?

No account? Create an account
_Survivors_
A safe space to share stories and ask questions
I think this is the first time that I've posted in this community,… 
23rd-Dec-2006 01:45 pm
chirp
I think this is the first time that I've posted in this community, but I have been lurking for a long time. I felt that I should post because I feel that I'm starting to have some issues with my past once again. This is my story, copied from another entry. It's sometimes too much to try and write it all out again.

My aggressor actually was my partner who I stayed with for nearly four years despite the abuse. He had pressured me to sleep with him early in the relationship and I had issues with this because I had chosen to wait until marriage. I eventally consented reluctantly. We still didn't do it frequently and this irritated him. After a few times, he wanted to be more adventurous and try new positions that I knew I would be uncomfortable doing. I kept saying no and he would always get mad. Eventually he just forced himself on me and forced me into one of the positions. It hurt, like something was ripping at me. I was in denial for so long afterwards. I didn't want to admit that it could happen to me. I kept screaming and crying for him to stop. Evenutally he did, but he wasn't sorry. He was mad at me for not enjoying it. He would still force himself on me from time to time. In particular, I started to dread his birthday, when he was drunk, when we argued (because he believed he had the right to demand more during make-up sex), and when I returned to our place after visiting my family (who lived in a different city) for a few weeks. He was more agressive and forceful particularly during these times. If he did not completely force himself on me, he would just do certain things without asking me fully knowing that I didn't like them. His philosophy was that I should have been willing to do things to make him happy even if I didn't like them or was not comfortable with them. It was only towards the end that I realized I didn't have to take it. In addition, there were also aspects of emotional and physical abuse on the relationship. I came home to my parents' place during the summer of 2005 and decided that I was not going back. I ended the relationship in writing (because I just could not see him or hear his voice at this point). I was having so many panic attacks. I was afraid to check my e-mail because I was always afraid he would send nasty messages to me (which he did occasionally). His angry phone calls would sometimes leave me shaking.

I originally wrote this about a year ago. Since then I have started into a great career in education, begun a new relationship with a great guy and have gone to counseling. But sometimes I still feel as degraded, angry and depressed as I did when I first left my ex. There are still certain parts of the day where I think about it and I'm enraged.
I particularly think back to it when I'm in the shower (basically anything that requires me to be completely exposed). I just feel the need to stay covered up as much as possible adn even a year and a half later, I don't think that part of it has improved at all. I discussed this when I was counseling. It must have comeup at every session. But there has been no improvement when it comes to this. Has anyone else ever felt this way?
Also, are there any ways to deal with the remaining anger after some time has passed? dso I basically just have to wait for it to stop hurting as much? I have tried things such as yoga and meditiation. I get worried about my temper. I'm very snappy when someone does some behaviour that reminds me of what my ex used to do. It's just so difficult as I was naturally an emotional person even before this happened. I would love to hear about anything that you all have used to cope with the residual anger after a lot of time has passed.

Comments 
24th-Dec-2006 07:04 pm (UTC)
I was in a similar relationship when I was in high school... it lasted nearly a year and still haunts me 3 years later. I've learned that it has nothing to do with the amount of time between now and the time it happened, but with how you USE your time to deal with it.

A lot of my coping has been unsuccessful and misguided, so while I have come a ways from where I was a year or two ago, I still have panic attacks and there are still places in town that I avoid like the plague.

My anger is still very much there. If his name is brought up (which is rare), I still have a whole slew of profanities to follow it with. I still will get very uncomfortable. However, recently, I have decided that I would like to run into him again. I would like to see him now that I am a whole person, with a successful life and loving friends, and know that he has none of that. I can be very vengeful and vindictive when scorned (and very loyal to friends.. I'm not a complete asshole), and he definitely takes the cake.

I also will talk to a friend, or sometimes my boyfriend. I am still haunted by dreams (I actually had one last night), and still have panic attacks.

I'm not saying this to discourage you... but to let you know that it doesn't always go away in a timely manner. Take care and best of luck to you *♥*
25th-Dec-2006 02:41 am (UTC)
i'm not really in the best place to give any advices. but sending you lots of hugs.
25th-Dec-2006 11:29 pm (UTC)
blueserenity22 said so much of what I wanted to say.

I definitely still get stuck in that anger - it's part of how traumatic memory is stored. It's like our brains put those emotions away in a ziplock bag, so every time we open them, they're fresh and intense and overwhelming. It can be frustrating to be living a life that is positive and happy, and have those feelings come back up and feel like it's ruining the good things. When I feel that way, I get even angrier, and my temper gets short, too.

The thing that helps me the most with everything, is processing what I went through - writing down or talking about what I experienced and how it made me feel. Sifting through those emotions, and seeing where our inner-critics come from (so often we feel like we're bad or ugly because we were treated like we didn't matter), can help lower that intensity.

Processing what you've been through gets easier each time through, and it does take some time for the intensity of the emotions to lower, but the feelings do get less intense over time. There are still times when I seethe with anger for what happened to me, but it doesn't overwhelm me like it used to.

I think one of the most helpful things for me was to acknowledge I had a right to be angry - that my abusers had no right to treat me like that. Acknowledging that I had a reason to be angry always made me feel better, because it acknowledged all the pain I'd been through, and that I did deserve to be happy and loved and respected.
This page was loaded Sep 19th 2019, 12:37 pm GMT.