Mother's Day.

PUBLIC ENTRY Most countries around the world celebrate Mother's Day today, the second Sunday of May. For many of us, the holiday brings mixed…

• Thought Stirring Question: Public

This is a member-requested topic: Many survivors experience discomfort or unease with physical contact after rape or abuse. It can be very difficult…

• Thought Stirring Question: Public

Going along with last week's theme of practicing coping skills, this week we're going to focus on practicing boundary-setting, asking for things you…

• Post a new comment

Error

Comments allowed for members only

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic

Your reply will be screened

Your IP address will be recorded 

• 4 comments